Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a question...

My best chance of getting 2 A grades is with the following combinations:

Maths: P1, P2, P3, S1, D1, M3

Further Maths: P4, P5, P6, M1, M2, S2

Is this combination allowed?

Also, how do they allocate the modules come results time. Do they automatically work out each person's best two combinations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam99)
    I have a question...

Also, how do they allocate the modules come results time. Do they automatically work out each person's best two combinations?
    Yeah, that should be fine.

I think they work out the best 2 grades in some way - it will say on the edexcel website, probably in the specification (link earlier in thread)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam99)
    Apparently they work out the combination that gives the best grade for single maths with the lowest mark possible. (ie the worst A than you can get in most cases) Then they use the rest of the modules for further maths. Obviously this is within allowed combinations. Also seems to mean that working out how well you've done is more complicated Looks like forgetting about it till August is the best idea - don't think that's possible though

ReputationRep:
    I have drawn up a big ole spreadsheet and after each exam ive been putting in what i thought i got (minimum rough idea), and using it to work out what i need to get in the other modules, including the remaining exams. M4 and M6 on thursday and im done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam99)
    I have a question...

The M3 in that line up is a problem.

You can't have something in "Maths" that develops on units taken in the "Further Maths", it has to be the other way around.

So you'd have to stick M1 in Maths and M3 in Further - that then would be legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)

You can't have something in "Maths" that develops on units taken in the "Further Maths", it has to be the other way around.

So you'd have to stick M1 in Maths and M3 in Further - that then would be legal.
    But that would mean he has 3 AS applied units in Maths and you need at least 1 A2 applied unit in there. M3 would have to be swapped with S2 methinks.

ReputationRep:

It dosent say that is illegal on the edexcel website, you dont have to take M1 and M2 to take M3 if you dont want to, it would be exceedingly stupid not to, but you dont have to.

ReputationRep:
    oh shite...
    is my combination valid?
    P1-4
    S1-3
    M1 and D1
    any order should be ok... i am pretty sure all modules will be As except P4 which will be a B
    can i have P4, S1 and S2 in my further maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    can i have P4, S1 and S2 in my further maths?
    AS Further Maths? If so, Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    AS Further Maths? If so, Yes.
    Phew... so it would be ok to have P1-3, M1,D1 and S3 in a level then...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    Phew... so it would be ok to have P1-3, M1,D1 and S3 in a level then...?
    Yes that is a valid combination, and it leaves you with P4, S1 and S2 for Further Maths AS which is also valid. Sorted.

ReputationRep:

Are you 100% sure about this? This just about messes me up properly then, because i can only get a B, and my offer is AAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    Yes that is a valid combination, and it leaves you with P4, S1 and S2 for Further Maths AS which is also valid. Sorted.
    w00t... thanks... i got 2 As then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam99)
    Are you 100% sure about this? This just about messes me up properly then, because i can only get a B, and my offer is AAA
    Im 99% sure it isnt true. According to the edexcel website the valid units for normal maths include level 6 modules (M6/S6) and there is no way you can have all the modules up to that (bearing in mind P1/P2/P3 are compulsory) in one a level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    w00t... thanks... i got 2 As then
    Go you! Ive still got M4 (need an A) and M6 (need a high B) to get AAb in maths, further maths, and an extra as. (Im taking P1 to P6, M1 to M6, D1, D2, and S1, which is 15 modules or 2.5 A-Levels).

Yes i am masochistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    Go you! Ive still got M4 (need an A) and M6 (need a high B) to get AAb in maths, further maths, and an extra as. (Im taking P1 to P6, M1 to M6, D1, D2, and S1, which is 15 modules or 2.5 A-Levels).

Yes i am masochistic.
    omg... i could only do that if i didnt take any other a levels
    so you going for cambridge? you doing step?
    I am glad i took on the extra AS further maths (i had to learn it all (both a level and as further) myself though)... but i found it very easy... on relection i think i might of managed the whole a level further maths... thats would be P5, M2 and D2 extra for me
    I like taking the easiest options to max my chance of A grade
    Why didn't you do S2 and S3...? IMO they are the easiest applied modules in the whole A level maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    omg... i could only do that if i didnt take any other a levels
    so you going for cambridge? you doing step?
    I am glad i took on the extra AS further maths (i had to learn it all (both a level and as further) myself though)... but i found it very easy... on relection i think i might of managed the whole a level further maths... thats would be P5, M2 and D2 extra for me
    I like taking the easiest options to max my chance of A grade
    Why didn't you do S2 and S3...? IMO they are the easiest applied modules in the whole A level maths...
    Ive already got a place at Durham (i got rejected by cambridge) and please dont start on about Durham being full of rejects, cos its still one of the best uni's in the country. I missed the time for applying to take step, although i have done a few past Step II and Step III papers in my mathes lessons when i got board.

P5 is much harder than P4, but u might well have managed the A overall, with M2 and D2, although i might have chosen M2 and M3 were I in your place, but then I do physics and half the M3 course is covered in A2 physics.

I decided to do M6 instead of S2 (cos i had done up to M5 and wanted to complete it), and S3 coursework???

ReputationRep:
    If you look on the maths spec pdf on the edexcel website... there are certain combinations of things that have to go togethere (that are classed as synoptic units!) that should solve the prob!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    Ive already got a place at Durham (i got rejected by cambridge) and please dont start on about Durham being full of rejects, cos its still one of the best uni's in the country. I missed the time for applying to take step, although i have done a few past Step II and Step III papers in my mathes lessons when i got board.

P5 is much harder than P4, but u might well have managed the A overall, with M2 and D2, although i might have chosen M2 and M3 were I in your place, but then I do physics and half the M3 course is covered in A2 physics.

I decided to do M6 instead of S2 (cos i had done up to M5 and wanted to complete it), and S3 coursework???
    the coursework in S3 is easy!!! I do physics too... but my friends tell me that; although theres and overlap... the same stuff is harder in m3 than phy4...
    durhams is good uni... congrats...
    step when your bored...? lol
    if you take a gap year... you can do another a level in maths and step... then cambridge wont reject you... but anyways... durham is good so thats not really necessary
    M6... i never seen anyone who does that... its just too extreme!!!

ReputationRep:
    the coursework in S3 is easy!!! I do physics too... but my friends tell me that; although theres and overlap... the same stuff is harder in m3 than phy4...
    durhams is good uni... congrats...
    Yeah, I got a place at the castle collage, so if im lucky il be living in the castle! There is quite a bit of overlap, sure the same stuff is harder in m3, but it makes phy4 a breeze!

step when your bored...? lol
    Yeah, sometimes the maths lessons were boring, the step questions are much more interesting.

if you take a gap year... you can do another a level in maths and step... then cambridge wont reject you... but anyways... durham is good so thats not really necessary
    I really liked Durham when i went there for the open day (hoping i get to live in the castle!), in fact i liked it more than cambridge.

M6... i never seen anyone who does that... its just too extreme!!!
    Yeah im a little mad, but it ties everything before then together (full 2d motion of particles and any kind of motion of a rigid body, rotational and linear. E.G. stuff rolling around on the floor), which is really nice. Its kinda fun in a way too, much more fun than some of the earlier modules!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 5, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.