Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE grades were 2 A* 10 As and 1B and I am taking an astronomy GCSE next year (purely for my entertainment but hoping for a good grade).

I'm very interested in applying for a place at a university in course for medicine, but I am also aware that ideally I needed some more of the my A grades to be A* grades instead.

Realistically is there a chance of me being accepted into medicine, and if there are any particular universities that I might have a greater or lower chance of being accepted. I'm currently studying AS biology, chemistry, physics, and geography (predicted AS grades A/B). I aim to carry all of my current subjects to A-level and obviously I hope to get good results (AABB - AAAA) this year.

Will my GCSE results hinder my success?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E10D1E_17)
    My GCSE grades were 2 A* 10 As and 1B and I am taking an astronomy GCSE next year (purely for my entertainment but hoping for a good grade).

I'm very interested in applying for a place at a university in course for medicine, but I am also aware that ideally I needed some more of the my A grades to be A* grades instead.

Realistically is there a chance of me being accepted into medicine, and if there are any particular universities that I might have a greater or lower chance of being accepted. I'm currently studying AS biology, chemistry, physics, and geography (predicted AS grades A/B). I aim to carry all of my current subjects to A-level and obviously I hope to get good results (AABB - AAAA) this year.

Will my GCSE results hinder my success?
    Those are good grades, you just need to be strategic about how you apply and avoid the GCSE-heavy unis. You'll know better where to apply when you have your AS grades and UKCAT score. There are guides on the medicine wiki here
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theresheglows)
    Those are good grades, you just need to be strategic about how you apply and avoid the GCSE-heavy unis. You'll know better where to apply when you have your AS grades and UKCAT score. There are guides on the medicine wiki here
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths
    Thanks, the information on the link was helpful

ReputationRep:
    Play to your strengths - your grades aren't particularly strong, but if your experience/interview skills are good, then apply to a place that doesn't prioritise grades, and gives out more interviews per applicant. When I applied, one of my friends with pretty terrible grades applied, but scraped an interview - then thanks to their superb interview abilities, got an offer.

If you suck at interviews, then you may find it quite difficult to secure a place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.