Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Questions for Islam and those in I-SOC watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So this thread is to give Islam and fair chance. I want to see what muslims say for it and understand why they believe it.

Some background. I am already a theist so you don't have to persuade me of the existence of God Rather I am more interested in why Islam is the true religion.

I would start with a general, open question so that people who reply can do so however they want.

Why do you think Islam is true and why should I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ModernGoodGuy)
    So this thread is to give Islam and fair chance. I want to see what muslims say for it and understand why they believe it.

Some background. I am already a theist so you don't have to persuade me of the existence of God Rather I am more interested in why Islam is the true religion.

I would start with a general, open question so that people who reply can do so however they want.

on the lam means on the run
    so is lam = "is on the run" = you are on the run FROM SINS

IT'S THE TRUE R3L1G10N!!!!!!!! ACCEPT IT!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)

Are you proud of this post? Have you satisfied some sort of urge? :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    Are you proud of this post? Have you satisfied some sort of urge? :nothing:
    lol i s2g I don't even remember half the posts I make they just happen
    looking back, I'm not "proud" of anything but yes I did enjoy it xD
    no all my urges still remain
    Spoiler:
    Show
    why don't you contribute something useful?

ReputationRep:

Crazy ass

ReputationRep:

Hi

It is a very broad question. The response would involve things such as follow: Islam's applicability to all aspects of life, Islam's ethos in general, the strongly defined concept of an absolutely independent God, the focus on immaterialism and higher purposes, the devotion to submitting to God and loving Him, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think Islam is true?
    Because of "Scientific, linguistic and numerical miracles".

They seem awfully popular amongst the muslim world. But don't seem to stand under further scrutiny or much acknowledged by reputable scientists and linguists and seem to be falling out of fashion by some Muslim apologists.

ReputationRep:

PRSOM :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Islam is not just a religion, but a way of life.
    It gives rulings on every little thing from what hand to eat with, to how to clean yourself after relieving yourself. It's amazing how it's like a complete guide to paradise, so you have absolutely no excuse when God questions you and your actions on Judgment Day.

We have such a merciful God where if you commit sin after sin after sin, no matter if they are as great as the earth, you are still forgiven. Yet we are still ungrateful, we turn away from God and disobey Him.

The Quran is the only book that has not had a single letter changed from it. And if all the Qurans were to be vanished from the earth, you would still have thousands of people who have memorised it and they would all repeat the same verses to you, with no change of wording.

These are just some of the reasons. There isn't just one reason. The truth can only truly be found if you search for it yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

It is a very broad question. The response would involve things such as follow: Islam's applicability to all aspects of life, Islam's ethos in general, the strongly defined concept of an absolutely independent God, the focus on immaterialism and higher purposes, the devotion to submitting to God and loving Him, and so on.
    Sorry to hijack this response but I'm interested in the reasons for people's beliefs too! :yes:

The way you talk, it makes it seem as though you "like the way Islam feels" rather than relying on evidence as such (I'm not trying to imply its a bad thing, I just want to understand what you think). Would you say that's true, or have I misrepresented you?

ReputationRep:
    lol i s2g I don't even remember half the posts I make they just happen
    looking back, I'm not "proud" of anything but yes I did enjoy it xD
    no all my urges still remain
    Spoiler:
    Show
    why don't you contribute something useful?
    Don't worry. "Pride" is what stops us entering paradise... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toughtee)
    Sorry to hijack this response but I'm interested in the reasons for people's beliefs too! :yes:

The way you talk, it makes it seem as though you "like the way Islam feels" rather than relying on evidence as such (I'm not trying to imply its a bad thing, I just want to understand what you think). Would you say that's true, or have I misrepresented you?
    It isn't at all that "I just believe in Islam because I like how it feels". I thought that the aforementioned broadly described some answers to OP's general question
    Having said that, of course personal experience is very significant as one's faith/religion includes what one personally experiences alongside affirming the theological concepts.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't at all that "I just believe in Islam because I like how it feels". I thought that the aforementioned broadly described some answers to OP's general question
    Having said that, of course personal experience is very significant as one's faith/religion includes what one personally experiences alongside affirming the theological concepts.
    Ah okay, sorry for misinterpreting you then! :sorry:

I definitely agree with you that personal experience, as long as you can be reasonably sure you're actually experiencing what you think you are, is key to holding a belief. The best way to truly know something, it could be argued, is to experience it first hand.

