Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If you had the power, how would you stop IS(Islamic State) watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Everyone talks about what the government are doing right or wrong to IS- there is a lot of chatter but not a lot of doing. So if you had the power what would you do to stop IS?

(Original post by Defraction)
    Everyone talks about what the government are doing right or wrong to IS- there is a lot of chatter but not a lot of doing. So if you had the power what would you do to stop IS?
    You mean like a super power?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Summon dragons which would follow my command.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Summon dragons which would follow my command.
    Daenerys don't do this
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Impressive)
    You mean like a super power?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, imagine you being USA, take away Donald Tramp being in the picture. What would you do as a superpower to eliminate IS?

ReputationRep:
    Right we have to look at the argument logically- If we do not bomb them they would have continued to grow expand, recruit and murder many syrians who did not fit in with their plan. Lets not forget they killed syrains en masse, many more than what airstikes could have killed. Russia have killed thousands of citizens but in my opinion had the most effective system bombing the supplies and training camps ISIS have utilised to grow and expand, so despite killing many civillians they have wiped out a lot of ISIS resources (http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-in-six-months) Including oil resources which ISIS was selling to turkey, this has had the greatest impact on syria both in a good and a bad way there was many of their resources was destroyed which i think is good because it slowed down their stroll to power in Syria, but on the other hand they have also bombed very many civilians - not sure if USA and Uk have killed civilians but this has caused a flood of syrian migrants in to Europe- this is a negative impact because many more countries will fell pressured into taking refugees - now i think that ISIS would have the skill to anticipate this and get many of their agents into Europe and by doing this they can teach and radicalise their poisioned version of Islam to many european muslims- this will allow isis to diversify into many European countries (UK have suspected 450 ISIS members- cant reveal source as they will get fired) . Many people argued that airstrikes do not work can actually now be proven wrong airstrikes have helped regional forces take back territory- this proves the negotiation merchants wrong ( This is when people such as Diane Abbott and Jeremy Corbyn thought you could negotiate with ISIS)- they would hold you for ransom and carry on with there plan anyway so that is why negotiating can never work with them. I will now link in why airstrikes work. ISIS bare in mind is not just Syria- its full definition is Islamic state of Iraq and Syria - In Iraq ISIS lost 40% of territory and control of the country and ISIS have lost 20% in Syria aswell (http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-la...16-2?r=US&IR=T).

The way I see it is that if you bomb or not the civilians are always going to be in a non win situation. ISIS was killing lots of syrian people and if we left them to it, it would have been less financially costly ( we wouldn't have used resources) but many people would of died and ISIS would probably have recruited and trained many more forces and would have the fuinding to be an international threat because Turkey was buying oil supplies from them. So Bombing Iraq and Syria in my opinion was probably the best idea to constrain and contain the risk of ISIS to the UK even if you risk some running with refugees for European recruitment missions. Airstrikes have destroyed a lot of their resources and their main assets ( western speaking leaders) have been killed Jihadhi John and the other leader. I have not done thorough research Most of this is just my belief
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChildOfTony)
    Right we have to look at the argument logically- If we do not bomb them they would have continued to grow expand, recruit and murder many syrians who did not fit in with their plan. Lets not forget they killed syrains en masse, many more than what airstikes could have killed. Russia have killed thousands of citizens but in my opinion had the most effective system bombing the supplies and training camps ISIS have utilised to grow and expand, so despite killing many civillians they have wiped out a lot of ISIS resources (http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-in-six-months) Including oil resources which ISIS was selling to turkey, this has had the greatest impact on syria both in a good and a bad way there was many of their resources was destroyed which i think is good because it slowed down their stroll to power in Syria, but on the other hand they have also bombed very many civilians - not sure if USA and Uk have killed civilians but this has caused a flood of syrian migrants in to Europe- this is a negative impact because many more countries will fell pressured into taking refugees - now i think that ISIS would have the skill to anticipate this and get many of their agents into Europe and by doing this they can teach and radicalise their poisioned version of Islam to many european muslims- this will allow isis to diversify into many European countries (UK have suspected 450 ISIS members- cant reveal source as they will get fired) . Many people argued that airstrikes do not work can actually now be proven wrong airstrikes have helped regional forces take back territory- this proves the negotiation merchants wrong ( This is when people such as Diane Abbott and Jeremy Corbyn thought you could negotiate with ISIS)- they would hold you for ransom and carry on with there plan anyway so that is why negotiating can never work with them. I will now link in why airstrikes work. ISIS bare in mind is not just Syria- its full definition is Islamic state of Iraq and Syria - In Iraq ISIS lost 40% of territory and control of the country and ISIS have lost 20% in Syria aswell (http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-la...16-2?r=US&IR=T).

