Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

After finishing my undergraduate degree in 2014 I had originally wanted to go to London to study for a particular masters degree but, at the time, it was not economically viable for me to do so, so I decided to wait until the PGL of this year before I applied. However, in the year gap, (this academic year) my previous university offered me a scholarship to study a further masters there that I decided to do as a stop gap before the masters in London (this year coming). However, I notice now that if i hold a masters degree already, I am not eligible for the PGL. Something I didn't know would affect me at the time I made the decision last year.

The masters in London is the degree that I've always wanted to do, and the one most beneficial to my career, whereas the current programme I'm on was just done as a stop gap between undergrad and the masters in London. Could I, and should I therefore, postpone or drop out of my current masters course to maintain my eligibility for the PGL this year? As at the moment I still don't have a masters qualification..and won't officially until November.

Many thanks,
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by FinrodFelagund)
    Hello,

After finishing my undergraduate degree in 2014 I had originally wanted to go to London to study for a particular masters degree but, at the time, it was not economically viable for me to do so, so I decided to wait until the PGL of this year before I applied. However, in the year gap, (this academic year) my previous university offered me a scholarship to study a further masters there that I decided to do as a stop gap before the masters in London (this year coming). However, I notice now that if i hold a masters degree already, I am not eligible for the PGL. Something I didn't know would affect me at the time I made the decision last year.

The masters in London is the degree that I've always wanted to do, and the one most beneficial to my career, whereas the current programme I'm on was just done as a stop gap between undergrad and the masters in London. Could I, and should I therefore, postpone or drop out of my current masters course to maintain my eligibility for the PGL this year? As at the moment I still don't have a masters qualification..and won't officially until November.

Many thanks,
    Does your current course offer early exit awards for PGdip/PGCert?

The guidance released so far states that you aren't eligible if you have a Masters or higher degree - it doesn't state that you'd be ineligible if you have a PGDip http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...-can-get-a-PGL
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hello,

Many thanks,
    Hi

If you already have a Master’s qualification you won’t be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for another postgraduate Master’s course. However, if you leave your course without a qualification you’d be able to apply for a Postgraduate Loan even though you’ve started a Master’s course in the past.

Ray

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray SFE)
    Hi

If you already have a Master’s qualification you won’t be able to get a Postgraduate Loan for another postgraduate Master’s course. However, if you leave your course without a qualification you’d be able to apply for a Postgraduate Loan even though you’ve started a Master’s course in the past.

Ray
    Hi Ray,

Thanks for the information. Does that also include PGdip and PGcert?

Ryan
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi Ray,

Thanks for the information. Does that also include PGdip and PGcert?

Ryan
    Hi

PGDip and DGCert qualifications are at a lower level than a postgraduate Master's course, so you would be able to get a Postgraduate Loan if you have a PGDip or PGCert qualification.

Laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura SFE)
    Hi

PGDip and DGCert qualifications are at a lower level than a postgraduate Master's course, so you would be able to get a Postgraduate Loan if you have a PGDip or PGCert qualification.

Laura
    Hi Laura

Thanks for the information. My last question is, if i was to suspend my study on my current programme, would i be eligible to apply for a PGL on a new course starting in September?

Ryan

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.