Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know how I would approach answering this question;

"Why have 'shallow' ecology strategies tended to be adopted rather than 'deep' ecology strategies?"

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

So I'd go about answering it with a short introduction giving a definition of shallow and deep ecology (shallow belives in sustainable growth in line with thinking about environmental impact if it is one's interest to do so whereas deep ecologists believe in a complete transformation of the whole world system - they believe the current system tends towards environmental abuse so we must basically start all over again).

Then I'd talk about shallow ecology tending to be adopted because firstly, no country wants to be the first to completely change their system to help the environment - it harms TNCs and businesses that abuse the environment. Secondly, a whole system change is so expensive and it requires the whole world to cooperate because climate change is a global issue it cannot be resolved through one national government. This then throws in the whole controversy with sovereignty and countries like China saying that the West have abused massively in the past and now its their turn etc. So shallow ecology strategies have been adopted which allow governments to basically change some policies that are in their interest/don't cost too much money which may slightly improve the environment e.g. the banning of cfcs.

Hope this is helpful,

Ellese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElleseG)
    Hi!

So I'd go about answering it with a short introduction giving a definition of shallow and deep ecology (shallow belives in sustainable growth in line with thinking about environmental impact if it is one's interest to do so whereas deep ecologists believe in a complete transformation of the whole world system - they believe the current system tends towards environmental abuse so we must basically start all over again).

Then I'd talk about shallow ecology tending to be adopted because firstly, no country wants to be the first to completely change their system to help the environment - it harms TNCs and businesses that abuse the environment. Secondly, a whole system change is so expensive and it requires the whole world to cooperate because climate change is a global issue it cannot be resolved through one national government. This then throws in the whole controversy with sovereignty and countries like China saying that the West have abused massively in the past and now its their turn etc. So shallow ecology strategies have been adopted which allow governments to basically change some policies that are in their interest/don't cost too much money which may slightly improve the environment e.g. the banning of cfcs.

Hope this is helpful,

Ellese
    That is quite helpful, thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.