Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I completed my Alevels last year, achieving BBC and have taken a year out, working full time. I've received all five offers from Coventry, Bangor, Bath spa, swansea and brighton.... however none of them have called out to me like Sheffield and Leeds did when I was expecting ABB results. Resitting basically isn't an option but is there any way that if I were to ring up other universities and explain my situation that they would take me on???
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sallydevlin2)
    I completed my Alevels last year, achieving BBC and have taken a year out, working full time. I've received all five offers from Coventry, Bangor, Bath spa, swansea and brighton.... however none of them have called out to me like Sheffield and Leeds did when I was expecting ABB results. Resitting basically isn't an option but is there any way that if I were to ring up other universities and explain my situation that they would take me on???
    Clearing does start in July if you already have your results. However, unis might not know that early if they have spaces left. It's also unlikely they'd accept BBC if they're asking for ABB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Clearing does start in July if you already have your results. However, unis might not know that early if they have spaces left. It's also unlikely they'd accept BBC if they're asking for ABB.
    Can I ring up and speak to other unis even if I've already firmed another? Because I will have had to by that time
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Can I ring up and speak to other unis even if I've already firmed another? Because I will have had to by that time
    Yes. They might say you need to apply through Clearing to get an actual offer (which means you would need to decline your other offers) but if so you can ask if they think you'd be successful. Be prepared to answer questions about why you like the course and subject.

ReputationRep:
    Does that include declining my other offers before I'm certainly getting another then?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Does that include declining my other offers before I'm certainly getting another then?
    Yes. They might be willing to make an informal offer in writing but it can't go through on ucas without a period of uncertainty.

ReputationRep:
    your chances of getting into any university offering AAB are slim. Is there any reason you don't fancy these universities such as distance from home. Have you visited these universities. It might be worth trying that first as when you get there you might get a totally different impression. If however you intend staying in Yorkshire it might be worth looking at somewhere like Sheffield Hallam which might accept you on your grades. For what it is worth Swansea University has a stunning location and I honestly believe that you should check it out before coming to your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swansea jack 1)
    your chances of getting into any university offering AAB are slim. Is there any reason you don't fancy these universities such as distance from home. Have you visited these universities. It might be worth trying that first as when you get there you might get a totally different impression. If however you intend staying in Yorkshire it might be worth looking at somewhere like Sheffield Hallam which might accept you on your grades. For what it is worth Swansea University has a stunning location and I honestly believe that you should check it out before coming to your decision.
    I quite agree visit all the uni's before you say no

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.