The way I see it is that if you bomb or not the civilians are always going to be in a non win situation. ISIS was killing lots of syrian people and if we left them to it, it would have been less financially costly ( we wouldn't have used resources) but many people would of died and ISIS would probably have recruited and trained many more forces and would have the fuinding to be an international threat because Turkey was buying oil supplies from them. So Bombing Iraq and Syria in my opinion was probably the best idea to constrain and contain the risk of ISIS to the UK even if you risk some running with refugees for European recruitment missions. Airstrikes have destroyed a lot of their resources and their main assets ( western speaking leaders) have been killed Jihadhi John and the other leader. I have not done thorough research Most of this is just my belief
    Hmmm, amazing point. So, this is similar to the Vietnam War- sometimes killing people is the 'lesser of 'two evils' to eliminate a terrorist organisation( but the Vietcong wasn't really a terrorist group but you get my point).

I would vote for you to become Prime Minister of the UK- but be part of Labour then I'll vote for your political party.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, amazing point. So, this is similar to the Vietnam War- sometimes killing people is the 'lesser of 'two evils' to eliminate a terrorist organisation( but the Vietcong wasn't really a terrorist group but you get my point).

I would vote for you to become Prime Minister of the UK- but be part of Labour then I'll vote for your political party.
    Id Probably say I'm a bit right wing economically- I would say not to dis-similar to Tony Blair, who was lazily described as center left when he personally was a compassionate conservative
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ChildOfTony)
    Id Probably say I'm a bit right wing economically- I would say not to dis-similar to Tony Blair, who was lazily described as center left when he personally was a compassionate conservative
    Tony Blair was really good PM, he may have abandoned traditional Labour values but his policies were very effective. Sometimes beliefs don't necessarily matter but what you actually do and form a new policy shows whether you are effective or not.

Yes, imagine you being USA, take away Donald Tramp being in the picture. What would you do as a superpower to eliminate IS?
    Woo!

I don't know. Never thought about this.

Why would you even want to eliminate them? They're people too, right? Or not?

I would hire assistants from different countries and I would hear to their strategies, suggestions and any other ideas. This would save me time and instead I could focus on looking for new kind of music on YouTube.

By the the way, what is your favourite music genre?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Impressive)
    Woo!

I don't know. Never thought about this.

Why would you even want to eliminate them? They're people too, right? Or not?

I would hire assistants from different countries and I would hear to their strategies, suggestions and any other ideas. This would save me time and instead I could focus on looking for new kind of music on YouTube.

By the the way, what is your favourite music genre?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I listen to Trap- it's an under-rated music genre- it's mostly beats(hard ones it's really similar to rap but without vocals kind of)
    I also listen to Rap- my favourite rappers are J Cole and Kendrick Lamar because they are so philosophical when they rap- I LOVE THEM SO MUCH.

ReputationRep:
    i would tell Daesh that there was a beauty pageant for 5 year olds at Dimona.

ReputationRep:
    Send in team America. **** yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)

This, obviously.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by the bear)
    i would tell Daesh that there was a beauty pageant for 5 year olds at Dimona.
    LOOOOOOOL. I'M DYING OF LAUGHTER. Daesh is filled with guys who are desperate to get a sexual relationship with any girl they see. I honestly feel sorry for their parents.

ReputationRep:
    I would genetically engineer a bunch of female vampires and werewolves and let them loose on them because they believe being killed by a woman would mean they go to hell
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Sabertooth)

What about Team Russia? Imagine Putin fighting off IS with his thug friends around him.

ReputationRep:
    Serious answer: Do nothing. Take no action. Don't send in any weapons or soldiers. Don't talk about it - if possible and not too controverisal, discreetly issue legislation to restrict the world's media from reporting on ISIS.

Anything you do will feed the flames of the fire. Do nothing and the fires eventually die out.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I would genetically engineer a bunch of female vampires and werewolves and let them loose on them because they believe being killed by a woman would mean they go to hell
    Hmmmm, imagine the whole Vampire Diaries gang and Twilight gang fighting together against IS. I imagine Jacob tearing the little losers down till they sadly die. If only vampires and werewolves existed
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cosmic angel)
    Serious answer: Do nothing. Take no action. Don't send in any weapons or soldiers. Don't talk about it - if possible and not too controverisal, discreetly issue legislation to restrict the world's media from reporting on ISIS.

Anything you do will feed the flames of the fire. Do nothing and the fires eventually die out.
    That's so true. IS want to get an reaction from us so if we ignore them and act like they are annoying things constantly on our backs- then they'll eventually stop. But what if we stop and they continue and lots of lives are gone?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.