x Turn on thread page Beta

why does this forum not have negs? watch

ReputationRep:
    this must be the most politically correct forum right now
    its sad, but its a sign of the times

(Original post by Straighthate)
    this must be the most politically correct forum right now
    its sad, but its a sign of the times
    I would love to have red gems as well as red colour of the username.

For me - all about colour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    In October 2013, TSR made a change to the site that meant only positive, thumbs up reputation could be given. Before this, you used to be able to give a thumbs down, which would give members negative reputation. If the member received more negative reputation than positive, their reputation gems would then look like this...

It was believed that 'negging' was being used to facilitate bullying and that it put members off from expressing their opinions. It was meant to be a temporary measure but we soon learnt that the change was permanent.

(Original post by Milostar)
    If you’ve spent much time in this forum (news, Help & Feedback), you’ll know that the rep system receives a lot of discussion, especially neg rep, which is one of the least popular features of TSR.

The risk of receiving neg rep can put people off asking questions or sharing their views, it can make certain forums uninviting to people who have built up positive reputation with helpful and well thought out posts, it can prevent people from voicing what they feel may be an unpopular opinion, it upsets people, and worst of all it’s been cited as a tool for bullying.

So we switched it off. Your existing rep won’t be affected, and you can still give and receive positive rep as usual. Over the next three months, with your help, we’ll assess the impact of this change. If it’s not proven to be positive, we’ll look at this again and consider alternatives.

TSR is the biggest educational website in the UK, and the biggest online student community, and has helped countless students and young people make important choices in their lives. We’re proud of you all for playing a part in that, and we hope that you’ll help TSR continue to go from strength to strength. So if you see a post you disagree with, instead of giving neg rep you can voice your disagreement in a constructive way. If you want the good posts to stand out from the not-so-good, give positive rep to great posts. If you see a post that breaks the rules, hit the report button and we’ll deal with it.

Thanks for your help, and we hope you enjoy a new, more positive TSR
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    What Kvothe the arcane said (beat me to it :mad:)

ReputationRep:
    We did used to have downvote button but then it was discontinued.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    In October 2013, TSR made a change to the site that meant only positive, thumbs up reputation could be given. Before this, you used to be able to give a thumbs down, which would give members negative reputation. If the member received more negative reputation than positive, their reputation gems would then look like this...

It was believed that 'negging' was being used to facilitate bullying and that it put members off from expressing their opinions. It was meant to be a temporary measure but we soon learnt that the change was permanent.
    how come some ppl have like -6 and have like 6 red gems??? xD were they like ppl whose posts no-one likes?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by thefatone)
    how come some ppl have like -6 and have like 6 red gems??? xD were they like ppl whose posts no-one likes?
    They were most likely trolls or controversial.

People tended to mirror the type of rep that preceded their own so if a post had 5 negs, a person might add to it for the lolz. When I joined on this account (which isn't a long time in TSR history), I think inane posts were tolerated less.

Here's an example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Negs need to be brought back so we can neg threads like these.

ReputationRep:
    If you shared an unpopular opinion, made a terrible joke or a poor attempt at trolling you'd get negged like crazy. I learnt the hard way

I'd like to see it brought back tbh

Kvothe the arcane thanks for the tip :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    They were most likely trolls or controversial. People tended to mirror the type of rep that preceded their own so if a post had 5 negs, a person might add to it for the lolz.
    whats wrong with that?
    the same happens on reddit

also, LOL @ 'bullying' on a forum where no one even knows who you are
    its called trolling and its harmless fun
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Straighthate)
    whats wrong with that?
    the same happens on reddit

also, LOL @ 'bullying' on a forum where no one even knows who you are
    its called trolling
    It's pointless arguing with me as it wasn't my decision. I merely provided you with the information you asked for.

But to answer, just because something works in one place doesn't mean it'll work in another. The powers that be, at the time, felt that opinions were being suppressed by the feature. There were also some surveys whose results indicated that a sizeable amount of silent users agreed.

There certainly seems to be a rise in the amount of posting since then. Of course, we can't attribute this all to the removal of neg rep as there are countless other factors which might affect this.

Lord Samosa, you can insert [hr][/hr] tags for a horizontal line as I've done above .
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The neg and pos rating for each post works better, otherwise people just go after the person, rather than what they say. the whole rep thing just encourages popularism anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    Here's an example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    The neg and pos rating for each post works better, otherwise people just go after the person, rather than what they say. the whole rep thing just encourages popularism anyway.
    i was very unpopular during my first few years here. the older children would gang up on me and neg all my posts, including in the maths forum.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Miss the negs tbh
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by the bear)
    i was very unpopular during my first few years here. the older children would gang up on me and neg all my posts, including in the maths forum.
    Well its the owners site, plus people should realise not everyones as robust as them and on certain forums a neg rating might be taken the wrong way by more vulnerable posters. The maths forum gave you a beasting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Well its the owners site, plus people should realise not everyones as robust as them and on certain forums a neg rating might be taken the wrong way by more vulnerable posters. The maths forum gave you a beasting?
    no it was morons from chat who came and negged my helpful maths posts :mad:

ReputationRep:
    this forum is a safe space
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by the bear)
    no it was morons from chat who came and negged my helpful maths posts :mad:
    I cant imagine you being bothered bear, but then forums tend to be like school with a collection of cliques and bullies.
    Neg ratings does tend to make people post in a populist non controversial way, inless ofc you like them as a badge of honour.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.