Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I have started meditating in the last couple of days and I can find time to sit down and try but my start daydreaming and it's really hard to get back when i'm lost in a train of thought. Anybody know anything you can do to help with focus? It feels like I'm wasting my meditation time by just day dreaming with my eyes closed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana ice-cream)
    Hi guys,
    I have started meditating in the last couple of days and I can find time to sit down and try but my start daydreaming and it's really hard to get back when i'm lost in a train of thought. Anybody know anything you can do to help with focus? It feels like I'm wasting my meditation time by just day dreaming with my eyes closed.
    First thing's first I wouldn't be too discouraged if I were you, especially if you're a beginner as keeping your mind blank for a prolonged period of time is a skill that needs to be cultivated and it can be quite difficult for most people because we're so used to always having thoughts flying around our head.

A technique I found that worked for me was not trying to resist random thoughts because what you resist persists. I'd simply notice them and let them pass across my mind without actually dwelling on them, as if I were an observer. A bit like lying on the ground, looking up at the sky and just noticing the clouds drifting across without analysing each one and thinking about its shape.

Other techniques can involve concentrating on your breathing. One which I've recently explored has been to solely concentrate on the strange "lights" and "patterns" that you see when your eyes are closed, I sometimes watch them like I'm watching a movie and most of our minds are relatively blank when watching films etc.

My number one advice would be to persevere though, very few people get the knack of keeping a blank mind from the beginning, it usually takes dedication and practice.

ReputationRep:
    It's totally normal and the number one advice would be not to worry about it, and to refocus on your breathing. Counting your inhales and exhales can be a big help at the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    Hi banana! I like bananas :-)

That's a form of restlessness. It's one of five mental hindrances.

Just destroy them. Use your imaginations.

Daydreaming? Just burn it! Imagine you set fire to those daydreams.

Trains of thought? Burn them too! You can burn those trains without worrying about the police. It's not illegal.

Does that work? There are so many ways to deal with mental hindrances.:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banana ice-cream)
    Hi guys,
    It's completely normal, the only expectation to have is that as soon as you notice you've been lost in thought you gently bring your attention back and repeat for every time it happens

One thing meditation is supposed to reveal is although you can improve focus and stop your mind's mumblings being out of control, ultimately we humans have little control over our automatic thoughts, we constantly do it even when we try to consciously stop

A useful tip piece of advice I got is that it's about the quality not the quantity meaning 3 sessions of 10 mins are better than one session of an hour, once you get into it better build up the time per session

Finally, when just beginning I think guided meditation is a big help, I love the headspace app, it has useful animation videos along the way, the first 10 are free, the rest you pay for, but you can keep reusing the free ones

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.