Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When I get angry I find myself hating on Eastern European immigrants Watch

ReputationRep:
    Now first up, go easy on me please, I'm being very honest here.

I live in Scotland ( but I'd say I'm from generations of immigrants... since 1940s my family came from Switzerland to France to England then to Scotland - I have a Scottish father )

I am a fairly sociable and polite gentleman, I hold no ill will to any group or person.

Although when I get angry or I'm having a bad day, I seem to start thinking about immigrants, particularly Eastern European ones, and in particular again Polish ones.

My thoughts start to fuse with my anger and I find myself really hating the fact that Scotland is full of Polish people.

Everyone I seem to pass in the street is a Polish mother with a baby in a pram and I feel a hatred for them.

Then I snap out of it and hate myself for thinking such things.

Nearly all the Polish immigrants I have met, come here, work very hard, live well, set up home and have children ( very catholic some would say ) ... and what on earth is wrong with that ! ? ...they are good citizens.

I have had bad experience with Polish people in the past, a Polish girl I dated made me believe Polish people were demanding, materialistic and greedy... she left me after a 3 year relationship in which she told me over and over that she was in love with me, as she progressed and got a well paid job... she left me, because she didn't need me anymore. ( that is how it felt, I didn't make enough money and she wanted to start a family, she was very catholic ... and not in a nice Christian way )

Anyway, my main point is, I hate getting angry at anyone and my hate is totally unwarranted.

I'm being very honest here, so I hope if you have some advice or you want to admit to these thoughts too, you will be honest with yourself and not get all self-righteous.

I'm trying to explore where these thoughts come from.

Does anyone else honestly feel themselves having hateful thoughts about Eastern European immigrants ?

How can I deal with this ?

ReputationRep:
    They say you only use 10% of your brain at any given time. Maybe only 10% of you hates Polish people.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. That's pretty odd, especially as you have 0 reason to hate them. I'm really not sure. Perhaps they're just easy to hate because some people hate them, and why not lash out at the easiest target? But it is very weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svissloki)
    I'm being very honest here, so I hope if you have some advice or you want to admit to these thoughts too, you will be honest with yourself and not get all self-righteous.
    No, can't say I have. Take responsibility for your own prejudice and stop making excuses for yourself.

(Original post by Svissloki)
    Now first up, go easy on me please, I'm being very honest here.

I live in Scotland ( but I'd say I'm from generations of immigrants... since 1940s my family came from Switzerland to France to England then to Scotland - I have a Scottish father )

I am a fairly sociable and polite gentleman, I hold no ill will to any group or person.

Although when I get angry or I'm having a bad day, I seem to start thinking about immigrants, particularly Eastern European ones, and in particular again Polish ones.

My thoughts start to fuse with my anger and I find myself really hating the fact that Scotland is full of Polish people.

Everyone I seem to pass in the street is a Polish mother with a baby in a pram and I feel a hatred for them.

Then I snap out of it and hate myself for thinking such things.

Nearly all the Polish immigrants I have met, come here, work very hard, live well, set up home and have children ( very catholic some would say ) ... and what on earth is wrong with that ! ? ...they are good citizens.

I have had bad experience with Polish people in the past, a Polish girl I dated made me believe Polish people were demanding, materialistic and greedy... she left me after a 3 year relationship in which she told me over and over that she was in love with me, as she progressed and got a well paid job... she left me, because she didn't need me anymore. ( that is how it felt, I didn't make enough money and she wanted to start a family, she was very catholic ... and not in a nice Christian way )

Anyway, my main point is, I hate getting angry at anyone and my hate is totally unwarranted.

I'm trying to explore where these thoughts come from.

Does anyone else honestly feel themselves having hateful thoughts about Eastern European immigrants ?

How can I deal with this ?
    you already know where they are coming from.
    past experiences with that polish girl and it's projecting onto all poles. You feel bad for it so don't blame yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Having racist thoughts I think is usual. I mean it is really easy to be xenophobic but it needs thinking to be pacifist. You know when I was younger I was racist towards Albanian people (they are many in the country I live) and as I grew and went to high school I realised that we are all humans and nationality doenst matter. Right now I am a member of antiracist organisations and help the refugees. My point is that we arnt born perfect, we need to try to improve ourselves every day and it is not easy. I read many books and had discussions with great ppl so I can stop having bad thoughts.
    I was too honest. I hope it helps and dont worry. Btw I really hope British ppl dont be mean at me when I will move to England cause I come from a country that I guess ppl dont like: /

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.