Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm having a nightmare with my part-time Sainsbury's job - I'm a general assistant on the clothing dept and started October 2015.
    SO, when I first started the job I signed a contract for Tuesdays 2-6 and Saturday 9-5, which I was happy with. A few weeks later as Christmas was approaching I was asked by my manager to help her out over the busy period and do a 2-10 on a Saturday night just until things slowed down again. I agreed and began doing a 2-10 on a Saturday, no contract signed at all, just a verbal agreement.

As soon as Christmas was over I asked her time and time again that I can't do the 2-10 anymore and that I really needed my CONTRACTED 9-5 shift back due to my busy studies. She said she couldn't because there was nobody else to cover it, so I pestered and I pestered and she still said no, no, no. Now that I've been doing this shift that I'm unable to do for FIVE months I went through HR, sought advice, got my contract printed out and refused to do the shift I wasn't contracted to do anymore. My manager FINALLY gave me my shift back after all of that, and I was due to return to my original contract this week after leaving under the impression that it would happen with immediate effect, which was the whole point.

I arrived at my shift on Tuesday, and was approached by a Team Leader saying that my manager had relayed on to her to tell me I still have to do the 2-10 for another FOUR weeks until she can get it covered. I refused and contacted my manager saying that I have stated many times before I cannot do the shift, especially now my big uni projects are happening. I didn't end up getting a reply from my manager and will be seeing her tomorrow evening for a 6-10 I am doing to discuss this.

I was just wondering if there was any advice on how to get around this, NO MEANS NO, but she is so stubborn and I am willing to leave if I cannot return to my original shift as it is now affecting my uni work.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by kerwickdanielle)
    So I'm having a nightmare with my part-time Sainsbury's job - I'm a general assistant on the clothing dept and started October 2015.
    SO, when I first started the job I signed a contract for Tuesdays 2-6 and Saturday 9-5, which I was happy with. A few weeks later as Christmas was approaching I was asked by my manager to help her out over the busy period and do a 2-10 on a Saturday night just until things slowed down again. I agreed and began doing a 2-10 on a Saturday, no contract signed at all, just a verbal agreement.

As soon as Christmas was over I asked her time and time again that I can't do the 2-10 anymore and that I really needed my CONTRACTED 9-5 shift back due to my busy studies. She said she couldn't because there was nobody else to cover it, so I pestered and I pestered and she still said no, no, no. Now that I've been doing this shift that I'm unable to do for FIVE months I went through HR, sought advice, got my contract printed out and refused to do the shift I wasn't contracted to do anymore. My manager FINALLY gave me my shift back after all of that, and I was due to return to my original contract this week after leaving under the impression that it would happen with immediate effect, which was the whole point.

I arrived at my shift on Tuesday, and was approached by a Team Leader saying that my manager had relayed on to her to tell me I still have to do the 2-10 for another FOUR weeks until she can get it covered. I refused and contacted my manager saying that I have stated many times before I cannot do the shift, especially now my big uni projects are happening. I didn't end up getting a reply from my manager and will be seeing her tomorrow evening for a 6-10 I am doing to discuss this.

I was just wondering if there was any advice on how to get around this, NO MEANS NO, but she is so stubborn and I am willing to leave if I cannot return to my original shift as it is now affecting my uni work.
    There's a Sainsbury's thread here where employees might be able to give you some advice

ReputationRep:
    hi ive worked for sainsburys for many years and been at management level if it is not in your contract then you are NOT obligated to do the 2-10 so you can refuse to do it as it is not in your contract she can however change your contract with a period of notice so be careful as she may try to do this but as youve put your happy to leave but dont let her bully you and take furthur action if she does try to bully you as you have your rights and tell her you are doing your shifts you are contracted to and do them shifts even if you turn up and they say u have to do the other shifts just refuse and explain its not in my contract and you have told management well in advance that you cannot do this due to your other commitments with uni sorry for going o

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been working at a Sainsbury's local for some time now and want to hand in my 4 week's notice. I was wondering do holidays count towards the notice, like can I hand in my 4 week's notice 3 weeks before I'm due to go on holiday and then have the week that I'm on holiday count as my 4th? Any help will be much appreciated.

Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.