Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "SHORT" VERSION:
    I did first year psychology in northumbria (like high 40's in the league table), but i transferred to Newcastle (16th) for first year there and now I am sort of starting to regret this - Northumbria said they'd take me back for 2nd year but I am indecisive for the following reasons:
    1) The course is mind numbingly boring in NCLlike its insanely hard for me to concentrate, the course itself is much more demanding which is made harder by the fact that none of the modules interest me and the lecturers have no banter lol as opposed to northumbria especially the 2nd year module choices were right up my street - I FEEL LIKE i would more likely do well in Northumbria than NCL, but statistics online say otherwise (2:1 and over = NCL 95%: northumbria 85%)
    2) Another issue is one is a met the other is a RG - apparently this doesn't matter, what matters i work experience (under the condition you get a 2:1 or above) which leads me to my last issue...
    3) I feel like NCL has more opportunities in terms of work experience etc but I am not 100% sure, it's just what I have concluded from the recruitment fairs, careers service page and emails with opportunities

LONG VERSION:
    Okay so this is probably going to sound so weird, like nothing I've ever came across anyways, but I did psychology at northumbria for one year and I enjoyed it but hated how I didn't acc feel like I went to uni? Because we weren't at the main campus...

Anyways, so I transferred to NCL and did a year here, and I asked Northumbria if they'd take me back into second year they said yes - even though the facilities etc at NCL are good, its a way more overwhelming course in the sense that the course materials are more "abundant" - don't really know how else to describe it lol, its mind-numbingly boring, the statistics is on another level compared to at Northumbria and here stats goes all the way up to third year, whereas at Northumbria it's only first and second.

Also I loved the course in Northumbria like it was way more interesting - anyways my issue is:

1) Work experience/placements - its quite hard to secure a placement in NCL, you need to get a certain grade which I won't be getting as I kinda fxcked my first semester due to personal life issues getting in the way - I feel like theres more opportunities in NCL? But I have no idea I don't really have anything to compare it with because I didn't really explore work experience options in Northumbria

2) The uni itself - NCL is a more well regarded uni but does that even matter isn't it just the grade? Like I feel I'd more likely get a first in northumbria than NCL... like the lecturers have more bants, there's more guidance (felt like a college more than a uni), the modules are actually interesting... but obvs if work experience is easier to get a hold of here I may as well just stay? Even though I may find it harder in terms of exams and stuff, the workload just for first year is insane...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsychPrincess)
    x
    Newcastle is 100x better but obviously, I am biased.

At the end of the day, you shouldn't be looking at which university is higher in the league tables, you should be going for the course you like at the uni you like because that is what is going to give you the motivation to work harder and to stay interested in your course.

P.S. You probably know my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenigma)
    Newcastle is 100x better but obviously, I am biased.

At the end of the day, you shouldn't be looking at which university is higher in the league tables, you should be going for the course you like at the uni you like because that is what is going to give you the motivation to work harder and to stay interested in your course.

P.S. You probably know my friend.
    I mean don't get me wrong, the second year modules look much better than the first year ones, social, developmental, cognitive neuroscience, biological, abnormal, clinical, just to name a few - but at my old uni they had options like forensic, relationships, etc instead of just the generic ones - tbh those were the only ones I liked the rest were like health and shxt

but I just wish I could have a little pree on a second years blackboard account to see what the materials would look like, I like to compare and I already have access to second year blackboard at northumbria but I have no idea of what I am walking into here at 2nd year

I just want to make sure I make the decision thats best for my future

tbh I probably won't know her haha! I only know like two people on my course who aren't in my tutor group

edit: also this may sound a bit weird but I am half arab and nobody else on my course here is or this uni even, very little asians or arabs, whereas back in northumbria theres looaaadddssss - pakistanis, bengalis, arabs are the type of people I mesh well with
    also I found people at northumbria much easier to get along with and more down to earth that here - here I feel insanely lonely.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I mean don't get me wrong, the second year modules look much better than the first year ones, social, developmental, cognitive neuroscience, biological, abnormal, clinical, just to name a few - but at my old uni they had options like forensic, relationships, etc instead of just the generic ones - tbh those were the only ones I liked the rest were like health and shxt

but I just wish I could have a little pree on a second years blackboard account to see what the materials would look like, I like to compare and I already have access to second year blackboard at northumbria but I have no idea of what I am walking into here at 2nd year

I just want to make sure I make the decision thats best for my future

tbh I probably won't know her haha! I only know like two people on my course who aren't in my tutor group

edit: also this may sound a bit weird but I am half arab and nobody else on my course here is or this uni even, very little asians or arabs, whereas back in northumbria theres looaaadddssss - pakistanis, bengalis, arabs are the type of people I mesh well with
    also I found people at northumbria much easier to get along with and more down to earth that here - here I feel insanely lonely.
    Can you not speak to your personal tutor and ask them if you can see next year's module material? I'm sure if you explain your situation, someone in the department would be willing to help you with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    Can you not speak to your personal tutor and ask them if you can see next year's module material? I'm sure if you explain your situation, someone in the department would be willing to help you with this.
    Its not even year 2 thats bothering me now... it's the year 3 options
    Northumbria has options like alcoholism, sleep, hormones and behaviour, counselling, working memory at work, consumer psychology, psychology of the internet, mindfulness..... which we only need MAX 2 per semester, or 1 per semester plus a year long option (placement, or another form of experience)

Whereas my current uni wants us to have 80 credits worth of OPTIONAL modules in third year... ontop of one compulsory module AND a dissertation - these modules are like dementia, psychology of religion, consumer psychology, art/mind/brain, evolution and behaviour, evolutionary medicine, case studies in damaged brains, cooperation, sex and nature, face perception, eating disorders, disorders of development, teaching and learning psych.... these are suchhhhh boring modules... I can't imagine having to take 4 per semester ontop of a compulsory module and my disso... but this is a way better uni in leagues and apparently i'll get jobs easier but nobody gets a job straight out of psychology degree anyways don't they go get a masters which is the uni that matters right? where u get ur masters?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Its not even year 2 thats bothering me now... it's the year 3 options
    Northumbria has options like alcoholism, sleep, hormones and behaviour, counselling, working memory at work, consumer psychology, psychology of the internet, mindfulness..... which we only need MAX 2 per semester, or 1 per semester plus a year long option (placement, or another form of experience)

Whereas my current uni wants us to have 80 credits worth of OPTIONAL modules in third year... ontop of one compulsory module AND a dissertation - these modules are like dementia, psychology of religion, consumer psychology, art/mind/brain, evolution and behaviour, evolutionary medicine, case studies in damaged brains, cooperation, sex and nature, face perception, eating disorders, disorders of development, teaching and learning psych.... these are suchhhhh boring modules... I can't imagine having to take 4 per semester ontop of a compulsory module and my disso... but this is a way better uni in leagues and apparently i'll get jobs easier but nobody gets a job straight out of psychology degree anyways don't they go get a masters which is the uni that matters right? where u get ur masters?
    You do sound as if you would prefer to be back at Northumbria. It's not worthwhile going somewhere for another 2 years if you're not going to be happy. Also you're more likely to get a better degree result if you're somewhere you're happier.

I couldn't comment about psychology job prospects though because I don't know enough about that sorry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.