Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    I think the pass rate is less than you state, the exam report for last year says 32.2% passed the exam. Then, 9.6% of candidates got a distinction.
    woah, thats lower than I thought. Last year's paper was a lot harder than previous years though.

ReputationRep:
    i did AEA maths last year thinking it would be a good way of impressing cambridge. it probably would've been, had i passed the damn thing. thankfully though, before i applied i was able to decline the U grade and cam didnt know a thing about it.
    I would contest that AEA isnt that far away from STEP standard at all. certainly the exam i did was very difficult, and there were no choices of questions. personally, i think that the style of STEP is more friendly. for a start, you get to choose 6 questions out of 14, and the questions generally start with easy parts and then ask you to apply what you have learnt in the latter parts. AEA questions certainly do not do this.

Tatum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drederick Tatum)
    i did AEA maths last year thinking it would be a good way of impressing cambridge. it probably would've been, had i passed the damn thing. thankfully though, before i applied i was able to decline the U grade and cam didnt know a thing about it.
    I would contest that AEA isnt that far away from STEP standard at all. certainly the exam i did was very difficult, and there were no choices of questions. personally, i think that the style of STEP is more friendly. for a start, you get to choose 6 questions out of 14, and the questions generally start with easy parts and then ask you to apply what you have learnt in the latter parts. AEA questions certainly do not do this.

Tatum
    Yes, originally I thought STEP was a billion times harder than AEA, but as you say, not only does it not allow you to choose the questions you do, but also AEA questions are all of roughly the same difficulty (ie not progressively harder) and in many cases do they not give you a clue to answer a 13 mark questions etc. STEP is far more dependent on the A level/further maths syllabus whereas AEA requires you to spot tricks more and there are fewer ways into questions. That doesn't mean to say I think AEA is as hard as STEP (not at all!) but it isn't half as easy as people make out.
    Tatum, when you failed AEA and you declined your grade so unis couldn't see it, how did you go about doing it? Ie did you have to ring up edexcel etc? (I'm preparing myself for failure already )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drederick Tatum)
    i did AEA maths last year thinking it would be a good way of impressing cambridge. it probably would've been, had i passed the damn thing. thankfully though, before i applied i was able to decline the U grade and cam didnt know a thing about it...Tatum
    Yes Can you please tell us how you did this...i'm expecting a fail tomorrow and i don't want my university find out ....

ReputationRep:
    tbh i don't really care if my uni finds out, its not like they asked me to get a distinction or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    I think the pass rate is less than you state, the exam report for last year says 32.2% passed the exam. Then, 9.6% of candidates got a distinction.
    o ok..... it is pretty harsh isn't it!

ReputationRep:
    Haha... it went awfully. Couldn't answer even 30% of the paper.

ReputationRep:
    I found it really hard too. I was the only person taking it in my school, and I had two moderators watching me :rolleyes: Then I had to follow a teacher around all day, cos I took it early, and I couldn't talk to anyone about it.
    I found that waaay harder than the previous ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemini)
    I found it really hard too. I was the only person taking it in my school, and I had two moderators watching me :rolleyes: Then I had to follow a teacher around all day, cos I took it early, and I couldn't talk to anyone about it.
    I found that waaay harder than the previous ones
    I found it hard too, but I did enjoy it, (its beside the point that I didn't complete fully any of the questions!) The questions were all quite interesting; I esp liked the one when you had f(x) = x - [x] - it was like no other question I'd seen. I ran out of time, didn't really do much of question 7, screwed up question 1 (realised when I came back to it that my solutions didn't work)...oh well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Nice of them to put an arctan in there, when the only notation we ever used was tan^-1! Not that I would have been able to do it either way.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't Answer any question fully either. For q1 i was told only two of my solutions were valid because it was originally cos not cos^2. Totally messed it up. Add it to the list of others who got ungraded. lol.

ReputationRep:
    Did any one get 2 for radius of the circle??

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I got 2, wrote that r^2=4 though, but forgot to work out r, doh! :mad:
    How many marks do you think that bit will be worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemini)
    Yes, I got 2, wrote that r^2=4 though, but forgot to work out r, doh! :mad:
    How many marks do you think that bit will be worth?
    bout 4 (tops) probably

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, I couldn't even start the next bit . There goes another four marks.
    Still I did enjoy it, but I can't stop thinking about it and trying to get the answers to the bits I couldn't get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiranv)
    Did any one get 2 for radius of the circle??

Cheers.
    lol I got 16/7 :rolleyes: oh well

ReputationRep:
    What did you think of the last question? I hadn't done sin rule+ cosine rule since GCSE, and I got a shock when it came up cos I thought I didn't have to know that trig stuff...

ReputationRep:
    i missed out the last question/got it ALL wrong.

i worked back from the second part of that circle question to find the radius as 2. Then for the first part i put, grad of normal of 4y - 3x = 0 is -4/3 so clearly the radius is 2 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How did you do the second part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonas123)
    i missed out the last question/got it ALL wrong.

i worked back from the second part of that circle question to find the radius as 2. Then for the first part i put, grad of normal of 4y - 3x = 0 is -4/3 so clearly the radius is 2 :rolleyes:
    lol yep, I get that now!! (bit late hey?)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 4, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.