Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leave campaign leader can't produce a single study to back up Brexit watch

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu_1gHps92A

This is hilarious. Bumbling moron represents the leave campaign perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    This is not even surprising considering their "leaflets" stated "5 Reasons to leave" yet only came up with 4 (of which 2 were not even factual) and the fifth reiterated the same points.

How can anyone support the leave campaign is beyond me; infact i think the only reason 98% of them have is "immigrants wont steal our jobs"

ReputationRep:
    She's certainly 'representing' how not to do media appearances.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate the importance of 'independent studies'. But it is equally frightening that these very studies are using hypothetical scenarios to form conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    I appreciate the importance of 'independent studies'. But it is equally frightening that these very studies are using hypothetical scenarios to form conclusions.
    Surely everything is hypothetical until it happens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Surely everything is hypothetical until it happens?
    No doubt but it's a gentle reminder that the figures can be flawed. It is, after all, a prediction.

ReputationRep:
    Hilarious :doh:

Although, she is affiliated with Labour which makes it less funny for me.

http://leave.eu/downloads/leave.eu-leaflet.pdf

^ none of the facts in their own leaflet have a source.
    Also the front cover reminds me of History at school with all the different posters (i.e. posters which were used during WW1 and WW2 for propaganda).

ReputationRep:
    No doubt but it's a gentle reminder that the figures can be flawed. It is, after all, a prediction.
    Granted, but then the same applies for the other side too. If you criticise Remain for producing hypotheticals (which coincidentally warn that leaving the EU will be bad), then Leave should be criticised for hypotheticals too (which suggest leaving the EU will be good).

At the end of the day, the only real motifier for undecided people is what could happen with Brexit, and that requires hypotheticals. I'd rather both sides stop criticising the practice itself, and instead try to bust flawed or unlikely ones.

ReputationRep:
    I feel a little sorry for her. I can't see how any study would show that there is a short term benefit for the UK leaving the EU. There's always going to be an economic knock-on effect by leaving the EU but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't benefit us in the medium to long term. I think a lot of those in the leave campaign have political and social reasons/justifications for wanting to leave - this also can't be quantified in a study.

That said, I'll be voting to stay in.

ReputationRep:
    She was on QT last night and swerved similar questions. In the end she said that although economics are important the referendum is also about sovereignty, in other words she couldn't answer the questions.

ReputationRep:
    stay in chérie

:pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Granted, but then the same applies for the other side too. If you criticise Remain for producing hypotheticals (which coincidentally warn that leaving the EU will be bad), then Leave should be criticised for hypotheticals too (which suggest leaving the EU will be good).
    It applies to both sides, gladders. Both sides of the debate are using hypothetical situations to justify their positions and then criticise the opposite camp for not agreeing with their fallacious data; it's ridiculous.

At the end of the day, the only real motifier for undecided people is what could happen with Brexit, and that requires hypotheticals. I'd rather both sides stop criticising the practice itself, and instead try to bust flawed or unlikely ones.
    I disagree. The vote instead should focus on which direction they would like the nation to go: one where it decides it's own fate or one where the fate is shared with a continent that shares a similar history and culture. Using data that is hypothetical is still flawed in its essence as there will always be a probability that it is false.

ReputationRep:
    It applies to both sides, gladders. Both sides of the debate are using hypothetical situations to justify their positions and then criticise the opposite camp for not agreeing with their fallacious data; it's ridiculous.
    I agree.

I disagree. The vote instead should focus on which direction they would like the nation to go: one where it decides it's own fate or one where the fate is shared with a continent that shares a similar history and culture. Using data that is hypothetical is still flawed in its essence as there will always be a probability that it is false.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying, but for most people, they can't (or won't) separate the 'destiny' question from concerns about what Brexit will cause to happen.

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you're saying, but for most people, they can't (or won't) separate the 'destiny' question from concerns about what Brexit will cause to happen.
    Very true. I'll continue hoping that the populace is smart enough to make this distinction but I very much doubt it will happen.

ReputationRep:

I disagree. The vote instead should focus on which direction they would like the nation to go: one where it decides it's own fate or one where the fate is shared with a continent that shares a similar history and culture. Using data that is hypothetical is still flawed in its essence as there will always be a probability that it is false.
    We use data to make predictions all the time. There wouldn't be much point in gathering statistics if they could only tell us what we already know. Why shouldn't we make predictions? It's all we can do. What matters is whether those predictions are based on evidence or "intuition".

ReputationRep:
    Well this is an example of a report

http://www.iea.org.uk/sites/default/...al_bio_web.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    We use data to make predictions all the time. There wouldn't be much point in gathering statistics if they could only tell us what we already know. Why shouldn't we make predictions? It's all we can do. What matters is whether those predictions are based on evidence or "intuition".
    The issue is not whether we should use data to make predictions. Instead, it's the concept that entire viewpoints are based on data that is calculated from hypothetical situations and then form the sole or principle segment of an argument. Few people are able to the correctly forecast the outcome of events and even the ones who do have a margin of error.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.