Campaign Director of Vote Leave questioned in Commons

Watch
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm not normally one for starting new threads, but this utter fiasco has animated me. Godwin's Law has finally reached the referendum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36094108

Mr. Cummings seems to symbolise everything that's utterly unhinged about the Leave campaign. A bizarre attachment and obsession with comparing the EU to the Nazis. Hand-waved made-up figures. A misunderstanding of how the EU works and how the money moves.

I loved this bit:

"There are huge amounts of ways in which the EU costs us money," he said. "At some point in the campaign we will be totting this all up and we will send you a copy of the full bill."
Haven't the Leave campaigners had YEARS to tot this all up???
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I watched some of it. I've heard of this Cummings guy, seems a character.* This committee and Boris's have been very revealing. Massive respect to the Tory chair tyrnie- absolute credit to the house regardless of what position he takes.

*There this actor that always gets cast as this schizo druggie with tics and stuff who always thinks the Feds are following him. Can't remember his name but this guy could give him s run for his money.
gladders
Rep:
?
This really needs to be disseminated on Twitter and stuff so people can laugh.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gladders)
This really needs to be disseminated on Twitter and stuff so people can laugh.
Yeah I think the IN campaign should be a tad more agressive towards them. The first two videos here are pretty good;
https://m.facebook.com/StrongerInCam...deos/?mt_nav=1
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
gladders do you have a link to the whole video?
gladders
Rep:
?
(Original post by Davij038)
gladders do you have a link to the whole video?
http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index...f-b05fde360ed6
gladders
Rep:
?
It gets better, folks:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...P=share_btn_tw
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Watching the whole thing now.

This should be compulsory viewing. He is very civilly getting torn apart. Disgusting they tried to get away with using the nhs logo for their political propaganda. Ina cancer ward I believe. Stay classy vote leave.
gladders
Rep:
?
It's being described as the moment Vote Leave jumped the shark.
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Jacob Rees moggs face sums it up perfect,y
gladders
Rep:
?
Screenshot?
anarchism101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is an absolute joke, and I'm someone who has no love for the EU.

That said, I think he does represent a significant fragment of Eurosceptics (though far from a majority) who just seem to see the EU as 'foreign', and therefore inherently bad (rather than judging it on any particular policy or structural basis), and who thus see leaving as an objective good to be achieved by any means, with the referendum more of an obstacle to be navigated rather than a measure of public democratic opinion.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
This is an absolute joke, and I'm someone who has no love for the EU.

That said, I think he does represent a significant fragment of Eurosceptics (though far from a majority) who just seem to see the EU as 'foreign', and therefore inherently bad (rather than judging it on any particular policy or structural basis), and who thus see leaving as an objective good to be achieved by any means, with the referendum more of an obstacle to be navigated rather than a measure of public democratic opinion.
This is dangerous for the Leave campaign, because failure to make a coherent case allows MPs who are currently backing Leave to change sides at the last minute without dishonour
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Rees mogg came across like a complete slimeball I thought, i usually quite like him too. Steve baker came across very well I thought.

Helen goodman and the chair were very good.

I think it was the young labour guy who summed it up best, In that Cummings has a coherent image of what he wants but practically no real method of achieving it other than making some very dubious claims with no evidence to back it up. I think 'Alladins cave' sums it up well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads