Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I've just had my braces fitted today on my upper and lower set of teeth at the age of 21. They're traditional metal, traintrack NHS braces.

All my upper teeth have a bracket and wire gong through the bracket as you would expect but my lower ones doesn't. My dentist has only installed the brackets and wires on some teeth and says it's due to how crowded and crooked they are. She says she'll put these on at next appointment as teeth begin to straighten and there's enough room, is this normal?

Who cares they'll be on for such a short amount of time then you'll have great teeth for the rest of your life

ReputationRep:
    well they will move back after a while slowly and marginally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    well they will move back after a while slowly and marginally.
    ..unless you wear a retainer at regular intervals, and for the rest of your life. I've just shelled out on the Invisalign braces, for my 15yr old, fitted to the interior of the teeth, and therefore not readily visible. She'll be in deep trouble if she doesn't do the necessary maintenance.

ReputationRep:
    yes it's normal, I had braces for 3 years and I got them off a few weeks ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    ..unless you wear a retainer at regular intervals, and for the rest of your life. I've just shelled out on the Invisalign braces, for my 15yr old, fitted to the interior of the teeth, and therefore not readily visible. She'll be in deep trouble if she doesn't do the necessary maintenance.
    Well. I wear my retainers every single night for 8 hours and have done since my braces came off over a year ago (have missed a handful of nights when I was out drinking etc). I also have metal wires across top and bottom but it has moved a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parx)
    Well. I wear my retainers every single night for 8 hours and have done since my braces came off over a year ago (have missed a handful of nights when I was out drinking etc). I also have metal wires across top and bottom but it has moved a bit.
    Was it still worth it? *Crossing fingers and holding breath*

ReputationRep:
    It was worth it, yep. Very expensive but it was I think.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.