Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a lot of difficulty sending evidence off from my mum. We need a decree absolute but she was divorced over 25 years ago. Obviously she still doesn't have the decree absolute, nor do the solicitors keep anything after 10 years. We phoned up the courts, but they are asking for £45 for a copy!!!! When we are budgeting pennies to buy food, that is just to expensive and we cannot afford to get it.
    Is there any other evidence we could send apart from a decree absolute??
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If she knows the case number (probably not), then the fee is reduced to £10.

Presumablu she knows the court where it was granted. Ring them up or write them a letter explaining the situation, even go in person. You might be able to twist their arm if you are nice about it. You could also ask them if a for ex160 would cover getting a copy. thats an exemption form for low income families and court fees. It might not cover it.

You need to make it as easy for them as possible, so names, date and the court it was granted in otherwise they are guessing.

ReputationRep:
    No, she doesn't know the case number. I'll try what you advised and ring up, explaining the situation. It's been such an uphill battle, as she's really against me going to university, due to our financial circumstances.
    Thank you though. You've been really helpful
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by RachLou**)
    No, she doesn't know the case number. I'll try what you advised and ring up, explaining the situation. It's been such an uphill battle, as she's really against me going to university, due to our financial circumstances.
    Thank you though. You've been really helpful
    Do you know the court and the date? Plus the names. Id probably try a letter and they might take pity on you.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-tribunal-fees

I am unsure if an ex160 will cover you, dont think its intended to but I think it woukd be rare for anyone to apply. Fill it out anyway, maune take it . You cna get court staff to help you if you are persuasive and appeal to their better nature. You are just asking someone to go out of their way and search for you, if you are polite and feel sympathy they might. Make it easy for them. Good luck.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm having a lot of difficulty sending evidence off from my mum. We need a decree absolute but she was divorced over 25 years ago. Obviously she still doesn't have the decree absolute, nor do the solicitors keep anything after 10 years. We phoned up the courts, but they are asking for £45 for a copy!!!! When we are budgeting pennies to buy food, that is just to expensive and we cannot afford to get it.
    Is there any other evidence we could send apart from a decree absolute??
    The evidence listed includes:
    A photocopy of:• Decree absolute/Decree Nisi, or • Dissolution order, or• A letter from their solicitor con rming their status.

However often SFE will also accept a council tax bill confirming that your mum gets single person discount.

ReputationRep:
    I think its disgraceful that they are asking for evidence of an event that happened 25 years ago. I am in a similar position of having to prove that my ex doesn't live with me, I left him 10 years ago and have never had anyone ask me for proof of leaving him since. I also don't have any of the required documents they are asking for . After a long phone conversation I sent them all of my utility bills but they are still asking for documents that don't exist!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear about your hardships, I think you should phone SFE and explain it to them, hopefully they are understanding.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by mumof3students)
    I think its disgraceful that they are asking for evidence of an event that happened 25 years ago. I am in a similar position of having to prove that my ex doesn't live with me, I left him 10 years ago and have never had anyone ask me for proof of leaving him since. I also don't have any of the required documents they are asking for . After a long phone conversation I sent them all of my utility bills but they are still asking for documents that don't exist!
    That's because the 'computer says no!'
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    They have to know because it makes a difference to how much money the applicant is entitled to. As its the applicant asking for assistance, then its up to the applicant to meet the criteria and not the other way round. With the OP proof of her decreaa absolute does exist, its just she has not kept her own copy and it costs to get them to search for it. I thought PQs explanation of accepting council tax bill as quite accommodating. Wont cost any money and perfectly straightforward to obtain.

ReputationRep:
    The council tax bill should be removed from the list of acceptable evidence, as over 18s count as adults as far as council tax is concerned. Im off to the magistrates court tomorrow to get a statutory declaration. It seems to be the only thing left that they will accept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Do you know the court and the date? Plus the names. Id probably try a letter and they might take pity on you.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-tribunal-fees

I am unsure if an ex160 will cover you, dont think its intended to but I think it woukd be rare for anyone to apply. Fill it out anyway, maune take it . You cna get court staff to help you if you are persuasive and appeal to their better nature. You are just asking someone to go out of their way and search for you, if you are polite and feel sympathy they might. Make it easy for them. Good luck.
    I phoned up the county court, but they were quiet snooty, and I didn't get any other options than expensive ones.
    But I rang up SFE today and they were a lot more helpful! I need to get a council tax bill stating we get a 25% reduction. So hopefully it can be sorted this week!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's pretty annoying!! Would you be able to send in a council tax bill stating a 25% reduction for single occupancy??
    SFE told me today that if you log onto a website called statute declaration, you could fill a form out and take it to the court, whereby the price should be reduced to £20?
    Try calling them and see where you get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    I'm sorry to hear about your hardships, I think you should phone SFE and explain it to them, hopefully they are understanding.
    I explained the situation we are in and they were really helpful. I didn't want to be pleading for anything, so I just gave them the straight up facts and took it from there. My mum always says I have to much pride for someone who doesn't have two pennies to rub together!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I phoned up the county court, but they were quiet snooty, and I didn't get any other options than expensive ones.
    But I rang up SFE today and they were a lot more helpful! I need to get a council tax bill stating we get a 25% reduction. So hopefully it can be sorted this week!
    I'd have gone in person. It all depends who you get, you are basically asking someone to bend the rules for you. Alternatively im not sure whetehr an ex160 would apply. As PQ pointed out above the council tax letter you can get for nothing Didnt know ofc otherwise id have sent you there). I thought you would have seen it. All good though and you saved the money.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the magistrates court , they sent me to the county court , they told me to go see a solicitor! I printed out my declaration , and went to a solicitor to get it witnessed .. cost me just £6 at the solicitor , which by the way was less than it cost me to park up at the courts!
    Good luck everyone who has this problem with documentation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.