Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to buy a personalised number plate HOWEVER;

I have found a site selling them for £50 with the exact numbers and letters i want and it states that it is DVLA approved and they are "road legal number plates" and that they will NOT fail an MOT.

However on DVLA i cant find the same numbers and letters and infact there is nothing even close.

So what actually is the difference??

Further why are some numbers plates being sold on DVLA £10,000 when that site is selling the same for £50.

Am i just being stupid or is the DVLA mugging people

ReputationRep:
    Be careful whether you are buying the right to transfer and display a cherished plate, or have just been quoted the making up price for a set of plates. There are huge variances between market values, as obvious plates can be astronomical, whereas plates that have relevance to only you are much more affordable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Be careful whether you are buying the right to transfer and display a cherished plate, or have just been quoted the making up price for a set of plates. There are huge variances between market values, as obvious plates can be astronomical, whereas plates that have relevance to only you are much more affordable.
    I literally dont know the first thing about number plates. The website is Number1plates (sorry cant link) but it states it is road legal.

I do however suspect im missing something - My first guess was it was not going to be traceable therefore illegal but it is stated that there is a number at the bottom which the police can use to trace the plate back to the supplier.

Also can you please explain what is the best place to buy them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balshaw)
    I literally dont know the first thing about number plates. The website is Number1plates (sorry cant link) but it states it is road legal.

I do however suspect im missing something - My first guess was it was not going to be traceable therefore illegal but it is stated that there is a number at the bottom which the police can use to trace the plate back to the supplier.

Also can you please explain what is the best place to buy them?
    Ok, so that website just manufactures replacement or novelty plates, - it doesn't give you the right to apply whatever plate you wish to your vehicle. Start with the DVLA website https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...mbers/overview

You buy the right to assign a specific plate to your vehicle, which no-one else can replicate, and if you change cars, you have to retain the right to reassign it to the next vehicle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Ok, so that website just manufactures replacement or novelty plates, - it doesn't give you the right to apply whatever plate you wish to your vehicle. Start with the DVLA website https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...mbers/overview

You buy the right to assign a specific plate to your vehicle, which no-one else can replicate, and if you change cars, you have to retain the right to reassign it to the next vehicle.
    Ok so i cant just buy a plate from there and put it on my car?

I get the right to assign however the number i want is not coming up on DVLA and its just weird because this whole thing is stressing me out. I thought it would be simple to put in the letters and numbers and pay the price they generated. Obviously not -.-

ReputationRep:
    The DVLA control what is available, and other cherished plate retailers refer to their database.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balshaw)
    I am looking to buy a personalised number plate HOWEVER;

I have found a site selling them for £50 with the exact numbers and letters i want and it states that it is DVLA approved and they are "road legal number plates" and that they will NOT fail an MOT.

However on DVLA i cant find the same numbers and letters and infact there is nothing even close.

So what actually is the difference??

Further why are some numbers plates being sold on DVLA £10,000 when that site is selling the same for £50.

Am i just being stupid or is the DVLA mugging people
    your bieng stupid

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.