The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure about other boards, but for Edexcel, P3 goes in A Level Maths and P6 has to go in A Level FM. Apart from that, it's fine.
Reply 2
Im doing Edexcel. thanks for that.

Am i right in thinking that p1, m1 and s1 do not have to contribute to A2 Maths.

Can they be put in FM?
Reply 3
The EDEXCEL limitations are as follows.

P1, P2, P3 must be in Maths
P4, P5 must be in Further Maths (YES P5 is required and NO P6 is NOT)

No more than one x1 module in further maths.
Reply 4
so let me get this straight, for A2 maths and f.maths you can rearrange your modules to get the best score...as long as P6 is in fmaths and p3 in normal maths?

how do you no this?
Reply 5
you have to have a minimum number of "A2" modules in each a level too.. not sure how many... "A2" means a 2 or higher... eg S2, M2 or higher or D2... but for my AS further maths i needed at least one A2 module there on top of P4...
Reply 6
Valen
The EDEXCEL limitations are as follows.

P1, P2, P3 must be in Maths
P4, P5 must be in Further Maths (YES P5 is required and NO P6 is NOT)

No more than one x1 module in further maths.

Are you sure? SOmeone on here was telling me yesterday to chose P4, M2 and S1 for AS further maths I think.
Reply 7
edexcel:

Ordinary Maths
P1P2P3 are compulsoryand A maximum of 2 other level one units (M1S1D1)

Further Maths
P4P5 are compulsory and only one level one unit allowed.
Reply 8
so let me get this straight, for A2 maths and f.maths you can rearrange your modules to get the best score...as long as P6 is in fmaths and p3 in normal maths?

how do you no this?

I read the specifications!

P6 IS NOT REQUIRED

YOU MUST HAVE P1,P2,P3 in normal maths
and P4,P5 in further maths

Any other combination is valid as long as you only put ONE x1 module into further maths.

EDIT: and you can only have TWO other x1 modules in normal maths
Reply 9
mik1a
Are you sure? SOmeone on here was telling me yesterday to chose P4, M2 and S1 for AS further maths I think.

That is valid because it is AS further maths, which only has P4 as a required module, and only one x1 module (S1 in your case).
Reply 10
rockindemon
so let me get this straight, for A2 maths and f.maths you can rearrange your modules to get the best score

No. The exam board gives you the best overall mark (from the lowest possible UMS marks, I think) for your A Level Maths and then puts the other modules in A Level Further Maths (applied modules obviously, what Valen said about pure modules is right).
Reply 11
Nylex
No. The exam board gives you the best overall mark for your A Level Maths and then puts the other modules in A Level Further Maths.

Actually thats not strictly true, edexcel gives you the best overall GRADE for your normal maths, with the lowest mark (so if a valid combination gives exactly 480 marks, then they will use that one), they then put the remaining modules into the further maths. This method ensures that you get the best overall grades in both your a levels. The method quoted above, would likely give you a very high grade in normal maths, and then put all your weakest modules into the further maths, resulting in a lower grade.
Reply 12
Valen
Actually thats not strictly true, edexcel gives you the best overall GRADE for your normal maths, with the lowest mark (so if a valid combination gives exactly 480 marks, then they will use that one), they then put the remaining modules into the further maths. This method ensures that you get the best overall grades in both your a levels. The method quoted above, would likely give you a very high grade in normal maths, and then put all your weakest modules into the further maths, resulting in a lower grade.

Oops, sorry, I meant grade. Idiot (me, not you :smile:).
Reply 13
Its ok, I forgive you, twas an easy mistake to make.
ah i c. so it is feesible that u cud have p5 in normal maths if that combination works best.
Reply 15
rockindemon
ah i c. so it is feesible that u cud have p5 in normal maths if that combination works best.

No, the pure modules are fixed. It's only the applied modules that they can change around.
Reply 16
Nylex
No, the pure modules are fixed. It's only the applied modules that they can change around.

With the exception of P6, that can be changed around.
so could i have:
single maths:
P1
P2
P3
M1
D1
P6

Further Maths
P4
P5
M2
S1
S2
M3
Reply 18
lgs98jonee
so could i have:
single maths:
P1
P2
P3
M1
D1
P6

Further Maths
P4
P5
M2
S1
S2
M3

If you're doing edexcel, no you couldn't. Maths a-level has to be P1, P2 and P3 and 3 applied modules, at least one of which is an A2 module (ie not M1, S1 or D1). For further maths A-level, you have to have P4 and P5 plus 4 other units, including at least 3 applied units (D, M or S) and at least 3 A2 units. So if you're taking P6, it has to be included in further maths.

The full edexcel specification is here http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/25627.pdf
Reply 19
Valen
With the exception of P6, that can be changed around.

Their unit structure says you need P1-P3 and 3 applied units for A Level Maths.

Latest