Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Campaign Director of Vote Leave questioned in Commons Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not normally one for starting new threads, but this utter fiasco has animated me. Godwin's Law has finally reached the referendum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36094108

Mr. Cummings seems to symbolise everything that's utterly unhinged about the Leave campaign. A bizarre attachment and obsession with comparing the EU to the Nazis. Hand-waved made-up figures. A misunderstanding of how the EU works and how the money moves.

I loved this bit:

"There are huge amounts of ways in which the EU costs us money," he said. "At some point in the campaign we will be totting this all up and we will send you a copy of the full bill."
    Haven't the Leave campaigners had YEARS to tot this all up???

ReputationRep:
    I watched some of it. I've heard of this Cummings guy, seems a character.* This committee and Boris's have been very revealing. Massive respect to the Tory chair tyrnie- absolute credit to the house regardless of what position he takes.

*There this actor that always gets cast as this schizo druggie with tics and stuff who always thinks the Feds are following him. Can't remember his name but this guy could give him s run for his money.

ReputationRep:
    This really needs to be disseminated on Twitter and stuff so people can laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    This really needs to be disseminated on Twitter and stuff so people can laugh.
    Yeah I think the IN campaign should be a tad more agressive towards them. The first two videos here are pretty good;
    https://m.facebook.com/StrongerInCam...deos/?mt_nav=1

ReputationRep:
    gladders do you have a link to the whole video?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    gladders do you have a link to the whole video?
    http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index...f-b05fde360ed6

ReputationRep:
    It gets better, folks:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...P=share_btn_tw

ReputationRep:
    Watching the whole thing now.

This should be compulsory viewing. He is very civilly getting torn apart. Disgusting they tried to get away with using the nhs logo for their political propaganda. Ina cancer ward I believe. Stay classy vote leave.

ReputationRep:
    It's being described as the moment Vote Leave jumped the shark.

ReputationRep:
    Jacob Rees moggs face sums it up perfect,y

ReputationRep:
    Screenshot?

ReputationRep:
    This is an absolute joke, and I'm someone who has no love for the EU.

That said, I think he does represent a significant fragment of Eurosceptics (though far from a majority) who just seem to see the EU as 'foreign', and therefore inherently bad (rather than judging it on any particular policy or structural basis), and who thus see leaving as an objective good to be achieved by any means, with the referendum more of an obstacle to be navigated rather than a measure of public democratic opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    This is an absolute joke, and I'm someone who has no love for the EU.

That said, I think he does represent a significant fragment of Eurosceptics (though far from a majority) who just seem to see the EU as 'foreign', and therefore inherently bad (rather than judging it on any particular policy or structural basis), and who thus see leaving as an objective good to be achieved by any means, with the referendum more of an obstacle to be navigated rather than a measure of public democratic opinion.
    This is dangerous for the Leave campaign, because failure to make a coherent case allows MPs who are currently backing Leave to change sides at the last minute without dishonour

ReputationRep:
    Rees mogg came across like a complete slimeball I thought, i usually quite like him too. Steve baker came across very well I thought.

Helen goodman and the chair were very good.

I think it was the young labour guy who summed it up best, In that Cummings has a coherent image of what he wants but practically no real method of achieving it other than making some very dubious claims with no evidence to back it up. I think 'Alladins cave' sums it up well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.