Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any hope for me getting into University? Watch

I'm 17 and I've been depressed for about 2 years now. At first I though it wasn't such a big deal and that I should deal with it myself. The depression started around midway yr10 and yr11 was a pretty terrible time for me mentally. I found it really hard to be motivated and keep on top of everything and people used to make fun of me and call me lazy. I told myself I just had to get through it it and I could start anew in College. In the end I left with 2 A's (English literature and English language), 2 Cs (Maths and R.E), 2 D's (Science and additional science), 2 E's (Computer Science and Art) and 1 F (Spanish). I know a lot of you are thinking how pathetic that is and I agree with you but I'm trying to accept my past and move on. This year I've been studying at my local Sixth Form College and it's been the worst year of my life. I have no friends, I'm alone most the day, and my motivation and self confidence is practically dead. I'm retaking 2 GCSE's (Psychology and Science) and 1 AS Level (Sociology) they arranged for me after I told the college about my mental health issues. Obviously my plan of starting fresh in college didn't work and I've come to accept I'm depressed and I'm seeking help (I finally told my family and I'm going to see a GP tomorrow for an official diagnoses). I realise I'm going to be dealing with depression wherever I go so I'm planing on taking medication and look for possible therapy options.

Here's my question. I really enjoy English literature and I'm quite good at the subject. I like reading and writing (although it is hard to do when depressed) and I would like to take it as an A-Level next year. As for the other 2 A-Level courses I originally wanted to take Theatre studies and Film studies, although those probably aren't the best choices in the long run so I'm not sure now. Lets just say if I do get through A-Levels, is there any hope that I would ever get into a good university? I'm not exactly expecting Oxford or Cambridge, but is there any chance I'd be excepted, or would they look at my past failure and turn me away?
    I'm trying my hardest to change my life and plan for a better future, but I realise education is a big part. I used to get depressed about being lonely and wasting my teenage years, but I'm trying not to dwell on that any more. I realise also that I have a long hard road ahead of me, so any advice would be great to hear. Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 17 and I've been depressed for about 2 years now. At first I though it wasn't such a big deal and that I should deal with it myself. The depression started around midway yr10 and yr11 was a pretty terrible time for me mentally. I found it really hard to be motivated and keep on top of everything and people used to make fun of me and call me lazy. I told myself I just had to get through it it and I could start anew in College. In the end I left with 2 A's (English literature and English language), 2 Cs (Maths and R.E), 2 D's (Science and additional science), 2 E's (Computer Science and Art) and 1 F (Spanish). I know a lot of you are thinking how pathetic that is and I agree with you but I'm trying to accept my past and move on. This year I've been studying at my local Sixth Form College and it's been the worst year of my life. I have no friends, I'm alone most the day, and my motivation and self confidence is practically dead. I'm retaking 2 GCSE's (Psychology and Science) and 1 AS Level (Sociology) they arranged for me after I told the college about my mental health issues. Obviously my plan of starting fresh in college didn't work and I've come to accept I'm depressed and I'm seeking help (I finally told my family and I'm going to see a GP tomorrow for an official diagnoses). I realise I'm going to be dealing with depression wherever I go so I'm planing on taking medication and look for possible therapy options.

Here's my question. I really enjoy English literature and I'm quite good at the subject. I like reading and writing (although it is hard to do when depressed) and I would like to take it as an A-Level next year. As for the other 2 A-Level courses I originally wanted to take Theatre studies and Film studies, although those probably aren't the best choices in the long run so I'm not sure now. Lets just say if I do get through A-Levels, is there any hope that I would ever get into a good university? I'm not exactly expecting Oxford or Cambridge, but is there any chance I'd be excepted, or would they look at my past failure and turn me away?
    I'm trying my hardest to change my life and plan for a better future, but I realise education is a big part. I used to get depressed about being lonely and wasting my teenage years, but I'm trying not to dwell on that any more. I realise also that I have a long hard road ahead of me, so any advice would be great to hear. Thanks.
    You deffinately have hope! You can always re-take Alevels if need be and i'm pretty sure you wouldn't even need to tel them about the previous grades (assuming you re-took the same subjects) since the new grades would overide the old ones.
    You don't really have any past failures. The GCSES you did poorly in were not the really important ones and you aren't done with college yet.

Your GCSES are not pathetic. I know people who have done worse than that and managed just fine. To be honest if you are looking at going to uni your GCSES won't matter much anyway.
    Unis are most interested in your Alevels and as long as you passed all the basics won't really care about GCSES (the exception would be some subjects like teaching or others with a base requirement).

Once you sort out your health you will find things seem a lot better. If you don't do as well as you hoped at college you can always re-take the year. Some unis want really high grades, but a lot only want pass grades (and they aren't bad unis). You could probably also explain your situation to a uni and they would consider special circumstances.

Have you asked your college if you are intitled to any support? If you have medical evidence you can apply for DSA which can give you help with exams and class.

You still have loads of options and loads of hope so just focus on improving your health and you can sort the rest out later. Medication could certinally be a help and therapy is a very good idea. Good luck with your appointment and best wishes with everything else. You can do it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.