Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should lottery winners be forced to go public? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should lottery winners be forced to go public?
    Lottery winners should be allowed to be anonymous if they wish.
    95.83%
    Lottery winners should be made public regardless of their wishes
    4.17%

ReputationRep:
    I think all lottery jackpot winners should not be allowed anonymity. The reason is because we all pay for our tickets when we play and when somebody wins its a share of our money that goes to the winner. As ticket buying players we should be allowed to see the identity of the winner to ensure its all above board.
    The lottery is supposed to be a peoples lottery and as such winners should be publicised whether they want to or not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i smell a sore loser

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading an article about a past lottery winner who had a terrible time after going public with winning due to people threatening his family trying to extort money from him and such like.

That, plus the fact that this achieves effectively nothing, is enough for me to say nah stop bein butthurt about never winning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    I remember reading an article about a past lottery winner who had a terrible time after going public with winning due to people threatening his family trying to extort money from him and such like.

That, plus the fact that this achieves effectively nothing, is enough for me to say nah stop bein butthurt about never winning.
    I agree with anonymity if it stops criminals pestering winners but often a lot of people are needy people such as disabled, welfare sanction victims, homeless etc who may ask a winner to spare some money just to see them ok for a while.
    Alternatively it would be good if winners just donated to charities to help the needy. At the end of the day it is a peoples lottery and everyone should know who the winners are.

ReputationRep:
    Going public after winning the lottery is moronic.
    The idea of forcing people to do it is even more idiotic lol

ReputationRep:
    no!!!
    if that happened id be attacked and mugged by my ex or hed come snooping around like all the fake friends who come crawling out of the wood works!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I think all lottery jackpot winners should not be allowed anonymity. The reason is because we all pay for our tickets when we play and when somebody wins its a share of our money that goes to the winner. As ticket buying players we should be allowed to see the identity of the winner to ensure its all above board.
    The lottery is supposed to be a peoples lottery and as such winners should be publicised whether they want to or not.
    You may have a point but there may be something in the small-print which you are agreeing to by buying a ticket

At the end of the day it is a peoples lottery and everyone should know who the winners are.
    It's clearly not a 'people's lottery' in the way that you mean it. If it was, anonymity wouldn't currently be an option. Everyone who plays it knows that buying a ticket doesn't entitle them to anything other than a chance of winning. That's what you pay for -- the winner isn't somehow appropriating the money of everyone who didn't win.

Besides, where would you draw the line between 'winners' and 'losers?' Does only the jackpot winner count as a winner or does the guy down the pub who once won a fiver also count?

So, to summarise: no.

ReputationRep:
    Why? You have a roughly equal probability of winning whether its rigged or not anyway.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You miss out the point from the moment they win, it then becomes their money and they cna do with it as they like. Considering it exposes them to beggars and press intrusion never mind putting themsleves and their famils as kidnap and burglary targets, then no its a very bad idea to force someone to be subject to that.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day it is a peoples lottery and everyone should know who the winners are.
    This is a pointless line of reasoning. You've provided nothing beyond "it's the people's so it should be public" which doesn't provide any rational reason as to why.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be daft.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with anonymity if it stops criminals pestering winners but often a lot of people are needy people such as disabled, welfare sanction victims, homeless etc who may ask a winner to spare some money just to see them ok for a while.
    Alternatively it would be good if winners just donated to charities to help the needy. At the end of the day it is a peoples lottery and everyone should know who the winners are.
    The National Lottery is a commercial enterprise motivated primarily by avarice: so no, it's none of your ****ing business who wins what.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.