Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get this topic
    Can someone somehow explain it to me .
    1i first of all. I dont get the over and underestimate part.
    http://m.imgur.com/RfhVAQC
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    I really don't get this topic
    Can someone somehow explain it to me .
    1i first of all. I dont get the over and underestimate part.
    http://m.imgur.com/RfhVAQC
    Thanks
    Why don't you sketch the curve and then think about drawing rectangles where the right part of the rectangle meets the curve and where the left part of the rectangle meets the curve. Sketch these on two different diagrams, can you see which is an overestimate and which is an underestimate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Why don't you sketch the curve and then think about drawing rectangles where the right part of the rectangle meets the curve and where the left part of the rectangle meets the curve. Sketch these on two different diagrams, can you see which is an overestimate and which is an underestimate?
    The left is under and the right is over. I still dont get why you dont go upto x=2 for the under?

ReputationRep:
    The left is under and the right is over. I still dont get why you dont go upto x=2 for the under?
    I'm not sure what you mean? Could you post your working? You should have 4 rectangles that go up to x=2 I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what you mean? Could you post your working? You should have 4 rectangles that go up to x=2 I think.
    Idk tbh. But when we were doing it in class i remember doing
    0.5×(1+0^3)^1/2 + 0.5(1+0.5^3)^1/2+0.5(1+1^3)^1/2 + 0.5(1+1.5^3)^1/2 but not including 0.5(1+2^3)^1/2 not sure why?

ReputationRep:
    0.5×(1+0^3)^1/2 + 0.5(1+0.5^3)^1/2+0.5(1+1^3)^1/2 + 0.5(1+1.5^3)^1/2 but not including 0.5(1+2^3)^1/2 not sure why?
    Sketch the triangle and you'll see why. It's a 'left'-triangle and the height is determined by the left-part of the rectangle touching the curve. So the rectangle 'left' part touches the curve at x=1.5 and then has a width of 0.5 which covers the region to x=2. Wait, let me sketch it real quick.

ReputationRep:
    You're not sketching your graphs, are you?

Can you see how the height of the fourth rectangle is determined by sqrt(1+1.5^3)?

ReputationRep:
    You're not sketching your graphs, are you?

Can you see how the height of the fourth rectangle is determined by sqrt(1+1.5^3)?
    oo is it where the left bit of the rectangle hits the curve. which is at x=1.5?

ReputationRep:
    oo is it where the left bit of the rectangle hits the curve. which is at x=1.5?
    Yes, and that's the left-rectangle sum thingy. This is why you need to skeeeetch.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and that's the left-rectangle sum thingy. This is why you need to skeeeetch.
    For the right-rectangle you don't include zero because the right bit doesn't touch it?

ReputationRep:
    For the right-rectangle you don't include zero because the right bit doesn't touch it?
    Indeed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.