Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Innovation Challenge (A Level) 2016 - Product Design watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Got the innovation challenge in a couple of weeks but haven't really been taught much on what to do in it. Anyone who has done it or knows much about it, what is it important to include, or any advice?? and what do people think the questions could be on this year judging from the preliminary material??
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Androclus)
    Got the innovation challenge in a couple of weeks but haven't really been taught much on what to do in it. Anyone who has done it or knows much about it, what is it important to include, or any advice?? and what do people think the questions could be on this year judging from the preliminary material??
    Hi Androclus. If your Exam is the same as mine haven't you been told about your Job Bag which you bring into the Exam or gone through run through questions on the Exam. You should Take a job bag into the Exam it will be very useful, you can fill it with whatever you want!

Something which I am taking in to the exam is a complete practice Innovation Challenge Marked. We did this in class but you could do one and then get your teacher to mark it. If you take your time on it and get high marks, this will be very helpful when it comes to the exam, you can just use it as a template and basically copy it but with reference this this years Design Brief.
    Also take in a few pages on stuff like:
    Anthropometrics
    Materials
    Manufacturing
    Adhesives and Joints
    Pictures of Inspiration

A mark scheme would also be quite useful to flick through as you are on each question to see the detail they are looking for.

ReputationRep:
    One key thing they don't mention in the exam paper but all over the mark scheme is sustainability, I highly recommend you look into sustainability for your job bag research

ReputationRep:
    I've got no idea- Possibly a place for gathering?- has anyone heard anything different?

ReputationRep:
    I have looked at all of the previous years past papers and the majority of the have an option of seating and shelter. Quite allot also have disposal questions like bins as you have said. I was thinking maybe signage will come up related with helping people around transport hubs ect, signage comes up a fair bit. Mabye some sort of theme about pop-up shops or aspects which can help shopping. Of all the choices above I feel like I would like to take the Seating one, I feel most comfortable with this. How about you? Good Luck, I also have this tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    I struggle with the innovation part- any tips?

ReputationRep:
    If by this part you mean section 6, the design ideas, then just remember that you may loose marks on the drawings if this is what you struggle with (I am the same) however this section can be boosted. If you look at the mark scheme yeah you get a mark out of 12 for innovative ideas but you also get a mark out of 12 for annotations. Just add lots of high quality annotations in this section and you will be sure to secure a high mark.

ReputationRep:
    are there any 'key words' or points that i should include in the annotations- I heard Joins were encouraged to be used?

ReputationRep:
    im doing this tomorrow ahhhhh help..

If a bin comes up i might jump up and scream, has anyone got any ideas for anything else that could come up?

How would you do a pop up shop also??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrbombastic1999)
    are there any 'key words' or points that i should include in the annotations- I heard Joins were encouraged to be used?
    in your annotations relate back to the specification and design brief, just do that throughout and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2399)
    im doing this tomorrow ahhhhh help..

If a bin comes up i might jump up and scream, has anyone got any ideas for anything else that could come up?

How would you do a pop up shop also??
    We thought- Sinage- Bins- Seating or popup shop
    But we arnt too sure

ReputationRep:
    Annotations I believe should include, Joints (how the product will actually fit together), Materials it is made from and their properties, Function (what it does, how it works), how the product is suited to the target market and also how the product could be manufactured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrbombastic1999)
    We thought- Sinage- Bins- Seating or popup shop
    But we arnt too sure
    What could you do for a pop up shop?

ReputationRep:
    Pop up shop would probably be for displaying products for a limited time and then able to move around. A pop up shop will not sell items for too long so it will probably be storage

ReputationRep:
    Something relating to the heritage or culture of a town centre?? or tree/nature related?
    I don't really know what a popup shop is

ReputationRep:
    Pop up shops have come up once before, so they have a chance of coming up. It means a retail store that is opened temporarily to take advantage of a trend or a seasonal product. Demand for products sold in pop-up retail is typically short-lived

ReputationRep:
    The bit I am scared for is modelling, I am not too good at that bit.

ReputationRep:
    How do you commonly incorporate innovation into your designs? do you approach it as a completely different product, or change the shape and aesthetics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exavior)
    The bit I am scared for is modelling, I am not too good at that bit.
    Don't get too detailed with it- Hinges can be made from masking tape- the 3D models don't have to have fully functioning mechanisms

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 26, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.