If this is too personal then feel free not to answer, I'll completely understand, but would you mind doing a quick overview of the experiences that led you to your religion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Islam is not just a religion, but a way of life.
    It gives rulings on every little thing from what hand to eat with, to how to clean yourself after relieving yourself. It's amazing how it's like a complete guide to paradise, so you have absolutely no excuse when God questions you and your actions on Judgment Day.

We have such a merciful God where if you commit sin after sin after sin, no matter if they are as great as the earth, you are still forgiven. Yet we are still ungrateful, we turn away from God and disobey Him.

The Quran is the only book that has not had a single letter changed from it. And if all the Qurans were to be vanished from the earth, you would still have thousands of people who have memorised it and they would all repeat the same verses to you, with no change of wording.

These are just some of the reasons. There isn't just one reason. The truth can only truly be found if you search for it yourself.
    I very interesting and heartfelt response

Why do you choose to follow the rules given in the Quran rather than rules given in other religious texts? After all they claim to be a complete guide for salvation/escaping hell on Judgement Day/attaining enlightenment etc.!

Did you find that you liked the rules and thus followed Islam, or followed Islam first and then came to the realisation that you thought the rules were good?

ReputationRep:
    I very interesting and heartfelt response

Why do you choose to follow the rules given in the Quran rather than rules given in other religious texts? After all they claim to be a complete guide for salvation/escaping hell on Judgement Day/attaining enlightenment etc.!

Did you find that you liked the rules and thus followed Islam, or followed Islam first and then came to the realisation that you thought the rules were good?
    Thank you

Well I was always a Muslim- brought up into Islam because my family were Muslims.
    I didn't know a lot of the rulings, just the main ones, but the rulings I did know I was happy with.

I had learnt about other religions, but never felt the need to change my own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, sorry for misinterpreting you then! :sorry:

I definitely agree with you that personal experience, as long as you can be reasonably sure you're actually experiencing what you think you are, is key to holding a belief. The best way to truly know something, it could be argued, is to experience it first hand.

If this is too personal then feel free not to answer, I'll completely understand, but would you mind doing a quick overview of the experiences that led you to your religion?
    No worries

Of course I wouldn't mind, although it would involve mentioning very briefly some select experiences from the whole of my life thus far.

Some people, when asked why they have faith respond with an anecdotal approach. No doubt, many people have experienced certain outcomes that were otherwise improbable, or come to later realise a loss as being 'for the greater good' in the long run - and those who are religious often pray to God, seeking guidance and submitting to Him, during such times. Whether this be in some small matter, or in some deep personal matter, the response to invoking Allah sincerely is something that I have not experienced going in vain. Whether it be that some vital need of yours is met, beyond any expectation, from where you could not imagine, or whether it be that a near and dear one comes to life after being assigned to death by senior healthcare professionals with the words "We're sorry, we've done everything that was possible. It's now a matter of taking every hour as it comes...", one begins to see the unfolding manifestation of Allah's control over matters in the universe. This does not mean that He forces all matters, like compelling everyone to pay charity or be religious lest He vanquish them from existence. Rather His control over all things is established, whether He causes them to manifest in any particular way or another. For example, if I were to create a paper plane, I have the full capability to edit it or to destroy it as I wish - my not destroying it does not mean that I am unable to do so.

When some are asked as to why they believe, they immediately recall the life that religion nourishes in their hearts, its lifting them from materialism and vanity and moving them towards aspects of life that trul;y matter yet are neglected in the facade of modernism. Whether this is the development of a more ascetic and less material mindset, the focusing on one's mental and spiritual health, the maintaining of good relationships with family, neighbours and other members of the community, or simply the very personal feeling of deep emotion and reflection from the teachings of religion - all such things may be experienced by the one individual. In Islam, the believer has a very invested relationship with His Creator, and this is further augmented by one's relationship with the Quran and the teachings of the Sunnah. Many a time, a non-Muslim may pick a page of the Quran and read it, yet remain unmoved and unimpressed. Yet, as Marmaduke Pickthall stated it, the Quran is that which "moves men to ecstasy and tears". This vast difference is a result of how much the reader chooses to interact with the Quran and whether he sincerely tries to understand and learn from it. No doubt, this is influenced by the reader's intention, level of understanding and level of familiarity with the language that the Quran is actually in. The Quran asks the reader again and again, "afalaa ta'qiloon?" (do they then not use reason?), "afalaa yatadabbur al-Quran?" (do they then not ponder deeply over the Quran?)

