Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

E.U Leave Or Remain: The Importance Of National Security watch

ReputationRep:
    Euro supporters claim that remaining in the E.U along with continuing to be a part of the U.N and Nato is important for national security interests in the face of an increasingly complex and hostile world, including as a protective measures against the Daesh and other terrorist groups around the world. Eurosceptics however suggest that there are options available if we left the E.U: we could rebuild the Commonwealth, for example. But others suggest that it’s not clear either way, and leaving could hurt relationships with America in terms of security.

Whether we remain in the E.U or leave the E.U. what options do we have regarding our national security interests? Which option would be the best option and why? Do we need an E.U for the sake of national interests since we are already signed up with the likes of the U.N and NATO? Is National Security an important factor in your vote to either stay or leave the E.U?

ReputationRep:
    I find the claim that we could 'rebuild the Commonwealth' amusingly naive. Has anyone noticed that while there is strong affection for Her Majesty as Commonwealth Head, and broad goodwill towards the United Kingdom, there is zero appetite among the Commonwealth's members to have any kind of stronger ties of the kind the Outers are envisioning. Australia, New Zealand, and many African states are moving towards the Chinese economic orbit, while also being keen on working with the US.

I'll laugh when (if) we leave, and nothing happens re: the Commonwealth. The Empire's dead. Get over it.

As for the rest, I doubt the US will be in a mood to reconcile us too much if we spite them and leave against their urgings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    I find the claim that we could 'rebuild the Commonwealth' amusingly naive. Has anyone noticed that while there is strong affection for Her Majesty as Commonwealth Head, and broad goodwill towards the United Kingdom, there is zero appetite among the Commonwealth's members to have any kind of stronger ties of the kind the Outers are envisioning. Australia, New Zealand, and many African states are moving towards the Chinese economic orbit, while also being keen on working with the US.

I'll laugh when (if) we leave, and nothing happens re: the Commonwealth. The Empire's dead. Get over it.

As for the rest, I doubt the US will be in a mood to reconcile us too much if we spite them and leave against their urgings.
    I love how commonwealth is PC right wing talk for Australia/NZ/Canada IE white majority English speaking countries.

In any case, as far as I'm aware why can't we have both? I'm all for freedom of movement between 'first world' states!

ReputationRep:
    [email protected] "Rebuild the commonwealth"

Don't forgot the fact that the EU has already agreed or is in the process of agreeing FTAs with 90% percent of Commonwealth countries.

Instead the smart idea is to leave and start all over again with all 50 countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    [email protected] "Rebuild the commonwealth"

Don't forgot the fact that the EU has already agreed or is in the process of agreeing FTAs with 90% percent of Commonwealth countries.

Instead the smart idea is to leave and start all over again with all 50 countries.
    Not just rebuild have better deals and do it faster. Could you imagine being the ambassador to say South korea and going, hey I know we've just done a deal with you but Boris thinks he can get a better deal with you outside the EU. Yeah I know our economy gone tits up, but we're working on some driverless cars at the moment.,..

It would be tragic if there wasn't so many people buying this abject rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Arguments suggests leaving the E.U and setting up trade deals with other countries including former Commonwealth countries could have econmic benefits according to John Redwood and no doubt among others particularly those leaning towards neoliberalism and the free markets.

But what about in the interest of national security? Would leaving the E.U be in our interest in terms of our national security or are our requirements and needs satisfied by NATO and being a member of the U.N? Or does it really matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KernowAlex)
    But what about in the interest of national security? Would leaving the E.U be in our interest in terms of our national security or are our requirements and needs satisfied by NATO and being a member of the U.N? Or does it really matter?
    I think it is a rather abstract question. In terms of military force we have consistently aligned ourselves with the US. Similaly the EU doesn't have a foreign policy or army so in terms defence it is irrelevant. As for movement of people. The UK Is as prosperous as it is precisely because of the ease in which you can come and go. Whilst building walls keeps "them" out it also keeps us in. I quite like my holiday in the Med without 6 hours of immigration control when I get back.

So the final issue is one of cooperation. Leaving the EU sends strong signals that we want to go it alone. Gaining access to EU intelligence could conceivably be more difficult. For me it boils down to the fact that one is always stronger United. The EU isn't an institution one can cherry pick only the bits we want sadly.

ReputationRep:
    How about this as food for thought?

Brexit would strengthen Erdogan and Putin

Obviously on defence and security issues it seems instinctive to first think of Nato, rather than the European Union. And yes, obviously Nato does serve this function. In terms of hard power, we can collectively count up the combined arsenals of Europe and North America, and try to scare Russia into behaving that way.

But what Nato can’t do is soft power - projecting our economic and cultural agenda.

Current European tensions are best conceptualised as a battle of ideas. On the one hand, you have liberal democracy and rule of law as the engines of our civilisation ,as best represented by London, Paris and Berlin. On the other, there is authoritarian kleptocracy, as represented by Moscow. We talk a lot about Trident, but realistically the European Union is the biggest weapon we have against the latter.

Why is this relevant to Britain and its very parochial concerns? Because the more allies we have against Putin, the less capacity he has to act in ways that damage us.

In fact, we’ve already seen a microcosm of this. The EU has never quite decided whether or not Turkey should ever be a part of Europe, and it has consequently slided towards Islamism and authoritarianism under Erdogan. If we can’t offer a good enough carrot, this is what happens.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.