Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm aware that student finance is based on the previous tax year of 2014/2015.

My dad has recently been diagnosed with cancer, so can no longer work. He made up the majority of the income in my household. My total household income is around £32,000 a year.

Does anyone know how I can inform student finance about this? Is there a form I need to fill out or anything?

I'm not sure if I want to go to uni at this point, but my mum only earns around 10k. This is extra stress that I really can't cope with at the moment if anyone knows what I can do I would appreciate it so much.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by kaytaylou)
    Hi everyone, I'm aware that student finance is based on the previous tax year of 2014/2015.

My dad has recently been diagnosed with cancer, so can no longer work. He made up the majority of the income in my household. My total household income is around £32,000 a year.

Does anyone know how I can inform student finance about this? Is there a form I need to fill out or anything?

I'm not sure if I want to go to uni at this point, but my mum only earns around 10k. This is extra stress that I really can't cope with at the moment if anyone knows what I can do I would appreciate it so much.
    I'm sorry about your dad. There is a change of circumstance form you can fill in (who is your funding body? and i ll find it for you) i recon you should be able to receive the maximum loan now your dad isn't working.
    It's up to you but if you decide to go to uni speak to your student support team so you can get extenuating circumstances/extensions more easily if you end up needing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaytaylou)
    An alternative perspective is that your household income is now very low. It might be a weight off your parents' minds to have your living costs largely covered hy Student Finance. Make sure you've checked the box on your SF application, which allows them to share your financial info with third parties. That way your uni will automatically assess you for income-based scholarships/bursaries and you won't have to do anything.

I agree that you should inform your uni as soon as you firm an offer. As well as giving you extenuating circumstances if you need them, you can access their Student Support department for counselling and advice. If you need to, you can take a year out of most degree courses and the uni will have a formal process to arrange that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.