The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by economicss
Please could someone explain question 7d on here https://57a324a1a586c5508d2813730734691051ac35fd.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZ3M4QzJ0N19IeHc/June%202014%20(R)%20QP%20-%20S2%20Edexcel.pdf have never been able to understand it, thanks :smile:

Up to which point do you understand?

It starts with E(R) = E(aX^2 + bX) = aE(X^2) + bE(X) using laws of expectation.
Original post by SeanFM
Up to which point do you understand?

It starts with E(R) = E(aX^2 + bX) = aE(X^2) + bE(X) using laws of expectation.

Ah okay thank you, I understand how you find E(X) and Var(X) but I'm stuck from there, thanks :smile:
Original post by economicss
Ah okay thank you, I understand how you find E(X) and Var(X) but I'm stuck from there, thanks :smile:

So you know that (from my previous post) you are trying to find E(X^2) and E(X) and multiply them by a and b respectively and sum them to find E(R). And you know that, by the definition of Var(X), Var(X) = E(X^2) - E(X)^2, so E(X^2) = Var(X) + E(X)^2, and since you can work out those two things you can find E(R).
Original post by SeanFM
So you know that (from my previous post) you are trying to find E(X^2) and E(X) and multiply them by a and b respectively and sum them to find E(R). And you know that, by the definition of Var(X), Var(X) = E(X^2) - E(X)^2, so E(X^2) = Var(X) + E(X)^2, and since you can work out those two things you can find E(R).

Ah yes I see, thanks so much for your help! :smile:
Quite worried for this exam tbh :frown:
Reply 45
Does anyone know where I can find the s2 edexcel 2015 paper? I can't find the link to it anywhere. Thanks in advance!
Original post by Zayniac
Does anyone know where I can find the s2 edexcel 2015 paper? I can't find the link to it anywhere. Thanks in advance!

The edexcel website.
Hey, can someone help me?

Is it neccessary to learn the the proof for the E(X) and Var(X) for Continuous Uniform Distribution (Rectangular Distribution)?
Reply 48
Original post by undercxver

Is it neccessary to learn the the proof for the E(X) and Var(X) for Continuous Uniform Distribution (Rectangular Distribution)?

Bad news: well, I've seen it pop up in a past paper once.

Good news: You don't need to remember it. It's essentially all in your formula book.

Can you see the bit in the "PDF is 1ba\frac{1}{b-a}" thing? And then above that table is "Expectation/mean is xf(x)dx\int xf(x) \, \mathrm{d}x" and the corresponding thing for Var(x)\text{Var}(x)?

So all you need to do is, if you're asked to prove it, you don't need to remember anything. Open your formula booklet, they tell you the pdf is f(x)=1baf(x) = \frac{1}{b-a}, they want you to find the E(X), okay then, just plug it into the formula given:

E(X)=xf(x)dx=abxbadx=1ababxdx\displaystyle E(X) = \int xf(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^b \frac{x}{b-a} \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{a-b} \int_a^b x \, \mathrm{d}x which you can finish up from here.

And they want variance, okay then, still just plugging in:

Var(X)=x2f(x)dxμ2=abx2badxμ2=1baabx2dxμ2\displaystyle \text{Var}(X) = \int x^2 f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x - \mu^2 = \int_a^b \frac{x^2}{b-a} \, \mathrm{d}x - \mu^2 = \frac{1}{b-a} \int_a^b x^2 \, \mathrm{d}x - \mu^2

Where μ\mu is just the expectation you found above.

For the expectation:

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken

Good news: You don't need to remember it. It's essentially all in your formula book.

Can you see the bit in the "PDF is 1ba\frac{1}{b-a}" thing? And then above that table is "Expectation/mean is xf(x)dx\int xf(x) \, \mathrm{d}x" and the corresponding thing for Var(x)\text{Var}(x)?

