Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am considering attending there next year, I just don't know if it's a good journalism programme since it's an arts school.

ReputationRep:
    No journalism degree has a good reputation.

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody comment on the Journalism BA? Is it theory focused, practice focused or both? Do they do video editing and multimedia study is is it mostly written/print journalism? How is it compared to the Journalism BA at Goldsmith's? I'm an international student who hasn't had the chance to visit...so I'm a bit nervous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agavin2342)
    Can anybody comment on the Journalism BA? Is it theory focused, practice focused or both? Do they do video editing and multimedia study is is it mostly written/print journalism? How is it compared to the Journalism BA at Goldsmith's? I'm an international student who hasn't had the chance to visit...so I'm a bit nervous.
    Hey! I'm also an international student but I went to an open day the other day, Vivienne(the course leader) gave us a thorough insight on what the course would consist of. Mostly you have the two components(theoretical and practical) although you will only be evaluated through your coursework, when it comes to theory she told us we would probably have to write an essay about it. She also showed us the school magazine "artefact" which is just like a normal magazine, this gives students a good insight on what it means to work on a real newspaper, etc. You will also have the possibility to do Erasmus abroad( although as for now they only have an agreement with Danish university, nonetheless she told us they were trying to establish an agreement with a university in California). She made the course seem very interesting, once we got in we gathered in small groups and she asked us to do an exercise where we would have to find an interesting fact about each other, she then processed to explain to us what an anecdote, a quote, a lead etc were. At first I was also sort of apprehensive about the uni due to the fact that it was an arts uni and I was afraid they would somehow pay less attention to my course but that's certainly not the impression they gave me. I hope I was helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeatrizV)
    Hey! I'm also an international student but I went to an open day the other day, Vivienne(the course leader) gave us a thorough insight on what the course would consist of. Mostly you have the two components(theoretical and practical) although you will only be evaluated through your coursework, when it comes to theory she told us we would probably have to write an essay about it. She also showed us the school magazine "artefact" which is just like a normal magazine, this gives students a good insight on what it means to work on a real newspaper, etc. You will also have the possibility to do Erasmus abroad( although as for now they only have an agreement with Danish university, nonetheless she told us they were trying to establish an agreement with a university in California). She made the course seem very interesting, once we got in we gathered in small groups and she asked us to do an exercise where we would have to find an interesting fact about each other, she then processed to explain to us what an anecdote, a quote, a lead etc were. At first I was also sort of apprehensive about the uni due to the fact that it was an arts uni and I was afraid they would somehow pay less attention to my course but that's certainly not the impression they gave me. I hope I was helpful
    Thanks, that does help. I want to go into video journalism so I'm still a little nervous that I won't get enough video focused education. Did she talk about video editing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agavin2342)
    Thanks, that does help. I want to go into video journalism so I'm still a little nervous that I won't get enough video focused education. Did she talk about video editing?
    She said that we would be able to experiment a lot of things throughout the course; also, there's a subject called editing skills where(part 1 & part 2) so I suppose they'll give us the necessary tools to thrive on that journalism field. 1st year is all about experimenting and learning. I'm also torn between City, LCC & Westminster, I seriously don't know where to turn as it is quite difficult to make a decision aff. Good luck to you though! x

ReputationRep:
    My neighbour applied for BA Journalism at City, UAL and Goldsmith's. She chose City as the course has the right theory/practice balance for her. She had classes and was assigned various real life projects (interviews, research and writing assignments). There is a modern media lab and she found the City BA conducive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeatrizV)
    She said that we would be able to experiment a lot of things throughout the course; also, there's a subject called editing skills where(part 1 & part 2) so I suppose they'll give us the necessary tools to thrive on that journalism field. 1st year is all about experimenting and learning. I'm also torn between City, LCC & Westminster, I seriously don't know where to turn as it is quite difficult to make a decision aff. Good luck to you though! x
    Thank you so much! I'll keep digging for information, and hopefully come up with a positive answer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    University of the Arts London resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.