Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is my boyfriend behaving this way because of his Anxiety? Watch

My boyfriend has Anxiety and I really want to understand it. We're both in our last year of Uni and he's incredibly stressed with exams which I completely understand but over the last few months he has been becoming more and more distant with me and now we barely talk and he doesn't seem to mind this. He said he can't really be involved with me till after his exams.This is really hard for me we're in a ldr and I miss him and feel confused because I don't know if this is because he doesn't like me any more or it is a result of his Anxiety. I want to help him if it is but don't know how from so far away. I've tried to talk to him and told him it's upset me but he doesn't seem to take in what i'm saying.

I had a boyfriend before with depression who was very mean to me and stopped putting any effort into our relationship. I kept excusing him because of his depression but was very unhappy. I feel like mental illnesses though very difficult aren't an excuse not to treat people with respect. I have depression too but have never done that though i've been tempted to isolate myself. I want to understand him but also feel like a relationship should be about supporting each other and at least when having problems checking in to explain what's going on. I don't know if i'm being unfair but I just feel confused right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend has Anxiety and I really want to understand it. We're both in our last year of Uni and he's incredibly stressed with exams which I completely understand but over the last few months he has been becoming more and more distant with me and now we barely talk and he doesn't seem to mind this. He said he can't really be involved with me till after his exams.This is really hard for me we're in a ldr and I miss him and feel confused because I don't know if this is because he doesn't like me any more or it is a result of his Anxiety. I want to help him if it is but don't know how from so far away. I've tried to talk to him and told him it's upset me but he doesn't seem to take in what i'm saying.

I had a boyfriend before with depression who was very mean to me and stopped putting any effort into our relationship. I kept excusing him because of his depression but was very unhappy. I feel like mental illnesses though very difficult aren't an excuse not to treat people with respect. I have depression too but have never done that though i've been tempted to isolate myself. I want to understand him but also feel like a relationship should be about supporting each other and at least when having problems checking in to explain what's going on. I don't know if i'm being unfair but I just feel confused right now.
    Don't worry. This has nothing to do with him not liking you. I suffer from anxiety and sometimes I get so stressed that I even ignore my friends and best friends because I need to focus all my attention on my exams. As a result, I tend to isolate myself from everyone until all my exams are over. There is nothing to worry about. Just give him some time and he will be back to normal once exams are over.

ReputationRep:
    I have both anxiety and depression, and I think I understand how both of you feel. I know you want to and feel that you should be there for him, as well as the fact that you're in a relationship. However, anxiety makes it difficult for me to not be nervous around people even when I know them really well. It becomes easier to isolate myself from things that make me anxious, like commitments, but that doesn't mean that your boyfriend doesn't want to be with you, it's just difficult to stay positive when he feels so anxious at everything. It's so difficult to judge the right thing to do for your boyfriend because everyone with anxiety is different, just as everyone with depression is different, as you will know. I find that once I distance myself from a friend because they're making me nervous, it becomes difficult to connect with them again. Maybe you should try to help him by telling someone, a counsellor perhaps? Because he probably feels isolated, even though it is no ones fault, and you probably feel lonely too, so someone with experience in helping these problems can understand how to help. I hope you both find the help you need, no one should have to go through depression, and it's difficult to find help sometimes

Thanks for the advice! I feel bad because I really badly lost my temper with him and want him to trust me again I have said sorry but don't know the best way of going about things to let him know I was finding the situation difficult rather than not liking him I want him to be able to trust me! I was also thinking if he went to counselling or tried cbt that would help him a lot. I have been trying to be very healthy and take a lot more exercise and it's really helped my mood and think it could help him too. I was wondering the best way to go about suggesting these things because I think it could help our relationship and just how he deals with things that cause him anxiety in general without making him feel worse about himself because because at the moment he's not talking to me and I know saying "you should be doing this" can make people feel inadequate./

(Original post by Bella_Sophia)
    I have both anxiety and depression, and I think I understand how both of you feel. I know you want to and feel that you should be there for him, as well as the fact that you're in a relationship. However, anxiety makes it difficult for me to not be nervous around people even when I know them really well. It becomes easier to isolate myself from things that make me anxious, like commitments, but that doesn't mean that your boyfriend doesn't want to be with you, it's just difficult to stay positive when he feels so anxious at everything. It's so difficult to judge the right thing to do for your boyfriend because everyone with anxiety is different, just as everyone with depression is different, as you will know. I find that once I distance myself from a friend because they're making me nervous, it becomes difficult to connect with them again. Maybe you should try to help him by telling someone, a counsellor perhaps? Because he probably feels isolated, even though it is no ones fault, and you probably feel lonely too, so someone with experience in helping these problems can understand how to help. I hope you both find the help you need, no one should have to go through depression, and it's difficult to find help sometimes
    (Original post by DeadEnd_96)
    Don't worry. This has nothing to do with him not liking you. I suffer from anxiety and sometimes I get so stressed that I even ignore my friends and best friends because I need to focus all my attention on my exams. As a result, I tend to isolate myself from everyone until all my exams are over. There is nothing to worry about. Just give him some time and he will be back to normal once exams are over.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.