Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I think i have had underlying ocd for a while but it's been getting progressively worse over the last academic year. I worry about things that nost people dont even think of. I dont know whether any of my worries are rational or i should just ignore them all. One of my fears is germ contamination, for example my dog stepped in dog poo then walked around the house and i may have stepped on it and i stepped on a carpet and my blanket and then eventually put my blanket on my bed, now i worry about dog poo germs being on my bed and whether i can actually use the blanket, even if i wash it, the germs would still be on my bed and things on my bed. Prior to this i felt the need to wash my feet whenever i walked on the carpet and felt like when i sat down the dog poo was transferred too. I wash my hands and clean way too much and check things a lot

ReputationRep:
    I'm going through something extremely similar to this.
    My advice, seek therapy before it gets out of control. I waited too long and I'm now a mess.
    But just realize that other people who live in the house don't wash and it has no impact on them at all.
    You have to not wash when you get this feeling on you. That's the only way to overcome it!
    It's hard (I know that from experience) but it's the only permanent method to eradicate your OCD!
    If you don't do anything soon, you will not be able to leave the house! Trust me on this. I was told the same thing, I didn't believe it and guess what, I ended up not being able to leave the house!

Feel free to ask me any questions you have and I'll do my best to you help you out!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by pinkstudent63)
    Hello. I think i have had underlying ocd for a while but it's been getting progressively worse over the last academic year. I worry about things that nost people dont even think of. I dont know whether any of my worries are rational or i should just ignore them all. One of my fears is germ contamination, for example my dog stepped in dog poo then walked around the house and i may have stepped on it and i stepped on a carpet and my blanket and then eventually put my blanket on my bed, now i worry about dog poo germs being on my bed and whether i can actually use the blanket, even if i wash it, the germs would still be on my bed and things on my bed. Prior to this i felt the need to wash my feet whenever i walked on the carpet and felt like when i sat down the dog poo was transferred too. I wash my hands and clean way too much and check things a lot
    Hi. Yeah it sounds like you could have some underlying OCD.

The fears aren't completely irrational since they could be possible, but being that afraid of it is. I have OCD (with a different focus) and I know how confusing it can be. I was terrified of what was happening to me. I thought I was going insane. CBT really helped me work things out and improve. You could look it up online. It's basically looking at your thought process and how to break that cycle of fear you get into.

I'd suggest you go see a doctor and see what they can do for you. I went to my doctor and it really helped. I had therapy and was put on meds (I also had depression). It was tough to push through and fight all the thoughs and everything but two years later I am almost completely OCD free. With OCD one of your best weapons for fighting it is knowledge. Once you know that it's in your head and not something to be scared of it is easier to start fighting it.

For me something that helped was having things I could use to help. Like my hands would often feel funny so i'd keep a specific moisturiser I liked in my handbag. I also had a bit of a germ phase and now I keep hand sanitiser with me so I can nip it in the bud an duse some hand sanitiser if i start getting worried about germs (for me it's about my hands and eating).
    If you can think of a couple of things like that for your thoughts it might help you a little to cope when you get the feelings sometimes.

I hope you manage to get on top of it soon. It is difficult but it is possible

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.