Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just completed 7 weeks of volunteering at a nursing home. I asked them if I could put their nursing home down as a reference and they said that's fine. Do I need any proof from them for my application or can I just put their details down on the application because I'm worried if they check up on my reference the manager at the nursing home won't remember me as I rarely saw her and it was very informal.

ReputationRep:
    Just put her number down, doesnt have to be her, couldnt it be someone else who works at the nursing home?

ReputationRep:
    Some universities will ask for proof, others won't. I'd try and get proof now if possible because it will be a massive pain if someone asks for it later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    Some universities will ask for proof, others won't. I'd try and get proof now if possible because it will be a massive pain if someone asks for it later
    What kind of proof, like getting her to send an email to me saying i've completed work experience there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquafreshh)
    What kind of proof, like getting her to send an email to me saying i've completed work experience there?
    I'd imagine that would be ideal. If the universities wanted something else later, you could use that email to demonstrate to her that you were there if she's forgotten later on.

If I were doing this, I would feel awkward about asking for "proof" at this stage as it looks as if you were only volunteering to tick a box. I would probably satisfy myself by sending someone there an email, e.g. "thank you for supporting me over the last seven weeks that I volunteered at X" etc. That would probably be sufficient proof (sending such an email would be strange if you never volunteered...) and it would also serve as a reminder to them if you need to provide some kind of formal "proof" later on. The likelihood is that they will reply along the lines of "you're welcome - thank you for your time..." or something similar.

It's also worth making a note of the names (even if just first names) of people you worked with in case there are doubts later on.

I do think it is sad that applicants now have to prove that they were a volunteer...

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished med school and I have never once been asked for proof of anything that was on my UCAS form. I was pretty surprised as I'm sure people do make stuff up!

They did ask me questions about my voluntary work at interviews though

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.