Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you learn a language alongside studying a degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to put in enough time on a daily basis to make steady progress at the same time as maintaining good marks on your degree course? I really wanna start learning French over the summer but I want to continue it during term-time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tourminator)
    Is it possible to put in enough time on a daily basis to make steady progress at the same time as maintaining good marks on your degree course? I really wanna start learning French over the summer but I want to continue it during term-time.
    Definitely.
    It is like taking a hobby/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Definitely.
    It is like taking a hobby/
    Yep true just like other mainstream activities i guess but more nerdy haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tourminator)
    Without a doubt, although some terms can be more hectic than others. My first term (2nd year) was a nightmare, courseworks due left, right and centre on top of revising for Jan exams. Second term was a walk in the park and I'm almost finished.

First year you have all the time in the world, in my first term (first year) I studied absolute beginners Arabic which was fun (I already knew a bit, lucky me). So don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Duolingo!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Putting in the time and effort every day might be difficult though. I've been doing it and have been working on it quite inconsistently to make sure I keep up with the uni work. Sometimes I'll work every free minute for days on it and sometimes have to put it on hold for a week or more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Yeah. Putting in the time and effort every day might be difficult though. I've been doing it and have been working on it quite inconsistently to make sure I keep up with the uni work. Sometimes I'll work every free minute for days on it and sometimes have to put it on hold for a week or more.
    Yeah thats what i was thinking too! We will see how it goes but i know that language learning is a great adventure. I think 30 mins to an hour is a very sustainable amount each day

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.