Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It hada bit of an incident with my coffee this morning. I dried it off with a towel as quick as I could and it kept working fine. At lunchtime I tried it and it's black screen, lights on and making beeping. It does a series of beeps when I turn it on then sits doing nothing but makes a different beep every minute or so. I can hear the fan on.

Should I give it longer to dry out or do something or is it dead? It's not worth spending much fixing it, the battery is useless, it's quite beat up and I was planning to replace it some time soon anyway.

I had a stroll round PC World the other week to get a ballpark idea of cost for a new one. All the cheap ones now seem to be cloud memory. If I understand right then you only get a little memory for stuff you are working on then everything else lives on the internet. That sounds annoying if I'm on a train and want to download some stuff to watch or my internet breaks and I want access to a file. Then after so long I think I need to pay them for the storage so it probably isn’t much cheaper if my laptop lasts a few years (current one was cheapest and has lasted 3 years including a lot of travel)

I don't understand why this is meant to appeal to me- Am I missing something?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by BKS)
    It hada bit of an incident with my coffee this morning. I dried it off with a towel as quick as I could and it kept working fine. At lunchtime I tried it and it's black screen, lights on and making beeping. It does a series of beeps when I turn it on then sits doing nothing but makes a different beep every minute or so. I can hear the fan on.

Should I give it longer to dry out or do something or is it dead? It's not worth spending much fixing it, the battery is useless, it's quite beat up and I was planning to replace it some time soon anyway.

I had a stroll round PC World the other week to get a ballpark idea of cost for a new one. All the cheap ones now seem to be cloud memory. If I understand right then you only get a little memory for stuff you are working on then everything else lives on the internet. That sounds annoying if I'm on a train and want to download some stuff to watch or my internet breaks and I want access to a file. Then after so long I think I need to pay them for the storage so it probably isn’t much cheaper if my laptop lasts a few years (current one was cheapest and has lasted 3 years including a lot of travel)

I don't understand why this is meant to appeal to me- Am I missing something?
    I've spilt a drink on my laptop before, and I left it for about 24 hours in a dry place (remove the battery if possible!) before trying to turn it on again. I'd try leaving it at least till tomorrow until you decide whether it's gone or not... Leaving it upside down, so keyboard is face down, may also help so the liquid goes away from the motherboard, rather than towards it...

In terms of hard drive space on a new laptop, cloud storage has never appealed to me. Mainly for the reasons that you've stated... If you see a laptop which does have a small hard drive, it might be worth considering buying a new hard drive separately to replace it with - just make sure it's compatible... Otherwise, if you're definitely concerned about having a hard drive with decent space, there are still many laptops out there which do have larger hard drives, and so it may also be worth considering just going for one with a large capacity.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You should ahve let it drie out. the danger with coffee is all the impuritues especially any milk and sugar. You should have left it at least a week amd probably got someone to take a look by opening it up. the fact you tunred it back on so soon after doesnt sound good.

If you have a backyp all well and good, but if not then you need to take out the hdd and hope no liquid got into that otherwise your infrmation is gone. If you get a chrome book then thats very dependnat on the internet. If you wnat a full functioning windows laptop then you are looking at £250-300 for basic ones.

ReputationRep:
    OK, drying out electronics: Buy high-percentage isopropyl alcohol (99% is good), put it in a spray bottle and spray it on basically everything. Since what you spilled on wasn't water, clean out any residue of anything that you can see anywhere first, after leaving it to dry for a bit. Spray thoroughly, then leave it to dry thoroughly. If that doesn't fix it, it's probably dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSam3)
    OK, drying out electronics: Buy high-percentage isopropyl alcohol (99% is good), put it in a spray bottle and spray it on basically everything. Since what you spilled on wasn't water, clean out any residue of anything that you can see anywhere first, after leaving it to dry for a bit. Spray thoroughly, then leave it to dry thoroughly. If that doesn't fix it, it's probably dead.
    Do you mean open it up and spray/clean inside?

I opened it up to let it dry better and it looks like the photo. There's nothing obviously needing cleaned though the colour of the metal casing seems wrong. Should I take it apart more?

