Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just wanting some advice, I've recently recovered from a health problem that's left me with barely any muscle and an irregular heart beat (although once I get healthier than should change). I'm a healthy weight for my size but very unfit and want to turn that around completely.

I'm aiming to do this in around 16 weeks. My current plan is to do a 20 minute up hill walk (10 minutes uphill, 10 minutes down) and a 7 minute work out using an phone ap followed by dumbbell reps working with the following weekly routine:

Monday: arms, shoulders
    Tuesday: legs, abs.
    Wednesday: back, chest
    Thursday: arms, shoulders
    Friday: legs, abs
    Saturday: arms, back, chest
    Sunday: REST DAY

I'm doing 30 reps each work out so fitting around 90-150 reps per area of the body in a session. The dumbells are small (as I'm a very unfit female) and I do intend to run when I get a bit healthier.. does this sound like a good start? Any tips or advice?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geo21)
    Hi,

Just wanting some advice, I've recently recovered from a health problem that's left me with barely any muscle and an irregular heart beat (although once I get healthier than should change). I'm a healthy weight for my size but very unfit and want to turn that around completely.

I'm aiming to do this in around 16 weeks. My current plan is to do a 20 minute up hill walk (10 minutes uphill, 10 minutes down) and a 7 minute work out using an phone ap followed by dumbbell reps working with the following weekly routine:

Monday: arms, shoulders
    Tuesday: legs, abs.
    Wednesday: back, chest
    Thursday: arms, shoulders
    Friday: legs, abs
    Saturday: arms, back, chest
    Sunday: REST DAY

I'm doing 30 reps each work out so fitting around 90-150 reps per area of the body in a session. The dumbells are small (as I'm a very unfit female) and I do intend to run when I get a bit healthier.. does this sound like a good start? Any tips or advice?

Thank you!
    Chest and back on the same day probably isn't the best thing to do. I do chest + triceps/shoulders and back + biceps. I do shoulders and legs separately but it's up to you

I'd also probably lower the rep range. maybe to 10-12 reps with a fairly light weight, or 8-10 reps with a medium weight per set instead of 30 (unless you're aiming for muscular endurance...?)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.