Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I read a few blogs recently from Newcastle University's Education department.

Two of which were two alumni who did PGCEs in the UK and went on to teach abroad in the UAE and Australia.

These reminded me about a few teachers I met in a pub a few years ago, who were discussing that they had taught in places like Spain and China and it had benefited their career.

I'm just curious to see if anyone here had taught abroad? and if its worth doing?

ReputationRep:
    I teach in France, but my route was a bit different: I started as an unqualified teacher in an international school there in 2008, before acquiring QTS in 2014 (have been at the same school all that time).

I have no immediate plans to move back to the UK but would like to think it would benefit my career as it obviously gives you a lot of experience working with students from a wide range of cultures, of which many are of course EAL. I think the main thing is to keep on top of what's going on in British education (e.g. by subscribing to the TES) so that if you were to return to the UK, you wouldn't be too much out of the loop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    I teach in France, but my route was a bit different: I started as an unqualified teacher in an international school there in 2008, before acquiring QTS in 2014 (have been at the same school all that time).

I have no immediate plans to move back to the UK but would like to think it would benefit my career as it obviously gives you a lot of experience working with students from a wide range of cultures, of which many are of course EAL. I think the main thing is to keep on top of what's going on in British education (e.g. by subscribing to the TES) so that if you were to return to the UK, you wouldn't be too much out of the loop.
    I never thought about the issues of having to keep updated with the British Education system while abroad.

I presume that would be a interview question if anyone did decide to come back to the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I would expect so, yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.