Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, before I chose University of Kent as my firm choice, I would like to ask a little bit about the university itself. Any current students (or prospective students) that know life in University of Kent that would like to share with me? Mainly, I am concerned about the people, staffs, daily life, workload and stress during the studies (I am taking a top-up course in Business). However, if there is any fun or informative information, you may also share it with me.

Lots of thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishb_)
    So, before I chose University of Kent as my firm choice, I would like to ask a little bit about the university itself. Any current students (or prospective students) that know life in University of Kent that would like to share with me? Mainly, I am concerned about the people, staffs, daily life, workload and stress during the studies (I am taking a top-up course in Business). However, if there is any fun or informative information, you may also share it with me.

Lots of thanks!
    Hi there, I graduated quite a while ago now (2011) but I was just having a quick browse on the Kent forums to see how things were going and I noticed your message about university life there.
    I'm not sure how much it's changed over the last few years, but when I was there I had a great time. I wasn't the most outgoing in-your-face type of student, but I had a close group of friends and we did a lot of things and went to a lot of places together (mainly pubs!).
    I was a humanities student, so I wouldn't know about the Business school side of things (although one of my friends, no, TWO of them were studying Business as I recall), but I found that the staff on my course were generally passionate about the subject they were teaching/researching and were there to hand when you needed them.
    On the campus alone there are many things to do in terms of nightlife. Tons of societies to join and at least four student bars (when I was an undergrad) each with a different atmosphere. The Parkwood student village was like a little town in itself with its own bar, shop and laundry facilities. I lived right at the back near the Crab and Winkle Way path that leads to Whitstable.
    Canterbury is an excellent place to live and study - it's Kent after all, the home of Shepherd Neame ales (only important if you like that sort of thing I guess, but a big thing for me!) and there are so many nice pubs in town.

As I say, I can't really comment on workload. I found it managable but I know of some people who had a greater workload which mainly depended on what degree they were studying for.

Anyway, hope this helps...although I see you posted four weeks ago so this response might be a bit redundant by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyMajic)
    Hi there, I graduated quite a while ago now (2011) but I was just having a quick browse on the Kent forums to see how things were going and I noticed your message about university life there.
    I'm not sure how much it's changed over the last few years, but when I was there I had a great time. I wasn't the most outgoing in-your-face type of student, but I had a close group of friends and we did a lot of things and went to a lot of places together (mainly pubs!).
    I was a humanities student, so I wouldn't know about the Business school side of things (although one of my friends, no, TWO of them were studying Business as I recall), but I found that the staff on my course were generally passionate about the subject they were teaching/researching and were there to hand when you needed them.
    On the campus alone there are many things to do in terms of nightlife. Tons of societies to join and at least four student bars (when I was an undergrad) each with a different atmosphere. The Parkwood student village was like a little town in itself with its own bar, shop and laundry facilities. I lived right at the back near the Crab and Winkle Way path that leads to Whitstable.
    Canterbury is an excellent place to live and study - it's Kent after all, the home of Shepherd Neame ales (only important if you like that sort of thing I guess, but a big thing for me!) and there are so many nice pubs in town.

As I say, I can't really comment on workload. I found it managable but I know of some people who had a greater workload which mainly depended on what degree they were studying for.

Anyway, hope this helps...although I see you posted four weeks ago so this response might be a bit redundant by now.
    Your reply is actually really helpful! Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.