Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to fix the gender pay gap? Pay women more Watch

ReputationRep:
    So this company (ran by the top graduate from Oxford maths) has decided to fix their overall gender pay gap by paying women 8.6% more for the same role, and have suggest that all companies should pay a 'gender pay gap' tax until all pay is equal across the board.

http://www.brainlabsdigital.com/blog/pay-gap/

Thoughts? Is this the action needed to finally redress the pay gap issue? Or would this lead to a male brain drain? Should we go further than this and ban men from boardroom roles that they have enjoyed for so long?

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWBXbGVyQU

ReputationRep:
    This literally does nothing except reverse the way it is done. How does this force other companies to address the gender gap? All this does is make men leave that business? Troll?

ReputationRep:
    Surely paying women more is sexist?!

And LOL, 'ban men from boardroom roles they have enjoyed for so long'.

Im sure that any men that have reached the boardroom of a company have done so by putting in a lot of effort and hard work, not just been given it cuz they are males.

Last time i checked, fixing one problem by starting another one, isnt the correct solution

ReputationRep:
    Uh. No. This is beyond stupid. Two people doing the same job should be earning the same amount.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How to remove the gender pay gap. Pay people the same amount unless one is more productive then give that person more benefits for their work. THERE YOU GO THERE'S NO GAP APART FROM MERIT.

ReputationRep:
    I assume this so-called pay gap only applies in very senior roles? In that in all jobs I've ever applied to there has been no male and female salaries, and everywhere I've worked people get paid the same wage regardless of gender, from cleaner to branch manager.

Then you have the fact women under 30 out earn men, then only afterwards do men out earn woman. Surely part of this is the fact more women are keen for family friendly working hours and are less likely to be putting in 12 hr shifts and such like? If a female working part time or not at all to bring up children while the man has the tendency to be the main wage earner is sexist...I don't know what to say really, I mean obviously the roles can be swapped around, but honestly out of the many girls I know, of those who want children in the future, they actually want to be the ones working less to look after them, not working full time and have their partner be the "stay-at-home" one.

I know some examples of people being head hunted where men do seem to be paid more than women for very similar roles, albeit that means more based on the fact men seem to be more forward in their demands for a higher salary for their skill set, which women are equally entitled to do.

ReputationRep:
    Well this company is already doing it. Here is their company handbook: http://www.brainlabsdigital.com/img/...bsHandbook.pdf

They pay their female staff 8.6% more (than a male for the same work I assume?) as to close the gender pay gap. Section 11 gives a good account as to why women deserve to be paid more for the same work.

ReputationRep:
    They've created institutional discrimination in an environment that did not have it. Jolly good show.

ReputationRep:
    All I have to say about this company is where do I join up?

:danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read the article, but surely that company would be discriminating illegally on the basis of gender if that's the case?

Anyway, perhaps A Level exam boards should be forced to award the same proportion of top grades to both boys and girls, regardless of how they actually perform? That will eliminate the gender grade gap.

ReputationRep:
    How to fix it? We'd have to find it first.

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest the job of a woman is to stay at home doing all the cooking and cleaning while the man earns.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.