Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do I make a website of this complexity? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a complete beginner and I have an aspiration to make a website at this sort of standard during my time at uni: www.themarketmogul.com

How do I start the process? Do I learn HTML through a programme like Dreamweaver, or more complex languages? Or can I achieve this standard using WordPress? What are the first steps?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    OK, first off: don't use dreamweaver. Just don't. Use your preferred text editor (Notepad++, emacs, vim, whatever else you prefer).

Second: you are going to need some kind of backend language to do the real work. This can be literally any language. A lot of people use PHP (despite it being awful). Pick your preference of language, and learn it. In particular, you'll need to learn some kind of database interface for it: again, take your pick of the options with decent libraries. You'll need to do some basic server setup to push that to the front (this is marginally easier in PHP than real languages, but that's not a reason to use PHP). Then, you'll need to make your front end HTML/Javascript, stick it in your database, write the backend code to serve that to the users, and to add stuff to the database(s) (after suitable filtering) if you want users to be able to submit stuff to the site.

ReputationRep:
    I dont want a huge image taking up half the page forcing me to scroll to see content and articles magically appearing whilst it throws javascript errors in the background.

It does dozens of GET requests for Javascript files which is why it loads like crap on fiber connection. You look at the articles that magically appear as you scroll down and might assume it would be fetching as you scroll but nope - no ajax requests I have to assume its pre-fetched the lot !

Horrible don't make a site like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSam3)
    (this is marginally easier in PHP than real languages, but that's not a reason to use PHP).
    So PHP isn't a real programming language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    So PHP isn't a real programming language?
    No. PHP is an abomination unto good coding practices (which are impossible in it), maintainability (have fun with that) and security (since it's basically insecure by design).

ReputationRep:
    No. PHP is an abomination unto good coding practices (which are impossible in it), maintainability (have fun with that) and security (since it's basically insecure by design).
    That's what PHP frameworks and templating engines are for. That's why frameworks and templating engines such as, Laravel, Slim, Twig and Blade are so popular in PHP development. That's also why there's the PSR guides, http://www.php-fig.org/psr/ to help with consistency.

For decent sized projects, you really shouldn't be coding in pure/vanilla PHP anyway. You should almost/always use a framework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    That's what PHP frameworks and templating engines are for. That's why frameworks and templating engines such as, Laravel, Slim, Twig and Blade are so popular in PHP development. That's also why there's the PSR guides, http://www.php-fig.org/psr/ to help with consistency.

For decent sized projects, you really shouldn't be coding in pure/vanilla PHP anyway. You should almost/always use a framework.
    And that, right there, is a sign that your language doesn't make sense. I mean, sure, you could use PHP to write a LISP interpreter and write your program in LISP, but that doesn't make the result a PHP program: it's a LISP program that you're running through a PHP interpreter. Similarly, if you're using those frameworks, you're using some other language, with some of the more moronic "features" of PHP eliminated.

ReputationRep:
    If you're using those frameworks, you're using some other language, with some of the more moronic "features" of PHP eliminated.
    No. All those frameworks I've mentioned are coded in PHP. So...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    No. All those frameworks I've mentioned are coded in PHP. So...
    Again: I can write a Python interpreter in PHP. That doesn't make it the same language.

ReputationRep:
    Again: I can write a Python interpreter in PHP. That doesn't make it the same language.
    You're going completely off point, all the PHP frameworks I'm talking about are coded in PHP so your point is not valid. The whole point of those frameworks is to making coding in PHP more pleasant, and to make your code more secure, consistent and scalable. Essentially those frameworks are just wrappers. Look them up, https://laravel.com/ && http://www.slimframework.com/ before you reply. Anyway I'm not going to further reply because it seems you don't know what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Or you could just use a maintainable language with a maintainable framework like C# with ASP.NET MVC instead :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    Or you could just use a maintainable language with a maintainable framework like C# with ASP.NET MVC instead :P
    That's just an equivalent to using PHP with Laravel. Afterall, ASP.NET itself is a framework that follows the MVC design pattern just like Laravel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    That's just an equivalent to using PHP with Laravel. Afterall, ASP.NET itself is a framework that follows the MVC design pattern just like Laravel.
    But it has one key advantage...

... It's not PHP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    You're going completely off point, all the PHP frameworks I'm talking about are coded in PHP so your point is not valid. The whole point of those frameworks is to making coding in PHP more pleasant, and to make your code more secure, consistent and scalable. Essentially those frameworks are just wrappers. Look them up, https://laravel.com/ && http://www.slimframework.com/ before you reply. Anyway I'm not going to further reply because it seems you don't know what you're talking about.
    You are looking at this backwards: PHP frameworks are a different language that happens to share syntax (and sod all else, if it's a decent framework) with PHP, and be written in PHP. The only difference between this and a Python interpreter written in PHP is the syntax of the thing at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Push_More_Button)
    But it has one key advantage...

... It's not PHP!
    Instead, you are selling your soul to the devil (MSFT).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    Instead, you are selling your soul to the devil (MSFT).
    As opposed to Zend, who will happily fix the broken bits of their open source language, providing you pay them?

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend: bootstrap, jquery, angular (if you have time) with a backend of either c# or node.js.

ReputationRep:
    At work I use a mix of C# (ASP.net Forms & MVC 4 for different projects), html, css ( +bootstrap), javascript ( +jquery) and a whole bunch of SQL for database stuff.

ReputationRep:
    As opposed to Zend, who will happily fix the broken bits of their open source language, providing you pay them?
    Because open source means they must do it for free? Nope. Case in point RHE, SUSE.

Anyway, you've rather aptly described Microsoft more than Zend right there..

PHP I can host on pretty much anything I like, with almost any configuration.

Up until very recently, .NET - Windows via IIS.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: June 9, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.