Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to do economics then you may do well to consider P1 to 6 and S1 to 6 (or you could substitute D1 for S6 as S6 contains coursework) because economics does have a high statistics content (to a high level as well), and having the ability to do the kind of statistics in the further statistics modules will make your first year a lot easier (at least on the maths side of the course). M1 would not be particularly useful for that course, and it is only a little more detailed than your GCSE physics course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    If you are going to do economics then you may do well to consider P1 to 6 and S1 to 6 (or you could substitute D1 for S6 as S6 contains coursework) because economics does have a high statistics content (to a high level as well), and having the ability to do the kind of statistics in the further statistics modules will make your first year a lot easier (at least on the maths side of the course). M1 would not be particularly useful for that course, and it is only a little more detailed than your GCSE physics course.
    lol... dude you like the 5's and 6's, dont ya?
    IMO P1-P6, S1-S4, M1 and D1 would increase anyone's chance of getting 2 As...
    or possibly M2 or D2 instead of S4...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    yes, but I'm more interested in what will help me with my Economics at a higher level, not really which are the easiest modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    The reason i like my 5's and 6's is that (aside from being interesting) they go in to much greater detail and to a higher level, and if your gonna be taking the subject (or a related subject) at university then being able to do level 5 and 6 modules will put you ahead of everyone else in that respect, and will greatly simplify the work you have to do.

Also dont you take a subject because you enjoy it any want to learn more about it, and NOT to just get A's. That is the wrong reason to be taking a subject.

If I were in Louise_1988 shoes I would rather have an A and a B and have done up to S6 and have a strong grasp of the statistics that I would be doing at university, than have 2 A's, yet only know up to S3.

I would recommend (for someone going on to study economics) the following further maths courses, in order of preference. Definatly do up to P6 with the pure, as some of the more bizzare stuff (like matricies) is only covered in P6, and i believe matricies is useful for economics.

1) P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6, S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6

2) P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6, S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, D1

3) P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6, S1, S2, S3, S4, D1, D2

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 5, 2004

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.