The Student Room Group

Summer jobs recommendations?

Looking for a job over the summer. I have experience in retail (Zara) (Debenhams) which I really disliked - but needed a job at the time.

£7 an hour is really demoralizing - so any suggestions other than a crap job in retail?

Currently studying business Economics (first year)

Thanks.
Reply 1
Try a supermarket
Original post by Dan19983
Try a supermarket

Ha, no thanks.
Reply 3
Try something in a café or corner shop maybe? Cafés are quite nice to work in and if you have experience in retail I'm guessing you know how to use a till and stuff too so it will be easy for you!
I did a thing called Serve Legal. If you're 18 and can drive you go round shops as a secret shopper to buy alcohol and other age restricted products and you report back whether you were asked for ID. It's decent money but it only starts paying well if you do loads of visits because they pay for fuel and they pay you per visit.
Reply 5
Original post by hypothesis101
Ha, no thanks.

Well I'm 17 and work in Tescos.. i earn £6.90 now and after 6months (ive been working 5 months) i will earn £7.80 + on Sundays we all get £10 an hour so at the end of the week i'm walking away with atleast £200! so it'll be your loss :smile:
In your position it's going to be hard finding a summer job that doesn't offer minimum wage, unless you're really lucky. The whole point of a summer job from a company's point of view is temporary employment in a busy period. They're going to pay you as little as possible.
Seeing as you're doing a degree I'd suggest your best bet would be to try and secure yourself an internship somewhere. Anywhere where you can gain some experience and they're often paid pretty well for 6/12 weeks of work :smile:
Original post by hypothesis101
Looking for a job over the summer. I have experience in retail (Zara) (Debenhams) which I really disliked - but needed a job at the time.

£7 an hour is really demoralizing - so any suggestions other than a crap job in retail?

Currently studying business Economics (first year)

Thanks.

I suggest stay at home and relax all day everyday and live the life.
Original post by Dan19983
Well I'm 17 and work in Tescos.. i earn £6.90 now and after 6months (ive been working 5 months) i will earn £7.80 + on Sundays we all get £10 an hour so at the end of the week i'm walking away with atleast £200! so it'll be your loss :smile:

Don't think I'll cope on a self-service machine. I feel sorry for those who have to watch over them. I'd rather work somewhere else.
I'll have to look at the internship - thanks.

I'll get really depressed staying at home - that did work years ago for me. But now I need to be stimulated and have a purpose in life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending