The Student Room Group

Complex Number Logarithm

I've been looking at a question in which we consider the i base logarithm of a complex number, i being the imaginary unit. I was meant to find an expression for logi(z), and make a plot on the Argand Diagram.

The expression I had no trouble with.
logi(z) = ln(z)/ln(i) = (ln(r)+iθ)/ln(exp(iπ/2) = (2/π)(θ-iln(r)).

The Argand plot gets me.
Treating logi(z) as a function with θ and ln(r) in the place of x and y, respectively, one can treat logi(z) as a polar function:
logi(z) = (2√2/π)*exp(i*arctan(-ln(r)/θ)).

This gives a circle, with a fixed radius of 2√2/π, and an argument which is a function of both r and θ.

The answer says that the true plot is a region where the real part is bounded by the lines Re(logi(z)) = +/- 2, and the imaginary part is defined for all values.

I'm confused. How is the real part limited to within +/- 2? And if it was a rectangular region, wouldn't the imaginary part be always negative? The imaginary part is proportional to ln(r) by a negative constant, and ln(r) is only defined for r>0.

But also, assuming I went wrong, where did I?
Reply 1
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
I've been looking at a question in which we consider the i base logarithm of a complex number, i being the imaginary unit. I was meant to find an expression for logi(z), and make a plot on the Argand Diagram.

The expression I had no trouble with. And if it was a rectangular region, wouldn't the imaginary part be always negative? The imaginary part is proportional to ln(r) by a negative constant, and ln(r) is only defined for r>0.

But also, assuming I went wrong, where did I?

Ln(r) is is negative for 0 < r < 1, so -ln r is positive for 0 < r < 1.

Haven't read the rest yet, not home right now, sorry!
Original post by Zacken
Ln(r) is is negative for 0 < r < 1, so -ln r is positive for 0 < r < 1.

Haven't read the rest yet, not home right now, sorry!

Oh, man, that's obvious. I'm dying inside...
Reply 3
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
Oh, man, that's obvious. I'm dying inside...

For the bounding of the real part, try letting r tend to infinity or such and remember than arctan (infinity) = pi/2, that might get you something worthwhile, although I don't have paper around right now.

Quick Reply

Latest