Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you ever feel pressured / encouraged to become gay ? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im not homosexual, i'm a heterosexual male and i can say with certainty that i am very attracted to girls.

I hang out in various social groups, but why is it my gay friends always try to encourage me to take a gay partner just because im single ? ...i also find some heterosexual girls trying to influence me into that preference.

Why does this happen ?

Does it happen to anyone else ?

Im not a manly guy guy, but im sure i know my own sexual prefence better than other people, i just feel pressured into becoming gay.

...i also want to add, i get accussed of being gay a lot, i am not feminine in any way and i really dont fit a stereotype, im just very friendly and good natured to both men and women.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly you can pretend to be gay (ie go out with another guy but not be attracted to them in any way) but you cannot choose to be gay. Secondly I've never ever heard of people being encouraged to "turn" gay.

ReputationRep:
    No. Ask them why they think you should be gay. Tell them that you are perfectly happy being heterosexual

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that you don't try force them gay.

ReputationRep:
    Chandler?

ReputationRep:
    I felt very pressured to be straight growing up? This isn't a normal thing in friendships groups though tbh, tell them you're not comfortable with the way they're acting and that you have the right to have your preference respected as much as they do

ReputationRep:
    You sure they're just not ribbing you, especially if you've been single for a whil/not had a girlfriend in the time they've known you.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    You sure they're just not ribbing you, especially if you've been single for a whil/not had a girlfriend in the time they've known you.?
    Sometimes they may be kidding, but then later i have serious discussions with them and they question my preference openly

One gay male friend ( my old boss ) tried to sell me on the idea of dating his best gay male friend because, as he put it " he is wealthy, settled and has a great house ".

ReputationRep:
    ...i realise this situation may seem like a paradox in our times as it is usually gay people who are pressured / encouraged to take a straight partner, but maybe not so much anymore.

ReputationRep:
    what is happening

ReputationRep:
    Your friend probably fancies you and is secretly hoping you're gay/can convert you.

ReputationRep:
    i have literally never heard of that happening ever

i think the converse is far more typical.

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of it happening before. Just tell them off firmly.

ReputationRep:
    I've had gay people and hetero people try to "correct" my asexuality before. Not corrective rape or anything like that, just long boring lectures about "how sex is nice" or "how sex is natural" and even "why sex is necessary to be happy." I realise that they thought they were helping me but it's really annoying when people do things like that.

OP, just tell them to buzz off. There's not much more you can do really.

ReputationRep:
    ...i suppose the reasoning behind my question is, i just really want to understand why people seem to assume im gay or should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svissloki)
    ...i suppose the reasoning behind my question is, i just really want to understand why people seem to assume im gay or should be.
    Hard to tell when no one here knows you personally. You probably give off that "gay" vibe to people.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.