Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

C.V - should I mention any extenuating circumstances? watch

Hi all,

As i'm coming to the end of my academic career, and applying for jobs, I'm worried that my past problems will have a negative effect on my final grade. I suffered severe depression in my second year of studying languages and as a result, was not able to go on my year abroad. This meant that I had to do my year abroad project in one month over the summer holidays, with limited resources and time. Not only that, but I was in an awful state for the majority of my second year of study, missing a few deadlines due to side effects from medication and a overall feeling of severe depression.

At the moment, I'm averaging a 2:2 (I think), but I know that if I didn't have my issues, I would have achieved a lot higher than that. Is there anyway I can get this through to any employers without sounding desperate? My reasons are very valid after all.

Thank you!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.