كِتَابٌ أَنزَلْنَاهُ إِلَيْكَ مُبَارَكٌ لِّيَدَّبَّرُوا آيَاتِهِ وَلِيَتَذَكَّرَ أُولُو الْأَلْبَابِ
    (This is) a Book (the Quran) which We have sent down to you, full of blessings that they may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may remember.
    [Quran, Surah Saad]

Oh dear, I've just realised how long this post has gotten :teehee: As such, I'll just quickly mention some other particular things:

- how the Quran is such a vast thing to ponder over
    - how the character of the Prophet of Islam (peace be upon him) in its reality was a manifestion of forbearance and ascetism as well as an example of decisive leadership
    - how Islamic principles relate to my daily life, how I interact with people beyond my own conveniences for the sake of pleasing God
    - how Islam and its teachings make sense to me in relation to life and the values that we ought to have
    - how the association of Islamic prayer (salaah and du'a) is so profound and deeply moving

ReputationRep:
    honestly, the threat of hell keeps me a muslim.. really not tryna go there. whether its true is pretty much irrelevant to my already ingrained fear of god.

if hell wasn't a thing.. i probably wouldn't even care about religion. the only thing that keeps muslims muslim i reckon is that they're scared of the possibility of what might happen in the hereafter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    honestly, the threat of hell keeps me a muslim.. really not tryna go there. whether its true is pretty much irrelevant to my already ingrained fear of god.

if hell wasn't a thing.. i probably wouldn't even care about religion. the only thing that keeps muslims muslim i reckon is that they're scared of the possibility of what might happen in the hereafter.
    I'm sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, is this a result of how you were brought up to see religion? It's unfortunate that a significant number of people grow up to see religion as a mere set of rules and don't have an opportunity to see it for the 'so much more' that it really is. Feel free to fly by the ISOC thread, if you want to - we normally have Islam-related discussions there and members post some awesome quotes and short vids :awesome: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, is this a result of how you were brought up to see religion? It's unfortunate that a significant number of people grow up to see religion as a mere set of rules and don't have an opportunity to see it for the 'so much more' that it really is. Feel free to fly by the ISOC thread, if you want to - we normally have Islam-related discussions there and members post some awesome quotes and short vids :awesome: :yep:
    it seems a burden, all the rules and regualtions and time spent on religion.. it was almost (probably was) forced upon me to the extent i just lost interest. whilst i gained interest again a few years ago, i just haven't seen it to benefit my life in anyway.

now it's even to the extent i don't attend islamic related events because of the name-calling 'ahh munafiq' ahh 'you listen to music haram, going to hell'.. somewhat quite annoying really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    it seems a burden, all the rules and regualtions and time spent on religion.. it was almost (probably was) forced upon me to the extent i just lost interest. whilst i gained interest again a few years ago, i just haven't seen it to benefit my life in anyway.

now it's even to the extent i don't attend islamic related events because of the name-calling 'ahh munafiq' ahh 'you listen to music haram, going to hell'.. somewhat quite annoying really
    It has a psychological knock-on effect which I totally understand as having a real basis. It's just sad when we Muslims fail at exposing the beauty of Islam and manage only to show it as black versus white. Islam is, in reality, as Allah has described it:

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اسْتَجِيبُوا لِلَّهِ وَلِلرَّسُولِ إِذَا دَعَاكُمْ لِمَا يُحْيِيكُمْ
    O you who have believed, respond to Allah and to the Messenger when he calls you to that which gives you life.
    [Surah al-Anfaal]

Spoiler:
    Show
    "God’s Messenger (peace be upon him) calls on them to follow what wouldcertainly give them life. It is a call to life in its fullness, with all its connotations. Hecalls on them to believe in a faith that keeps hearts and minds alive, free from therestrictions of jāhiliyyah, ignorance and superstition, the pressures of legends,misconceptions and submission to superficial causes and inevitabilities. It is a faiththat frees them from submission to anyone other than God and from beinghumiliated or subjugated by human beings or desires."

"He also calls on them to have power and to feel exalted through their faith andconstitution, having full confidence in their religion and their reward."

"This is indeed a call to life in the full sense of the word. This religion is a complete way of living, not amere concept of belief. It is a practical method that allows life to flourish and prosper.Hence, it is a call to life in all its connotations, forms and aspects. The Qur’ān sumsup all this in a few inspiring words: “Believers, respond to the call of God and theMessenger when he calls you to that which will give you life.” (Verse 24)"

[Fee dhilal al-Quran]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.