Name:  IMG_4184.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  202.0 KB

Where does isopropyl alcohol come from that's not online?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Do you mean open it up and spray/clean inside?

I opened it up to let it dry better and it looks like the photo. There's nothing obviously needing cleaned though the colour of the metal casing seems wrong. Should I take it apart more?

Name:  IMG_4184.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  202.0 KB
    Yeah, I'd get it in more or less anywhere you can get it, but do it sparingly, with nice small quantities (you don't want to clean the thermal paste off the CPU if you can avoid it). See here

Where does isopropyl alcohol come from that's not online?[/QUOTE]

No idea, never bought it offline. Maybe a chemists or an electronics shop? Apparently Maplins do it.This makes me think that somewhere that sells beauty products might be a decent bet as well.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    The fact you turned it on instead of waiting was the mistake. let it ry out a bit more but if there was damage to be done and to be made worse I think youve done it.
    It could be anywhere. You cna replace the hdd, but the rest of it will be too integrated.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch! Shouldn't you flip laptops (unplugged/off) upside down when you spill liquids on them? Let the liquid drain out rather than leak down onto the motherboard etc?

PlGLET
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PlGLET)
    Ouch! Shouldn't you flip laptops (unplugged/off) upside down when you spill liquids on them? Let the liquid drain out rather than leak down onto the motherboard etc?

PlGLET
    Yes but he's already turned it on anyway and isnt taking into account taking the bottom off still leaves most of it unaccessable. Its probably not worth repairing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, turning it back on was a mistake but because it seemed fine right after and I think I got most off the off right away I just thought it was fine, in retrospect not my best thought out idea. It's not worth repairing anyway, I was planning to replace it over the summer since it needs a new battery which will cost £70 for a dependable one- given it's few other minor problems I might as well buy a new one than spend £70 on it.

Getting isopropyl alcohol seems to be a pain so I think I'm just going to give it a bit, turn it back on and see what happens. How long to I let it dry before I decide if it's dead? It's been sat open since Friday afternoon

ReputationRep:
    If it's coffee then I guess you'll need to clean it as above ^. The residue from the coffee will eat into everything.
    I've seen isopropyl alcohol 99% being used to clean processors when applying/reapplying thermal paste; Is it also OK to use it on the other bits as above TSR member states?

PlGLET

ReputationRep:
    Re; the isopropyl alcohol: Have you tried amazon? "isopropyl alcohol cpu"

PlGLET

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlGLET)
    If it's coffee then I guess you'll need to clean it as above ^. The residue from the coffee will eat into everything.
    I've seen isopropyl alcohol 99% being used to clean processors when applying/reapplying thermal paste; Is it also OK to use it on the other bits as above TSR member states?

PlGLET
    The problem is I can't see/feel any residue, I'd need to work out how to take it further apart which I'm not sure is wise? Like the stickers aren't stained and it was black coffee so if it got that far, it must be nearer the keyboard (which doesn't come off). I'll go see if I can get the metal bit off easily and see what I can see then.

I didn't get that the cleaning was that important (and I'm probably being inpatient with it) I thought it was more about the drying

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing your options are like the others above stated;
    If it was water then you may get away with drying it off, but after a water spill you'd clean/dry it up.
    If it's coffee, then just letting it dry off will just allow the residue to affect stuff. You could be lucky as above states & eventually it turns on, maybe not even give you any further problems. We're in agreement the coffee caused the issue, so it needs to be cleaned.
    For the price of a bottle of isopropyl alcohol & watching a few YouTube videos, you may salvage it. Then just use as a back up/second screen if you're set on getting a new one. :-)

PlGLET

ReputationRep:
    I've had a thought...
    If you are ready to just sack it off/not clean/bin it (bottle of isopropyl alc. is £8.50); The bottle is probably large enough for you to clean your entire laptop (bar the processor/heat sink pasted area) & start up a laptop cleaning business... Therefore, I PlGLET will offer you £9 for your laptop
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1461496958.778758.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  34.0 KB

Spoiler:
    Show
    ;-)

Just take usual precautions when taking it apart, dump the power out/anti static band etc?) :-)

PlGLET

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.