Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'm going to start this with the fact that I'm a massive over-thinker when it comes to money so if someone could please help me out with this, that would be great. This is also a bit of a read so I would very much appreciate if anyoe could help me out.

I have been living in Athena Hall - Ipswich (Fresh Student Living owned) for a year and a half now and I am coming up to the end of my second year tenancy. I was studying Music at University but I recently dropped out and I am working a full time job. All of my rent for this year is paid for and I can live here up until the end of my tenancy or i can check out at any time, that is all perfectly okay.

HOWEVER.

At the beginning of the year (jan) I put down a deposit on my studio flat again (£100), thinking that I would be carrying on university for my third and final year, signed my part of the tenancy agreement, but my guarantor (girlfriend, as I am estranged from parents) did NOT accept. (i assume this makes the agreement void until this is completed?)

Now obviously I am no longer returning to university. I emailed within 14 days of putting the deposit down (which was stated on their website as the max cooling off period) in order to cancel my booking. They replied with this:
    -----"Dear Ciaran, Your booking will be cancelled as you have not signed a tenancy agreement, however it will not be yet due to our administration. We will inform you as soon as this is sorted for you. Kindest Regards K**** M*****Administration Assistant – Athena Hall "----
    I then asked about getting my deposit for next year back, which was replied to with this:

----
    "Dear Ciaran, Thank you for your email, With regards to the Cancellation policy you have seen the accommodation and are cancelling and therefore you will not get a deposit refund. If you do want the booking fee refunded you would need to sign the tenancy and find a tenancy takeover, we can not guarantee a tenancy takeover but you can advertise with UCS. If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact you, Kindest Regards K**** M*****Administration Assistant – Athena Hall"------
    So, I am completely fine with losing the £100 deposit. I'm more worried about being liable for that tenancy should no one fill my room.

My question is, is that it? Will I now no longer be liable for rent paid as of when I move out? Also their contract states the landlord may cancel my tenancy if i was to cease higher education.

It also states that they're liable for repairs, of which I have logged a few that are needed, and they haven't sorted it, thus voiding their side of the contract?

I'm probably overthinking ALL of this, but someone please give me some answers/advice to get out of this anxiety HELL.

Thank you so much to anyone reading this.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    1.My question is, is that it? Will I now no longer be liable for rent paid as of when I move out? You have no contract for next year as its been canceled, so no liability.
    Btw why did your guarantor refuse, was that with your knowledge becayse she knew of your situation?

2. Also their contract states the landlord may cancel my tenancy if i was to cease higher education. = This is irrelevant. You will have left, but had you tried to stay as a non student then hey would have had discretion to cancel.

3. It also states that they're liable for repairs, of which I have logged a few that are needed, and they haven't sorted it, thus voiding their side of the contract?
    = No you are confused and this is irrelevant. You have no contract.

Right a recap. My understanding is you are dropping out of uni for the second year and are now working.
    You had put a deposit down for the 3rd year, but opted to drop out instead.
    You canceled within 14 days as allowed, which they confirmed
    You lost your deposit, which they also confirmed and you are fine with that.

You got confused by the second email becayse it talks abiut getting the deposit back. They are merely saying you cna have the deposit back if you sign the contract and then find a replacement to take the room. Obviously if you didnt find a replacement(its likely you would), then youd have to pay the rent until you did.
    This would ofc be a bad deal for you. Do not sign, stick to losing the £100 and get on with your life.

I have repeated this for you to make it very clear and to ensure you understand.
    Keep copues of the e-mail. If you are unsure, then check with them again, although they should soon be sending you a cancelation confirming termination of the contract.

Any other questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    1.My question is, is that it? Will I now no longer be liable for rent paid as of when I move out? You have no contract for next year as its been canceled, so no liability.
    Btw why did your guarantor refuse, was that with your knowledge becayse she knew of your situation?

2. Also their contract states the landlord may cancel my tenancy if i was to cease higher education. = This is irrelevant. You will have left, but had you tried to stay as a non student then hey would have had discretion to cancel.

3. It also states that they're liable for repairs, of which I have logged a few that are needed, and they haven't sorted it, thus voiding their side of the contract?
    = No you are confused and this is irrelevant. You have no contract.

Right a recap. My understanding is you are dropping out of uni for the second year and are now working.
    You had put a deposit down for the 3rd year, but opted to drop out instead.
    You canceled within 14 days as allowed, which they confirmed
    You lost your deposit, which they also confirmed and you are fine with that.

You got confused by the second email becayse it talks abiut getting the deposit back. They are merely saying you cna have the deposit back if you sign the contract and then find a replacement to take the room. Obviously if you didnt find a replacement(its likely you would), then youd have to pay the rent until you did.
    This would ofc be a bad deal for you. Do not sign, stick to losing the £100 and get on with your life.

I have repeated this for you to make it very clear and to ensure you understand.
    Keep copues of the e-mail. If you are unsure, then check with them again, although they should soon be sending you a cancelation confirming termination of the contract.

Any other questions?
    There is a god. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciaranpburgess)
    you would need to sign the tenancy and find a tenancy takeover
    Dear god do not do this! You would then be liable for the rent.

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like you're not going to be liable for anything, call them if you want to confirm as you can ask any questions

do not sign and find another tenant, losing £100 is well worth not taking the risk of being liable for the full year

for the record if the landlord doesn't meet their obligations you can complain etc to relevant people but you are still liable for your rent regardless

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.