The Student Room Group

No PhD supervisor

I am a self-funded part-time PhD student and am five years into my PhD. As far as my research is going, there is more than enough material, I feel I am making good progress on my research and have already written up about 50,000 words. I feel I know where I am going and the right decisions I need to take. Recently I was approached to contribute a chapter to a major new book, along side very well known experts in the field. This chapter is also going well and I have loads of enthusiasm.

There has been an unfortunate series of events which is putting everything in jeopardy. My second supervisor retired and my supervisor is off on long term sick. I was not told this and discovered via an out of office email. The only contact I now have with my university is a secretary, who has supposedly been trying to find me an appropriate supervisor...... for three months. Now there has been mention of an intermission, which I am point-blank going to refuse. I am literally furious at the university for not getting something in place. I have devoted five years of my life to this project, worked in some horrible jobs to fund it and put my life on hold. I have spent a small fortune on fees and just cannot believe how badly the administration have dealt with it. Despite loving my subject, I wonder whether it is time to quit, self- publish the bits and bobs I have and get a real job. Thankfully I am a qualified teacher, so at least have some skills to offer.
Original post by waif

Why should you give up on your PhD because of their poor administration? How often do you really need your Supervisor, 3 months doesn't sound that long to be without a Supervisor, for a part-time PhD, it's effectively 6 weeks in full-time terms, less than the summer vacation. That's not to make light of their administrative inefficiencies, but replacing a PhD Supervisor isn't a matter of just picking the next name off the list.

Can you join the hunt for a Supervisor and approach people yourself? Does the Supervisor have to be at that Uni, sometimes you can have a visiting Supervisor. I'd just keep pressing them for a resolution and be clear when you need a Supervisor because you have pieces of work to discuss.
You seem motivated, have made good progress, and have a strong sense of where you're going. I'd start making enquiries about an external supervisor in your field. University admin departments are notoriously weak: no-one ever grows up dreaming of becoming academic admin staff.
Good advice above. Just a point to add, have you approached your head of grad studies (person who looks after research students in the dept)? They may have some ideas about your options and who may be good people to approach about supervision and how.
Original post by DrSocSciences
University admin departments are notoriously weak: no-one ever grows up dreaming of becoming academic admin staff.

Ouch!
Original post by threeportdrift
Ouch!

Oh, ok, ..no-one I've ever met or have worked with, so, a much smaller universe, and therefore not a reliable generalisation. Happier?
Original post by DrSocSciences
Oh, ok, ..no-one I've ever met or have worked with, so, a much smaller universe, and therefore not a reliable generalisation. Happier?

:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending