Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from regular migraines and chronic daily headache and so my neurologist recently suggested that I suffer from medication overdose headache - I've binned all my painkillers but the withdrawl is really difficult.

Does anyone have any tips for how to cope with this detox? I couldn't leave my bed for two whole days it's been so bad.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    I suffer from regular migraines and chronic daily headache and so my neurologist recently suggested that I suffer from medication overdose headache - I've binned all my painkillers but the withdrawl is really difficult.

Does anyone have any tips for how to cope with this detox? I couldn't leave my bed for two whole days it's been so bad.
    You just need to wait it out really. Remember that it is better on the other side and you just need to hold on until then.
    When I was coming off antidepressants I just had to push through any way I could. Anything that helps you pass the time do it. For me it was usually sleep and I just slept through most of the withdrawl. You might be able to get some advice from a pharmacist (you could call since you probably won't be wanting to leave the house).

Did your doc advise you on how to come off? Are you reducing gradually or going cold turkey? If cold turky is too difficult gradual reduction may be a better option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    You just need to wait it out really. Remember that it is better on the other side and you just need to hold on until then.
    When I was coming off antidepressants I just had to push through any way I could. Anything that helps you pass the time do it. For me it was usually sleep and I just slept through most of the withdrawl. You might be able to get some advice from a pharmacist (you could call since you probably won't be wanting to leave the house).

Did your doc advise you on how to come off? Are you reducing gradually or going cold turkey? If cold turky is too difficult gradual reduction may be a better option.
    I've done loads of research on this and both the internet and my neurologist say I have to go cold turkey - just stressed because I haven't managed to go into school yet this week; exams are coming up and I'm already behind.

I'm resting and drinking loads of fluids but the boredom is almost as bad as the pain haha. It's good to know that other people have got through this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by nverjvlev)
    I've done loads of research on this and both the internet and my neurologist say I have to go cold turkey - just stressed because I haven't managed to go into school yet this week; exams are coming up and I'm already behind.

I'm resting and drinking loads of fluids but the boredom is almost as bad as the pain haha. It's good to know that other people have got through this.
    Well if cold turkey is what is advised then you'll have to stick to that. I know what you mean about the boredom. Try to find something to watch or a game to play or anything to pass the time. Even stupid videos on youtube can be a salvation.

Don't worry about school. You can get allowances if it messes you up too much. Maybe talk to your teachers when you get back so they can help you catch up. Your health is more important than school. Exams can be re-taken and special circumstances made. Your health isn't so easy to fix.

Best wishes. Hope the withdrawl is over soon and your headaches get better

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.