The Student Room Group

Chance me for Warwick 2 year diploma/msc economics?

Post erased for personal reasons.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by longshanksbow
Dear Thestudentroom,

Profile :
- Ivy league(non-harvard/yale/princeton), economics major
(almost a major's worth of philosophy courses)
- Four years of experience in economics research at a central bank
(one research paper first author; two research papers second author)
- International student with two years in military service

caveats :

The school has a funny GPA policy since it has no official GPA and it eliminates failed courses from the transcript, but 2.8~3.0/4.0(a 2:2) would be adequately characterized.

I can score well on the GMAT(practice test : 710) but I'll know once I take the real test.

I had a long, long period of dysthymia/goallessness/other distorted thinking for a long time, due to some childhood traumas.

Can I make it into Warwick's 1) 1 year MSc or 2) 2 year diploma+MSc program?

They may ask why you want to do a two-year diploma when you are already majoring in Economics. Might be wise to clear this up in the personal statement.
Original post by Aceadria
They may ask why you want to do a two-year diploma when you are already majoring in Economics. Might be wise to clear this up in the personal statement.

This is because I don't have any substantial math courses under my belt with the exception of single variable calculus and of course some other multivariable skills I used in econ courses or some statistics concepts in econometrics courses however I don't have the full set of math courses written down...
Original post by longshanksbow
This is because I don't have any substantial math courses under my belt with the exception of single variable calculus and of course some other multivariable skills I used in econ courses or some statistics concepts in econometrics courses however I don't have the full set of math courses written down...

It makes sense. If my memory serves me right, the Warwick MSc is relatively quantitative and they will be looking for students with a strong Maths background. If you do end up applying for the two-year diploma, I recommend mentioning that you are applying for it as you lack the background to succeed on the full-time MSc. Maybe mention individual units on the diploma that might be relevant for your preparation (again, this is all based on personal experience but someone with more knowledge of the course can help here).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending