Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been struggling with mental health issues for some time now, I briefly saw a therapist when I was in school but it didn't work out, but I was still managing to function fairly normally. Since starting university things haven't been good at all though. I went to the counselling service last year when I was very down and lonely, and finding it impossible to focus on work. I also had some issues with paranoia.

I was referred to a GP who prescribed me sertraline and a therapist who was helpful. I think the sertraline helped at first and I'd always feel better after the therapy sessions but the therapist then left, I was told I'd be referred to another but I never heard anything back from the practice.

The start of second year wasn't too bad although I was still feeling lonely as I have struggled to make close friends since starting uni (I never used to before). However, since second semester, things have gone really downhill. I feel very depressed again, even worse than before. I struggle to get out of bed in the mornings and barely attend uni, I've been to one lecture since the start of semester. When I'm there I find myself being very irritated by the people around me and argumentative, and I find it hard to get along with other people.

I cry every day for no reason. I have had some trouble with drug use too, smoking cannabis most days when I feel sad, and the closest friend I had at uni distanced herself from me when she found out I'd been doing coke.

I went to the doctors and explained all this to a nurse and she said it would be best if I saw the doctor who prescribed me the sertraline last year (I'm not taking the sertraline now as I didn't feel it was helping at all). I ended up being unable to attend the appointment she made me and I did phone to request a reschedule but it turned out she didn't have any other appointments free for the rest of the month. I really feel like I need some help but I have no idea what to do, there doesn't seem to be anyone else I can go to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been struggling with mental health issues for some time now, I briefly saw a therapist when I was in school but it didn't work out, but I was still managing to function fairly normally. Since starting university things haven't been good at all though. I went to the counselling service last year when I was very down and lonely, and finding it impossible to focus on work. I also had some issues with paranoia.

I was referred to a GP who prescribed me sertraline and a therapist who was helpful. I think the sertraline helped at first and I'd always feel better after the therapy sessions but the therapist then left, I was told I'd be referred to another but I never heard anything back from the practice.

The start of second year wasn't too bad although I was still feeling lonely as I have struggled to make close friends since starting uni (I never used to before). However, since second semester, things have gone really downhill. I feel very depressed again, even worse than before. I struggle to get out of bed in the mornings and barely attend uni, I've been to one lecture since the start of semester. When I'm there I find myself being very irritated by the people around me and argumentative, and I find it hard to get along with other people.

I cry every day for no reason. I have had some trouble with drug use too, smoking cannabis most days when I feel sad, and the closest friend I had at uni distanced herself from me when she found out I'd been doing coke.

I went to the doctors and explained all this to a nurse and she said it would be best if I saw the doctor who prescribed me the sertraline last year (I'm not taking the sertraline now as I didn't feel it was helping at all). I ended up being unable to attend the appointment she made me and I did phone to request a reschedule but it turned out she didn't have any other appointments free for the rest of the month. I really feel like I need some help but I have no idea what to do, there doesn't seem to be anyone else I can go to.
    Go to whatever doctor you can see soonest. If that is too long you can go to any walkin clinic. You can also go to your unis student support centre. They will suggest things for you so I won't say much else, but personally I would suggest you look at going back to therapy and possibly starting a different medication. I found that therapy was annoying or didn't help me for quite a while but once I got to a point I wasn't functioning properly anymore it helped a lot so it is worth trying again even if you didn't like it last time.

If you want anybody to talk to in the meantime you can call or email samaritans or call 111.

Always follow up if something is not working for you or if what they say will happen doesn't. Sometimes medications and things need to be changed as some people don't respond well to some and sometimes the NHS messes up a bit and looses paperwork.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    X
    I don't usually reply to threads like this (I can't give decent advice) but I was recently in a very similar situation, excluding the drug use- depression, loneliness, missing nearly all lectures, hiding from the world in my bed, crying, therapy, counselling, appointments..I feel you
    See a GP, any GP, asap. Ask to go back on Sertraline, and increase your dosage if possible. You'll feel better in two weeks.
    I think perhaps coming off it so abruptly might have made your depression worse.

I started taking the maximum dosage and over the last few weeks I have been functioning well and feeling motivated. I still suffer some days but its so much more bearable. I actually feel happy sometimes.

I hope that's helpful.

Feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    im in a similar situation to you, including the drug use.
    Iv recently seeked out uni councilling but its not easy taking advice from someone who doesnt feel the same as you, they only claim to know or understand.

Shoot me a pm OP if you ever want to talk

(Original post by Kindred)
    Go to whatever doctor you can see soonest. If that is too long you can go to any walkin clinic. You can also go to your unis student support centre. They will suggest things for you so I won't say much else, but personally I would suggest you look at going back to therapy and possibly starting a different medication. I found that therapy was annoying or didn't help me for quite a while but once I got to a point I wasn't functioning properly anymore it helped a lot so it is worth trying again even if you didn't like it last time.

If you want anybody to talk to in the meantime you can call or email samaritans or call 111.

Always follow up if something is not working for you or if what they say will happen doesn't. Sometimes medications and things need to be changed as some people don't respond well to some and sometimes the NHS messes up a bit and looses paperwork.

Good luck.
    Thankyou. I know it sounds stupid but whilst I do think the uni support service is the best bet, I'm really nervous to approach them again as they saw me last year but I stopped seeing them at the end of the year because I felt better, and the mental health advisor was really happy and said she hoped I wouldn't have to come back. Which sounds like a ridiculous reason but I think I'd just feel like a burden to them. Also, I didn't mention anything to them about the drug use but I probably should get help with it and I'm scared if I tell the mental health advisor she will see me completely differently. The thing is I know logically if they work in mental health they probably see this all the time I just don't really have the guts to speak to them honestly.

(Original post by queenofswords)
    I don't usually reply to threads like this (I can't give decent advice) but I was recently in a very similar situation, excluding the drug use- depression, loneliness, missing nearly all lectures, hiding from the world in my bed, crying, therapy, counselling, appointments..I feel you
    See a GP, any GP, asap. Ask to go back on Sertraline, and increase your dosage if possible. You'll feel better in two weeks.
    I think perhaps coming off it so abruptly might have made your depression worse.

I started taking the maximum dosage and over the last few weeks I have been functioning well and feeling motivated. I still suffer some days but its so much more bearable. I actually feel happy sometimes.

I hope that's helpful.

Feel free to PM me.
    Thanks for your response. It's nice to hear that someone else knows how I feel but I am sorry you went through that and I'm glad you're feeling better. I agree that stopping the sertraline abruptly was a silly idea and probably hasn't helped things. I'm not sure what my view towards antidepressants is though, as when I first started taking them I felt a lot better but after a while I got worse again and was even worse than when I began. I'm worried if I tell the GP and they increase my dosage I'll just get stuck in a cycle of feeling temporarily better then having to take more. I just don't know enough about them to feel completely comfortable taking them (especially as I obviously already have issues with dependency).

(Original post by ripjonsnow)
    im in a similar situation to you, including the drug use.
    Iv recently seeked out uni councilling but its not easy taking advice from someone who doesnt feel the same as you, they only claim to know or understand.

Shoot me a pm OP if you ever want to talk
    I'm sorry to hear that. I really hope the counselling works out for you and you feel better soon. I know exactly what you mean though, it's so hard trying to explain how you feel to someone when you know they won't really get it. I also worry that they will take a very negative view of me if I'm honest about the drug stuff and try to tell me that's what causing my depression, but really I only do it because I don't know how to cope otherwise.

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry to hear that. I really hope the counselling works out for you and you feel better soon. I know exactly what you mean though, it's so hard trying to explain how you feel to someone when you know they won't really get it. I also worry that they will take a very negative view of me if I'm honest about the drug stuff and try to tell me that's what causing my depression, but really I only do it because I don't know how to cope otherwise.
    exact same as me :/
    I started taking to cope, and If I tell someone I were to take it they would say thats the reason why

ReputationRep:
    Find any help at the moment if possible, as one person as said it, be it your local doctor.

Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thankyou. I know it sounds stupid but whilst I do think the uni support service is the best bet, I'm really nervous to approach them again as they saw me last year but I stopped seeing them at the end of the year because I felt better, and the mental health advisor was really happy and said she hoped I wouldn't have to come back. Which sounds like a ridiculous reason but I think I'd just feel like a burden to them. Also, I didn't mention anything to them about the drug use but I probably should get help with it and I'm scared if I tell the mental health advisor she will see me completely differently. The thing is I know logically if they work in mental health they probably see this all the time I just don't really have the guts to speak to them honestly.
    Follow what you know logically. The problems you have are going to make you feel embarassed and scared and things about getting help, but that's the problems lying to you.
    I would mention the drug use. Yeah it's possibly going to sound a bit bad, but at the end of the day you need help and they are the help. They should understand mh problems and how they relate to the drug use anyway so I wouldn't worry about them judging you.

They will always hope that you don't need to come back, but they will also hope that if you need to you will. Don't worry about being a burden a) it's their job and b) they want you to be happy and that is there to help you do that.

If you are worried that you won't be able to tell them about things, try writing them down beforhand so that way all you need to do is hand them a piece of paper to kick things off and break the ice. It helped me when I went to the doctors for the first time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.