Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking at a question in which we consider the i base logarithm of a complex number, i being the imaginary unit. I was meant to find an expression for logi(z), and make a plot on the Argand Diagram.

The expression I had no trouble with.
    logi(z) = ln(z)/ln(i) = (ln(r)+iθ)/ln(exp(iπ/2) = (2/π)(θ-iln(r)).

The Argand plot gets me.
    Treating logi(z) as a function with θ and ln(r) in the place of x and y, respectively, one can treat logi(z) as a polar function:
    logi(z) = (2√2/π)*exp(i*arctan(-ln(r)/θ)).

This gives a circle, with a fixed radius of 2√2/π, and an argument which is a function of both r and θ.

The answer says that the true plot is a region where the real part is bounded by the lines Re(logi(z)) = +/- 2, and the imaginary part is defined for all values.

I'm confused. How is the real part limited to within +/- 2? And if it was a rectangular region, wouldn't the imaginary part be always negative? The imaginary part is proportional to ln(r) by a negative constant, and ln(r) is only defined for r>0.

But also, assuming I went wrong, where did I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuclear Ghost)
    I've been looking at a question in which we consider the i base logarithm of a complex number, i being the imaginary unit. I was meant to find an expression for logi(z), and make a plot on the Argand Diagram.

The expression I had no trouble with. And if it was a rectangular region, wouldn't the imaginary part be always negative? The imaginary part is proportional to ln(r) by a negative constant, and ln(r) is only defined for r>0.

But also, assuming I went wrong, where did I?
    Ln(r) is is negative for 0 < r < 1, so -ln r is positive for 0 < r < 1.

Haven't read the rest yet, not home right now, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Ln(r) is is negative for 0 < r < 1, so -ln r is positive for 0 < r < 1.

Haven't read the rest yet, not home right now, sorry!
    Oh, man, that's obvious. I'm dying inside...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuclear Ghost)
    Oh, man, that's obvious. I'm dying inside...
    For the bounding of the real part, try letting r tend to infinity or such and remember than arctan (infinity) = pi/2, that might get you something worthwhile, although I don't have paper around right now.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.