Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm never happy, I've never been happy. I don't know why this is. Everyone else seems to be able to relax but I seem to be tense and uncomfortable all the time. Ultimately, I look at the world and all I see is evil, arrogance and ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    its your mindset my friend... try to change your mindset and you will be happy... try to see thing from a positive angle and you'll be more likely to be succeeded in your life...

(Original post by fatima1998)
    its your mindset my friend... try to change your mindset and you will be happy... try to see thing from a positive angle and you'll be more likely to be succeeded in your life...
    I guess I oughta start by getting off TSR.

ReputationRep:
    What is it that's disturbing your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you'd benefit from counselling or therapy. Just to talk through your thoughts and help you figure out why you're unhappy. Then you're one step closer to changing whatever it is that is making you sad.

(Original post by EllainKahlo)
    Sounds like you'd benefit from counselling or therapy. Just to talk through your thoughts and help you figure out why you're unhappy. Then you're one step closer to changing whatever it is that is making you sad.
    Basically, the world, the people in it and everything is what is making me angry.

Ironically, I wasn't specific enough and those terms obviously describe what makes me happy as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, the world, the people in it and everything is what is making me angry.

Ironically, I wasn't specific enough and those terms obviously describe what makes me happy as well.
    What do you actually believe will make you happier realistically? If anything?

(Original post by EllainKahlo)
    What do you actually believe will make you happier realistically? If anything?
    Well, nothing, really. That's the problem. Everyone else seems fine yet I'm just not, it seems.

ReputationRep:
    Well mental illnesses will do that to people.
    I myself suffer from OCD and it's made life a lot more difficult for me!
    But always try to look at the positives for everything!
    There's always something positive to look at.

ReputationRep:
    Try making friends, that's probably the best medicine

(Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Well mental illnesses will do that to people.
    I myself suffer from OCD and it's made life a lot more difficult for me!
    But always try to look at the positives for everything!
    There's always something positive to look at.
    Yes, I think I have OCD as well, though to me it's more like a minor annoyance. I think what makes life difficult for me is the overwhelming negativity of life. I don't know how to switch to the mindset of looking only at positives.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think I have OCD as well, though to me it's more like a minor annoyance. I think what makes life difficult for me is the overwhelming negativity of life. I don't know how to switch to the mindset of looking only at positives.
    OCD sucks hardcore!

Hmm that's understandable. There are lots of negatives in life but I'm afraid there's nothing that can be done to change that.
    You need to realize that many good things have happened and will happen to you!

ReputationRep:
    Well, nothing, really. That's the problem. Everyone else seems fine yet I'm just not, it seems.
    Perhaps you should see a professional. Sometimes a hormone imbalance or even a vitamin deficiency can lead to depression and they may be able to offer you help.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like anhedonia. It's the inability to feel pleasure and it can, by definition, definitely make you feel like nothing is enjoyable. When you can't feel happiness, you get depressed, frustrated, angry at the world - especially when all you see on social media is the best moments of peoples lives. Switching your mindset is extremely difficult and it does sounds like there's a biological reason for what you're feeling if all you can see is negativity and you feel you're not happy and never been happy.

The fact that you're posting this on here may be a sign that you want things to change. Relating to people on here is a great first step. I would say that you have nothing to lose by seeing a GP or a mental health professional, and everything to gain. The way you're feeling could be a mindset issue, but it could also be as simple as having a thyroid problem or some adverse effect of medication. Seek help. I did, and it's definitely worth it

ReputationRep:
    To be honest at the moment you can't really be blamed for feeling everyone's ignorant and all the stuff you mentioned things aren't exactly great at the minute for a lot of people so you're not alone.

ReputationRep:
    This might be a stupid question, but are you sad?

I've been in a state of apathy for the last few months, and it's hard to know how to deal with it. Currently I've just accepted that being apathetic is probably better than being unhappy.

I used to get annoyed at stuff such as the general unfairness of life, how the government favours some, the general disrespect between people everyday. But then I decided to stop caring, and it made stuff a lot easier. It may not be an amazing solution, but if you cannot change something there's not really any point in letting it effect you.

Obviously you cannot just caring about something, but maybe try to read less and interact less with subjects that make you unhappy/angry.

(Original post by Montgomery_G)
    I used to get annoyed at stuff such as the general unfairness of life, how the government favours some, the general disrespect between people everyday. But then I decided to stop caring, and it made stuff a lot easier. It may not be an amazing solution, but if you cannot change something there's not really any point in letting it effect you.

Obviously you cannot just caring about something, but maybe try to read less and interact less with subjects that make you unhappy/angry.
    Boom! This, this guy's got it spot on. That is literally exactly the same as me.

ReputationRep:
    Boom! This, this guy's got it spot on. That is literally exactly the same as me.
    It appears we are in similar situations then. I've yet to find a way to remedy my current feeling of apathy, but if I find something to help I will try to contact you.

One thing I'm sure of at the moment is what makes me unhappy, therefore I stay away from these things. However, there is so much stuff that I haven't done that I cannot confidently say what makes me happy. Therefore, I have recently been trying new things, even if I don't know anything about them. This isn't easy as I quite socially anxious, but I try anyway because I may chance upon something that I do enjoy. Sort of a 'Trial and Error' approach.

Sorry I couldn't offer any real advice. I think I know how you feel, so understand your general perception at the moment. I'd be happy to correspond with you if you wanted to ask anything or talk.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.