So all you need to do is, if you're asked to prove it, you don't need to remember anything. Open your formula booklet, they tell you the pdf is f(x)=1baf(x) = \frac{1}{b-a}, they want you to find the E(X), okay then, just plug it into the formula given:

E(X)=xf(x)dx=abxbadx=1ababxdx\displaystyle E(X) = \int xf(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^b \frac{x}{b-a} \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{a-b} \int_a^b x \, \mathrm{d}x which you can finish up from here.

And they want variance, okay then, still just plugging in:

Var(X)=x2f(x)dxμ2=abx2badxμ2=1baabx2dxμ2\displaystyle \text{Var}(X) = \int x^2 f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x - \mu^2 = \int_a^b \frac{x^2}{b-a} \, \mathrm{d}x - \mu^2 = \frac{1}{b-a} \int_a^b x^2 \, \mathrm{d}x - \mu^2

Where μ\mu is just the expectation you found above.

For the expectation:

Spoiler

Thank you for your help!

You're so quick lmao. :rofl:

Learn... I'm not sure.

You can/should probably know how to get it by using definitions to find E(X^2) and E(X) and using that Var(X) = E(X^2) - E(X)^2, The one tiny bit that you need to know is that b3a3=(ba)(a2+ab+b2)b^3 - a^3 = (b-a)(a^2+ab+b^2) - that's the hardest bit and the rest is okay.

Hope you're finding everything okay :hugs:

Original post by Zacken

I think I may be screwed for S2.

I only know DRV + Estimation/sampling. :argh: Even then I only get 9/14 -> 10/15 marks on average. :bawling:
Why does everyone say S2 is easy? :backstab:
Reply 52
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Because it is?
Original post by Zacken
Because it is?

I feel so :stupido: in S2. ... #feelsbadman

Not everyone is :albertein: like you.

To reward myself I'll go do M1 revision, which I'm better at. :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
Learn... I'm not sure.

You can/should probably know how to get it by using definitions to find E(X^2) and E(X) and using that Var(X) = E(X^2) - E(X)^2, The one tiny bit that you need to know is that b3a3=(ba)(a2+ab+b2)b^3 - a^3 = (b-a)(a^2+ab+b^2) - that's the hardest bit and the rest is okay.

Hope you're finding everything okay :hugs:

Yeah I understand that, I should be okay with it. Though I think I may panic if I see it in an exam though since it doesn't come up.

It's going alright. Thank you! :hugs:

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I think I may be screwed for S2.

I only know DRV + Estimation/sampling. :argh: Even then I only get 9/14 -> 10/15 marks on average. :bawling:

You will be fine! I was so pissed off at myself for leaving S2 revision till so late. But it's such a small module and easy to grasp. The ExamSolutions dude does a great job at explaining it. If you need any help for S2 feel free to ask me, it would be practise for me too. :tongue:

Spend like a day on the other three topics you have left, and I promise you it will take you only a day to go over it all.
You will be fine! I was so pissed off at myself for leaving S2 revision till so late. But it's such a small module and easy to grasp. The ExamSolutions dude does a great job at explaining it. If you need any help for S2 feel free to ask me, it would be practise for me too. :tongue:

Spend like a day on the other three topics you have left, and I promise you it will take you only a day to go over it all.

I agree with that first bit ... disagree with the 2nd bit.

Thanks, will do. I'm spending next 3 days on learning it & then I'll start past papers for it. I'm just worried if I should put my eggs in 1 basket with M1 since Ik I'll score higher in that module than S2 or just try and juggle them both. :sigh:

#struggleissurreal

What have you tried? :h:
Reply 58

Seems like you're going to be doing simple unitary stuff. i.e. 1 customer in 6 minutes, so 10 customers in an hour. For the second part, think of a suitable approximation when a Poisson distribution becomes difficult to apply.
Original post by Ayman!
Seems like you're going to be doing simple unitary stuff. i.e. 1 customer in 6 minutes, so 10 customers in an hour. For the second part, think of a suitable approximation when a Poisson distribution becomes difficult to apply.

Omg I'm actually so stupid
I was using the 9 as my lamda value which is why I got confused
Silly me
Thank you!
Such an easy question as well lool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending