Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone for AEA Maths this friday? What are you up to for revision? (yes I know... dreadful word)...
    Good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Yup i'm doing it. I looked at a past paper and it was quite hard though i'm not gonna revise for it. I'm completely wasted after a month or so of revision and this exam isn't remotely important

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonas123)
    Yup i'm doing it. I looked at a past paper and it was quite hard though i'm not gonna revise for it. I'm completely wasted after a month or so of revision and this exam isn't remotely important
    Yep exactly the same here, I haven't done any revision for it. However I am just about to do last years paper mock styley. Best of luck to all those are taking it on Friday.
    I've never done a 3 hour paper..I don't think I'm gonna be able to concentrate that long :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinity Blume)
    Yep exactly the same here, I haven't done any revision for it. However I am just about to do last years paper mock styley. Best of luck to all those are taking it on Friday.
    I've never done a 3 hour paper..I don't think I'm gonna be able to concentrate that long :confused:
    who cares, if anyone asks you just say you got a A.

ReputationRep:
    ditto, I'm normally shattered after a 1.5 hr exam... I'll be dead after this, and its a right bum that its in the afternoon... wont get out till 4.30 ho hum... Why did I say I would do it again??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    who cares, if anyone asks you just say you got a A.
    then they'd know you're lying :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    then they'd know you're lying :rolleyes:
    say you got a B then
    they cant make you show them the slip. same with uni's if they say how did ur aea go? just say yeh it went ok i got full marks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gonna be revising for it! haven't yet and don't intend to!
    After the horrible P6, I have to do really well in M4, so will be revising for that tomorro! and then have the school ball (so will be slaughtered) and then teh Maths AEA at bout 11.30 in the morning... before more formal occasions! Oh the joy! Can't wait till the end!!! + it is near!

ReputationRep:
    You don't get a letter grade (unfortunately...) you get either a Distinction (70% + (unachievable)), a merit (50%+ (almost unachievable)) or a unmkarked (totally achievable....)!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rieuwa)
    You don't get a letter grade (unfortunately...) you get either a Distinction (70% + (unachievable)), a merit (50%+ (almost unachievable)) or a unmkarked (totally achievable....)!!!!
    OH, so you couldnt say you got 96%?
    there must be some bods out there that get distinction

ReputationRep:
    I think UCAS sends your results straight to the uni including the AEA so they'll know you failed before you have an oppurtunity to decline the grade

ReputationRep:
    I think UCAS sends your results straight to the uni including the AEA so they'll know you failed before you have an oppurtunity to decline the grade
    Im sure that only applies for STEP and not to AEA, but i might be confused

ReputationRep:
    I was told by my school that I don't need to declare it on UCAS if I fail, so I assume that the unis won't find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinity Blume)
    I was told by my school that I don't need to declare it on UCAS if I fail, so I assume that the unis won't find out
    Presuming you ALevels are good (which they should be if your doing AEA) then the unis wont care, theyll know you were probably tired after all your others and would probably be more impressed that youd taken it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fry)
    Presuming you ALevels are good (which they should be if your doing AEA) then the unis wont care, theyll know you were probably tired after all your others and would probably be more impressed that youd taken it anyway.
    you want to be aware that AEAs are taken by the top 10% (roughly) of people doing the subject.

of those who take AEAs, 50% will fail, the next 30% get merits, and the top 20% get distinctions. the grade boundaries are adjusted every year accordingly. so it's no real disgrace to fail your AEA...

ReputationRep:
    4Ed, that's made me feel better. I did the Chemistry AEA today and am sure I will get an ungraded, even though it wasn't actually that bad a paper (it's just stupidity, poor time management and bad decision making on my part).

I'm not doing the Maths one as, apparently, I had to ask to be able to do it. I would've liked to have done it actually, I'd probably have more chance of passing it than the ones I actually am doing/ have done (Chem and Physics).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    you want to be aware that AEAs are taken by the top 10% (roughly) of people doing the subject.
    the bottom 1% can fail though so it is a good feeling to pass it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    the bottom 1% can fail though so it is a good feeling to pass it
    of course it's good to pass, but the amount of people who fail is more than 1% mate...

i know someone who got 49/100 and was ungraded....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    of course it's good to pass, but the amount of people who fail is more than 1% mate...

i know someone who got 49/100 and was ungraded....
    wot i mean was that anyone can fail...even the bottom 1% of the country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)

of those who take AEAs, 50% will fail, the next 30% get merits, and the top 20% get distinctions. the grade boundaries are adjusted every year accordingly. so it's no real disgrace to fail your AEA...
    I think the pass rate is less than you state, the exam report for last year says 32.2% passed the exam. Then, 9.6% of candidates got a distinction.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 4, 2004

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.