Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Frankie Boyle sells masochism like all western satirists. It's anything but edgey Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just because he punctuates it with the word c*nt does not make him subversive. I'm so bored of left wing satirists replacing insight with swearing and patting themselves on the back for it. It isn't brave to swear in 2016 (It's not morally wrong either) it is brave to tackle genuinely controversial subjects.

http://thesatedire.com/entertainment...-isis-sm-ring/

ReputationRep:
    I think you have a point there. I used to find him quite funny but after he went off the radar for a bit he just doesn't seem that funny anymore. Seems like he's trying too hard to be edgey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack1066)
    I think you have a point there. I used to find him quite funny but after he went off the radar for a bit he just doesn't seem that funny anymore. Seems like he's trying too hard to be edgey.
    Exactly how I feel and felt about him.

He comes across as a bitter conspiracy theorist going through a midlife crisis now. It's all a bit too easy. I am fine with the word **** but it does not make him edgy.

ReputationRep:
    He's funny occasionally, but most of the time the aim is just to shock rather than the joke actually being funny in itself. Never been a fan of his tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    He's funny occasionally, but most of the time the aim is just to shock rather than the joke actually being funny in itself. Never been a fan of his tbh.
    Yeah. I am more annoyed at his self-righteous politics than his comedy now though. He seems to have taken the worst part of his comedy and aimed it at Guardian columns and iPlayer programs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damien96)
    Yeah. I am more annoyed at his self-righteous politics than his comedy now though. He seems to have taken the worst part of his comedy and aimed it at Guardian columns and iPlayer programs.
    Only time I've really enjoyed his humour is on Mock The Week where he has to tone it back and actually come up with funny punchlines during the relevant rounds. Watched one of his Stand Up DVDs once and turned it off halfway though, dreadful stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Only time I've really enjoyed his humour is on Mock The Week where he has to tone it back and actually come up with funny punchlines during the relevant rounds. Watched one of his Stand Up DVDs once and turned it off halfway though, dreadful stuff.
    Exactly how I feel about him. I loved him to begin with but even the Channel 4 program was embarrassingly bad.

ReputationRep:
    Not my cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Not my cup of tea.
    I'm not sure if this contradicts my previous statements but I rather like sweary offensive comedy. the key part of that phrase though is comedy, without it it's just offensive, which is boring.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.